Author Topic: BP to lay off 10,000 workers after coronavirus-driven oil crash  (Read 354 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Paul Takahashi June 8, 2020

BP plans to lay off nearly 10,000 workers globally by the end of the year as it responds to the oil crash following a self-imposed 90-day moratorium on job cuts.

The U.K.-based oil major on Monday ended its three-month freeze and said it would start a process to shed thousands of jobs, most of which are office-based. The company said it plans to protect its rig workers, and prioritize safe and reliable operations.

BP has 70,100 employees around the world, including 4,000 in the Houston area, according to a Houston Chronicle survey. Houston is home to BP’s U.S. headquarters and its largest employee base.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/BP-to-lay-off-10-000-workers-globally-after-15324144.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: BP to lay off 10,000 workers after coronavirus-driven oil crash
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 01:45:43 pm »
Inevitable.

Those jobs will return, whether at BP or somewhere else.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: BP to lay off 10,000 workers after coronavirus-driven oil crash
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:56:24 pm »
BP might have jumped the gun on this reaction.  Displacing that percentage of workforce, typically means generous retirement packages for the Over '50 crowd.  Losing that experience might bite them in the rear in time. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.