Author Topic: People hearing Pink Floyd for the first time  (Read 2593 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
People hearing Pink Floyd for the first time
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:43:58 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The above video is just one of probably hundreds that are very similar on You Boob right now. Apparently,it is now a "thing" for people to do music reviews on You Boob,and I guess some are even making money from it.

Anyhow,I stumbled on this by accident tonight,and have entertained myself by watching their reactions the first time in their lives they ever hear PF in action.

Many of these people are black,but not all. There are also white people in their 30's or older who have never heard PF before,but are playing it live,for the first time ever,in front of an audience so they can do their critique.

It is really hilarious to see and hear their reactions. Some are even crying when the song ends and say it changed their lives.

One guy stopped the song in less than 2 minutes of air play and stated "I just felt my soul leave my body.",with tears in his eyes.

One black guy says something like "I just played my first Pink Floyd song 3 days ago,and had one more each of the two last days. They are now my 3 favorite songs." By the time it ends,he now has 4 favorite songs.

I guess for people  under 40,Pink Floyd is a real revelation on how different and creative music CAN be once you
break away from what you normally hear.

Now,pardon me while I go back and watch some more.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:45:25 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: People hearing Pink Floyd for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 12:33:35 am »
I can't believe I am the only one fascinated by this.

These people are profoundly impacted by something most of us have know about and enjoyed for most of our lives.

Some are hit so hard they cry. That's as real as music gets.

I have been calling Pink Floyd "Blues from the 25th Century since the 70's.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:57:49 pm »
The first time I heard Pink Floyd was in 1970, when their Atom Heart Mother album came out. I loved it so much I went to see them at the Fillmore East that year. Talk about bad timing: the night after I saw them was the concert they played that was filmed for a PBS special.

I bought Atom Heart Mother and this one in the same trip . . . pun intended (no, I wasn't doing acid, but you'll get the idea when you hear it . . . )

Pink Floyd, A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:02:19 pm »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond  (David Gilmour)  -  Live at Pompei

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:06:50 pm »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond  (David Gilmour)  -  Live at Pompei

Pink Floyd live at Pompeii, 1971 . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:23:26 pm »
Great Gig in the Sky - Live '88

Thanks for thread, @sneakypete .  Seeing first time reaction was very poignant.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 05:26:19 pm »
Oakland 1977 - One of the absolute best concert recordings I have ever heard.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 06:08:22 pm »
"Timeless Music at its Best." That applies to the perios of about 1965-1975

Not sayin at all, that there isn't other great music outside those lines.

My tastes pretty broad, eclectic. Nat King Cole, Kingston Trio, ABBA, Steview Ray Vaughan, Van Morrison and many more
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 06:19:43 pm »
YouTube is full of reaction videos to music (all genres), TV shows, anime, movies... you name it, someone has made a video of themselves reacting to it. I guess it's like vicarious fandom, in a way, watching someone else discover and react to something you like (or don't like, for that matter.) 
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 07:54:54 pm »
Great Gig in the Sky - Live '88

Thanks for thread, @sneakypete .  Seeing first time reaction was very poignant.

@Hoodat

The female vocalists were something special in this world. They hold you spellbound for the entire long song,and never once sing a single word.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:58:41 pm by sneakypete »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 12:36:05 pm »
YouTube is full of reaction videos to music (all genres), TV shows, anime, movies... you name it, someone has made a video of themselves reacting to it. I guess it's like vicarious fandom, in a way, watching someone else discover and react to something you like (or don't like, for that matter.)
My suspicion is that most of those "reaction videos" are staged.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 12:53:21 pm »

@jmyrlefuller

I guess that depends on how you define "staged". If,like the black guy in the PF video,you were born in the 80's and all you had ever listened to was rap and "urban" "music",stuff like Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull would come as a shock.

I do think this guy is sincere about being impressed by it,though. He sometimes does a little singing to repeat lines,and the guy has chops. He KNOWS music,so I tend to believe his comments are genuine.

Remember,this stuff was already old and only being played on "oldies" rock and roll stations on the day he was born. He had no freaking idea what was in store for him when he started playing the songs.

BTW,there is a white couple in their 40's doing these reviews,and IMHO,they are as phoney as can be. We are supposed to believe they have been married over 20 years because they had a son that died that was a guitar player in a rock band,the father was a guitar player in a rock band,and the mother was a classical musician that had never heard rock in her life because her parents forbade her to do so.

To 99 percent of the teen world,forbidding them to do something is seen as a challenge.

I also admit to being biased against them because I see them trying to make fame and fortune off the bones of their dead son.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:57:21 pm by sneakypete »

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 02:35:16 pm »

That is certainly possible.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
Meh... Zeppelin is better.

But I like some of their songs. Goodbye blue skies is my favorite.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 03:00:38 pm »
High Hopes

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »
Led Zeppelin were a sloppy horror in concert after 1969-71.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 03:28:29 pm »
Led Zeppelin were a sloppy horror in concert after 1969-71.

Back to you, mon frere.

Grantchester Meadows

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 03:43:09 pm »
Back to you, mon frere.

Grantchester Meadows

The original with Syd Barrett:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . and a superb live performance with David Gilmour . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . and it turns out I was wrong about the Fillmore performance recorded for that PBS special. I had heard they had the second night at the Fillmore East stand where I saw them filmed and thought that for years; but they arranged for San Francisco PBS to film them while they played in an empty Fillmore West (I guess on a day no concert was scheduled) just for filming.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 03:50:03 pm »
From the same 1970 television special . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 07:12:05 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Don't worry about it. You are allowed to be wrong occasionally.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 08:27:51 pm »
This one goes out to @roamer_1 the Dog Whisperer.

Seamus

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 09:23:05 pm »
I can't believe I am the only one fascinated by this.

These people are profoundly impacted by something most of us have know about and enjoyed for most of our lives.

Some are hit so hard they cry. That's as real as music gets.

I have been calling Pink Floyd "Blues from the 25th Century since the 70's.

@sneakypete
I have watched that same feller and many many more... Black folks reacting to Country Music.
And it is mesmerizing... And healing to me... to see them find out what they have been missing... And in the reactions to their reactions... Finding out them rednecks ain't what they've been made out to be.

Watch em react to Simon and Garfunkel too... Jim Croce, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot...
Starry Night by Don McClean.... Wordsmiths, harmony... incredible beauty and meaning... it friggin REKT em. A long way from the ghetto rap they are used to.

And their appreciation is amazing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 11:11:40 pm »

@sneakypete
I have watched that same feller and many many more... Black folks reacting to Country Music.
And it is mesmerizing... And healing to me... to see them find out what they have been missing... And in the reactions to their reactions... Finding out them rednecks ain't what they've been made out to be.

Watch em react to Simon and Garfunkel too... Jim Croce, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot...
Starry Night by Don McClean.... Wordsmiths, harmony... incredible beauty and meaning... it friggin REKT em. A long way from the ghetto rap they are used to.

And their appreciation is amazing.

@roamer_1

I couldn't agree more,and seeing someone highlight what blacks and whites have in common instead of trying to cause conflict by driving wedges is like drawing a breath of fresh air. I have had black friends in the past that were my brothers in everything but blood,and I would have gladly drawn the blood from anyone who attacked them.

As they would have for me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 11:22:30 pm »
@roamer_1

I couldn't agree more,and seeing someone highlight what blacks and whites have in common instead of trying to cause conflict by driving wedges is like drawing a breath of fresh air. I have had black friends in the past that were my brothers in everything but blood,and I would have gladly drawn the blood from anyone who attacked them.

As they would have for me.

That's right.  :beer:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 12:46:23 am »
For later.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck