Author Topic: Online voting is my 2020 cybersecurity nightmare  (Read 141 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Online voting is my 2020 cybersecurity nightmare
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:12:16 pm »
Online voting is my 2020 cybersecurity nightmare
By Lee Black, opinion contributor — 06/05/20 11:00 AM EDT

COVID-19 social distancing measures will likely continue through 2020 — or should — significantly impacting the November election. One proposed solution has been a shift to online voting — an approach that is the dream of many voting reform advocates and the nightmare of cyber and national security experts.

Online voting has an allure, given our pervasive use of the internet: We file taxes online, conduct banking transactions, meet future spouses, buy, and sell houses, and purchase a dizzying array of goods and services. We have shifted so much of our lives and responsibilities online that at times it seems backwards to not digitize every action. So why not voting?

There is no room for error with foundational democratic exercises like voting. In this case, the process is more important than the outcome. Trust is a critical element of the system for the winner, but more importantly, for the loser, whose acceptance of defeat based on the will of the people allows for a peaceful transition of power.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/cybersecurity/501306-online-voting-is-my-2020-cybersecurity-nightmare
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34