Author Topic: New hotness: Celebrity elite demand defunding of police departments  (Read 237 times)

rangerrebew

New hotness: Celebrity elite demand defunding of police departments

Ed MorrisseyPosted at 12:01 pm on June 4, 2020

That would be the celebrity elite that can afford their own private police force, right? Riiiiiight. One might think that a week-plus of rioting and looting would demonstrate the necessity of effective community-based policing, but not in Elysium, apparently:

A catalog of celebrities have signed an open letter urging local communities to defund police department budgets.

Celebrities such as Jane Fonda, Lizzo, Natalie Portman, Megan Rapinoe, and others signed the letter, according to Rolling Stone, which urges people to vote to decrease funds going to police departments to instead have the money go toward healthcare and education.

“We call for defunding of police and for those dollars to be rerouted to create a public national healthcare system,” the letter states, citing the Urban Institute’s findings that police budgets have increased by 220% since 1977, estimating $194 billion was spent in 2017.

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/06/04/new-hotness-celebrity-elite-demand-defunding-police-departments/

Offline Idiot

Re: New hotness: Celebrity elite demand defunding of police departments
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:25 pm »
This is a GREAT idea!  I say they start with NYC....no police.  See how that works out for you....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:33:22 pm »
Each precinct should be allowed to vote to defund or defund their own precincts.

We'll all find out real fast who the hypocrites are.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 05:45:59 pm »
Go ahead.

Just don't ask the rest of us to pay for the consequences of your choices.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:49:03 pm »
Go ahead.

That’s just it

These gated community celebrities don’t have to bear the consequences of their choices. It will be people in these higher crime communities that will bear it.

These celebrities hardest job is to virtue signal
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 05:50:12 pm »
Go ahead.

Let's start with Beverly Hills and vicinity.  Looters could probably get a good return on investment there.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.