Author Topic: Why military leaders reacted so strongly to Trump's use of troops  (Read 2299 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: Why military leaders reacted so strongly to Trump's use of troops
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2020, 12:48:50 am »
I think the President's mouth has been writing a lot of checks he can't cash.  Let's review the past week:  He says he's designating Antifa a "terrorist organization."  Has he?  No.  He said he'll invoke the Insurrection Act.  Did he?  No.  He said he's sending in the military to quell the riots.  Did he?  Nope.

Faking threats is a bad idea.  He should know that, but seems to think a threat is as good as an action.  It isn't, it just breeds contempt.

ETA:  This is why I appreciate your insight into issues like this.  You know the score.

So, I guess the bully pulpit is not a thing anymore.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2020, 12:59:08 am »
So, I guess the bully pulpit is not a thing anymore.

It's not if the bully pulpit only issues empty threats.  We've seen too much of that lately.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2020, 01:01:29 am »
It's not if the bully pulpit only issues empty threats.  We've seen too much of that lately.

His backing down will cost us this Republic.  Anyone really doubt that?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2020, 03:14:45 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't their federal national guards and then national guards for each state?  The governors have the authority to call out the national guards in their states and Trump has the authority to call out the federal national guard. ???

@libertybele

The truth is the governors have the right to refuse to release their troops to the feral goobermint. It had to be set up that way to insure no governor found his state and people defenseless in an emergency.

The truth is a little shadier than that,though. The reality is any Governor who refuse to give up his NG troops would soon find most of the federal money going to his state cut off.

So,yes,a Governor CAN refuse to release his troops to the feds,but he is going to pay a high price if he does.

BTW,I have never been sent on one of these cluster-bleeps,but MY understanding in the active duty guys mostly hang in the background for backup in case things go seriously wrong.

When you look up and see the 82nd or the 101st Abn manning the barricades,it just got serious,though. Throw stuff at or attack them and you WILL pay a price in pain. Shoot at them and you will die.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2020, 03:17:39 am »
Did the Governor of Arkansas agree to having the military insist on school integration?  Seems to me he was rather against it.  Orval Faubus?

@Cyber Liberty

The Governor of Arkansas had no control whatsoever over the 101st Airborne Division,and that is who was sent into Little Rock to maintain the peace.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2020, 03:42:11 am »
IF Trump didn't intend to send in troops ... then he shouldn't have said so.  That's an awfully big threat. #1 he should have checked with military leaders before ever saying anything.  #2 For him not to go through with this threat will he not only be seen as weak, but his "enemy" will always call his bluff.  Not good.
-------------------------
Isightful and wise advice!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2020, 04:10:15 am »
Repeating, since 1789 the core purpose of our Military has been to protect and serve the
people and nation of the USA, which they have done honorably for more than 200 years.
As such, is it not highly plausible that the opposition of numerous Military Men to Trump's
intention to employ our Military in dispersing/disarming protestors and looters has little
to do w/any selfish interest and everything to do w/Trump's mercurial/volcanic temperament?
Consider if the plan goes wrong, who will carry the can??? Why the Military of course;
unless the usual suspects expect our 'stable genius' to stand up and accept responsibility!!!
Not like the Bonus Marchers?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2020, 04:28:12 am »
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/retired-generals-admirals-endorse-trump-227755

I seriously doubt these people changed. from 2016

Trump earns endorsement of 88 retired generals, admirals ...
www.politico.com › story › 2016/09 › retired-generals-...

as the Republican nominee looks to solidify support in the military community against Hillary Clinton in November.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2020, 11:27:37 am »
Not like the Bonus Marchers?

Also the Civil War draft riots, whiskey rebellion, etc. etc.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2020, 10:40:37 pm »
I think the President's mouth has been writing a lot of checks he can't cash.  Let's review the past week:  He says he's designating Antifa a "terrorist organization."  Has he?  No.  He said he'll invoke the Insurrection Act.  Did he?  No.  He said he's sending in the military to quell the riots.  Did he?  Nope.

Faking threats is a bad idea.  He should know that, but seems to think a threat is as good as an action.  It isn't, it just breeds contempt.

ETA:  This is why I appreciate your insight into issues like this.  You know the score.

You can only bluff for so long before people stop listening and/or someone calls you on it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!