Author Topic: Service Chiefs Acknowledge Racism in the Ranks, Pledge Dialogue, Change  (Read 209 times)

rangerrebew

Service Chiefs Acknowledge Racism in the Ranks, Pledge Dialogue, Change

June 3, 2020

After days of civil unrest and several Esper missteps, each one of the service branch chiefs has begun to speak out.

After a week of widespread civil unrest, U.S. military leaders of every service branch have emerged from a Pentagon-imposed silence to speak out publicly about racism in society and within the ranks — and obliquely, about the proper role of armed forces in a country roiled by protest.

Their statements came after President Donald Trump vowed on Monday to put “heavily armed” U.S. troops on city streets to confront protesters and quell violence, had National Guard and federal security personnel forcibly clear peaceful protestors away from the White House, and then surprised onlookers by walking with Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, and other administration officials through Lafayette Square for a photo op.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/06/military-brass-acknowledge-racism-ranks-pledge-dialogue-change/165896/?oref=d-dontmiss

rangerrebew

Racism has been in the military a long, long time - apparently.  I say apparently because these bold statements may be more of a reaction to rioting than the truth.  Let's assume it is true, what have the *sshats done about it in the 30-40 years they have been in the military in leadership positions?  I don't remember Imam Obama being particularly outspoken about it.  What did the first black president do about it, apparently nothing.  To me it seems the problem either doesn't exist or the reaction is an overblown response to assuage rioters and looters. :pondering: