Author Topic: D-Day at 76: Celebrations in France have been canceled for the first time since 1945  (Read 211 times)

rangerrebew

D-Day at 76: Celebrations in France have been canceled for the first time since 1945
Zach England

The Friends of American Veterans Association in France organizes ceremonies every year to honor American soldiers who gave their lives for the liberation of the country. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, almost all celebrations had to be canceled.

The tradition of honoring American veterans started in 1945 when the mayor of Sainte-Mere-Eglise, a town in Normandy, felt that he owed his gratitude to those who served.

Sainte-Mere-Eglise was the first town in Normandy to be liberated. It is perhaps best known by the 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper, Sgt. John Steele, whose parachute got caught up on a church steeple there in the early morning hours of June 6.

https://www.militarytimes.com/2020/06/06/d-day-at-76-celebrations-in-france-have-been-canceled-for-the-first-time-since-1945/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
This saddens me. All the young men (really boys) that lost their lives....

Seeing Normandy was on my bucket list of things to see in France if I ever got a chance to go back there. I’ve only seen Paris.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:54:01 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️