Author Topic: Joe Biden lead in polls does not ensure final victory for election  (Read 222 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joe Biden lead in polls does not ensure final victory for election
By Helmut Norpoth, opinion contributor — 06/05/20 04:00 PM EDT

Joe Biden is enjoying a comfortable lead over Donald Trump in national polls. The Real Clear Politics average has the former vice president ahead of the incumbent president by about 7 points; Biden is ahead even in the survey of a network, Fox News, not known as a liberal bastion. Does his lead in the polls now guarantee a victorious finish in November? The answer is a resounding no.

To begin with Trump, trailing Democratic contenders is nothing new for him. He was behind Hillary Clinton in polls at just about every moment in 2016 and wound up winning the election. This was by no means the rare exception that proves the rule. The terrain of presidential contests is littered with nominees who saw a poll lead in the spring turn to dust in the fall. The list is long and discouraging for early frontrunners. Beginning with Dewey (1948) it spans Nixon (1960), Carter (1980), Dukakis (1988), Bush (1992), and Kerry (2004), to cite just the most spectacular cases. What is it that makes early election polls such poor predictors of the finish?

One reason undoubtedly is the campaign. The real contest for votes in November does not begin in earnest until after the party conventions have formally nominated the presidential candidates. The best proof for the importance of the campaign is still Harry Truman’s “whistle-stop campaign” in 1948. Logging 20,000 miles on the Ferdinand Magellan with stops wherever the train took him, Truman literally gained ground on Dewey with every stop he made along the route. Polls missed the surge in Truman support since they quit polling a few weeks before Election Day, assuming that the race was over.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501368-joe-biden-lead-in-polls-does-not-ensure-final-victory-for-election
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MeganC

• I'm the same MeganC from Free Republic.
Re: Joe Biden lead in polls does not ensure final victory for election
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:39:59 pm »
Trump will win with more votes than he was elected with.
There is nothing feminine about feminism.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 09:03:37 pm »
Is Biden's lead over Trump more or less than Hillary Clinton's lead over Trump at this point four years ago?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 09:40:51 pm »
Biden Is benefiting by not  being in the public eye too much. People normally don’t start really scrutinizing candidates till after Labor Day
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:44:35 pm »
For the predictable suspects;
any poll showing a Trump defeat is a con, deceit, fraud, hoax and sham!!!!
any poll showing a Trump Victory is the Word of the Almighty, to be revered.
Who knew?????