Author Topic: On Sad Anniversary, Few to Mourn the D-Day Dead in Normandy  (Read 279 times)

rangerrebew

On Sad Anniversary, Few to Mourn the D-Day Dead in Normandy

The 76th anniversary of D-Day will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping government leaders and elderly veterans away.

Associated Press

Published 5 June 2020

SAINT-LAURENT-SUR-MER, France (AP) — At least the dead will always be there.

All too many have been, for 76 years since that fateful June 6 on France’s Normandy beaches, when allied troops in 1944 turned the course of World War II and went on to defeat fascism in Europe in one of the most remarkable feats in military history.

Forgotten they will never be. Revered, yes. But Saturday’s anniversary will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping almost everyone away — from government leaders to frail veterans who might not get another chance for a final farewell to their unlucky comrades.

Rain and wind are also forecast, after weeks of warm, sunny weather.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/06/05/on-sad-anniversary-few-to-mourn-the-d-day-dead-in-normandy/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: On Sad Anniversary, Few to Mourn the D-Day Dead in Normandy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 12:04:26 pm »
Never has there been more of a contrast......

Little or no commemoration for the 160,000 of the bravest (including my late FIL), which 10,000 perished in maybe the most harrowing example battlefield condtions.  All in the name of ending true facism and bigotry

Vs. millons and millions who celebrate one criminal drug addled thug's life who unfortunately died from overzealous cops. 

Sorry to politicize this.  I am that angry and disgusted.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:29:55 pm »
We all should be disgusted, catfish.

That some idiots on the left have tried to equate the Floyd rioters with the men who stormed the beaches and scaled the cliffs with bullets flying at their heads isn't just insanity, it's just pure badness.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 09:00:46 pm »
catfish:
"Sorry to politicize this.  I am that angry and disgusted."

You said it EXACTLY right.
Nothing to apologize for.
And that includes the late Mr. Floyd.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:28:30 pm »
If you ever have the opportunity, I recommend a visit to the beaches at Normandy. Visit the museum at Arromanches, walk along the beach, go to the American cemetery. It will affect you.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org