Author Topic: Russia’s Newest Submarine, Khabarovsk, Could Redefine Underwater Warfare  (Read 212 times)

rangerrebew

Jun 9, 2020,07:59am EDT
Russia’s Newest Submarine, Khabarovsk, Could Redefine Underwater Warfare
H I Sutton

The Russian Submarine Khabarovsk will be armed with 6 Poseidon mega-torpedoes

The Russian Submarine Khabarovsk will be armed with 6 gigantic Poseidon mega-torpedoes H I Sutton

In a move that harks back to the Cold War, the Russian Navy is quietly developing a whole new category of submarines, and their unique capabilities could influence the nature of undersea warfare. The first of the new type, Khabarovsk, is expected to be launched this month. In my view, this is likely to be the defining submarine of the 2020s because it represents a novel and difficult adversary.

Other navies are unlikely to emulate it, but they will want to counter it. The underwater game of cat and mouse where U.S. Navy hunter-killer submarines stalk the Russians could be reinvigorated. But these new targets are not ballistic missile subs. Khabarovsk is instead designed to be armed with the gigantic Poseidon nuclear drone-torpedoes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2020/06/09/russias-newest-submarine-khabarovsk-could-redefine-underwater-warfare/#1dfd4bed4d4b