Author Topic: WATCH: Ohio troopers assist woman whose brakes gave out on highway  (Read 305 times)

Offline EdinVA

Ohio police helped a woman corral her runaway car after her brakes failed on a busy interstate.
The 20-year-old woman was driving on I-77 Sunday when she ran into trouble, Fox 8 Cleveland reports. She couldn’t slow down or stop.
She called into the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and was transferred to the Cambridge Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, according to the station.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/watch-ohio-troopers-assist-woman-whose-brakes-gave-out-on-highway

Offline Applewood

Re: WATCH: Ohio troopers assist woman whose brakes gave out on highway
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »
Must have been one scary experience for this young lady.  Thank God she is safe.

And to all the dumbasses out there who say, *bleep* the police; we don't need them:   It's in situations like this and so many others that we need first responders.  If they are gone and your car's brakes fail, would you know what to do?  Who would be there to stop traffic so you didn't wreck into others and kill them as well as yourself?  Contrary to what you might think, police do a helluva lot of things not related to crime that benefit you and everyone else in your community.  Wise up!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: WATCH: Ohio troopers assist woman whose brakes gave out on highway
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:37 pm »
Must have been one scary experience for this young lady.  Thank God she is safe.

And to all the dumbasses out there who say, *bleep* the police; we don't need them:   It's in situations like this and so many others that we need first responders.  If they are gone and your car's brakes fail, would you know what to do?  Who would be there to stop traffic so you didn't wreck into others and kill them as well as yourself?  Contrary to what you might think, police do a helluva lot of things not related to crime that benefit you and everyone else in your community.  Wise up!
I am glad these officers were there to help this lady.

Yes, I would know what to do. I have been in that situation a few times. Hit the flashers (to let other drivers know something is amiss), downshift to slow down, pull over to the side as soon as possible. The modern master cylinder has two reservoirs, usually only one set of brakes fail (front or rear). If the rear brakes are all that's left, they won't slow you nearly as well as the front ones, which do 90% of the braking. The emergency/parking brake is mechanical, and not reliant on hydraulics in vehicles equipped with rear drum brakes (as all of mine are) and can be used to stop those last 20 or so miles per hour.  Hold the release and work the pedal with your foot, or in lever equipped parking brakes, hold the button and ease into the brake by pulling the lever. (At speed, sudden and forceful operation of the emergency/parking brake may lock up the rear wheels and that will result in a 180 degree turn, something to be avoided if that is not the desired effect).

That isn't decrying the police, who do much more than just arrest people. But you know the old saw...

"You never see a cop when you need one."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis