Author Topic: WRONG: History Channel Tags Slave-Holding Confederates as Red States  (Read 351 times)

rangerrebew

WRONG: History Channel Tags Slave-Holding Confederates as Red States
Scott Whitlock
June 13th, 2020 12:15 PM

The History Channel in late May produced a mostly laudable documentary series on Ulysses S. Grant, rightly hailing the legacy of the victorious Union general and the president who fought for civil rights. However, the series contained what’s become a recurring problem in some historical reflections on the Civil War. Throughout the three part series, the production repeatedly showed the slave-holding Confederates as red states and the Union north as blue states. In reality, it's the reverse.

As anyone familiar with history knows, the Confederates were Democrats. It was Abraham Lincoln’s Republican Party that fought the war to preserve the union and ultimately to end slavery. As Marine and retired U.S. Army War College professor Daniel Douds astutely explained Grant’s strategy to defeat the Confederates, the on-screen graphic showcased the (incorrect) blue state/red state dynamic.

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/scott-whitlock/2020/06/13/wrong-history-channel-tags-slave-holding-confederates-red-states

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: WRONG: History Channel Tags Slave-Holding Confederates as Red States
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:28:41 pm »
History Channel...   Revisonist garbage by a channel that should be sued for its name.  90% of their programming is non-historical reality TV.

Historical documentaries are some of my favorable viewing.  Grant by episode 3 (post CW) , had me snoozing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 12:33:15 pm »
In telling the story from the Union point of view, friendly blue, enemy red follows a standard convention in the U.S. military.

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 01:06:00 pm »
History of Texas Republican Party - the party of blacks:

"African Americans were one group of Texans that would consistently support the Republican Party in Texas in those early years. In fact, throughout Reconstruction, African Americans comprised about 90% of GOP membership, and 44 African Americans served in the Texas legislature as Republicans."

"It was through the hard work of a number of dedicated African American men and women that the earliest foundations of the Republican Party of Texas were laid. The first ever state Republican convention that met in Houston on July 4, 1867 was predominantly African American in composition, with about 150 African American Texans attending, and 20 Anglos."

"The second State GOP Chairman, Norris Wright Cuney, an African-American from Galveston who led the Republican Party from 1883 to 1897, is said by State historians to have held 'the most important political position given to a black man of the South in the nineteenth century.'"

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:24:58 am »

There were four in the county I grew up in who voted for Lincoln. They were asked to leave.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis