Author Topic: Shotgun Ammo Selection: The Slug  (Read 844 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Shotgun Ammo Selection: The Slug
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:37:15 am »
Swift | Silent | Deadly By Graveyard, on April 20, 2020

In my last article about shotguns I mentioned being a fan of the slug. I had planned to address this, but it drew quite a bit of email, so I’m addressing it a little sooner than I expected.

First, before we get going I want to quickly say something: I’m not giving you advice on what you should do, or trying to convince you to do what I do. If you don’t like slugs, or shotguns, or even long guns that’s cool, too – do you.

Second, what I would like to do is demonstrate and maybe pass on to you is a thought process. If you’re blindly following gun blog advice or basing your defensive ammo choices on what is available at WalMart, you should probably put just a bit more thought in. Here is how I got where I’m at. And I’ll probably change my mind at some point, so take it for what it’s worth.

Third, I don’t believe slugs are the end-all/be-all shotshell. As a case study in this matter: my brother-in-law is finally getting on board with some self-defense stuff. The other night he mentioned his lack of ammo for his shotgun. Did I give him slugs? No, I handed him a box of 50 Federal FliteControl 00 Buck. I’m not belittling him by doing so; I’m just giving him the slightly more forgiving option becasue he has put comparatively very, very little thought into the matter.

Welcome to Slugs

I didn’t come to the slug willingly, or through the happiest of circumstances. About three years ago I was (and generally still am) a big fan of Federal FliteControl buckshot. My 870 was easily a 40-yard gun with FliteControl loads (defined as being able to keep all pellets in the down-0 zone of a IDPA target) and I was perfectly happy with that. Ok, not perfectly happy. Wanting to see if I could squeeze just a bit more distance out of the dozen-gauge, I couldn’t leave well enough alone. I even pitched – and was approved to write – an article for an outlet where I occasionally write.

More: https://swiftsilentdeadly.com/shotgun-ammo-selection-the-slug/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Shotgun Ammo Selection: The Slug
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 07:11:17 am »
I used .410, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge rifled slugs to harvest whitetail where I grew up. All were effective, despite controversy over the .410, where shot placement is important.

For personal defense, if it can take down a deer, it can take down a man.
Be advised the wound can be horrific, especially with the 12 gauge. We avoided hitting meat, because the destruction could ruin a quarter of venison, but that same effect would stop an attacker.

Through and through penetration is likely, (We used Brenneke slugs and routinely observed it shooting deer through the rib cage from blinds set up to provide full on side shots) so be cautious of what's on the other side of the perp. Drywall penetration even after a through and through is possible, and could lead to serious injury or death of someone in the room behind the perp. For that reason I'd avoid using hunting slugs for apartment defense.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis