Author Topic: The A-10 Warthog took its first flight 48 years ago — here's how it became a troop favorite in the y  (Read 277 times)

rangerrebew

The A-10 Warthog took its first flight 48 years ago — here's how it became a troop favorite in the years since
Steve Balestrieri, SOFREP
May 13, 2020, 4:43 PM

DVIDS

The A-10 Thunderbolt made its first flight on May 10, 1972.

In the 48 years since, the "Warthog" has become a favorite among US and allied ground troops and a fearsome enemy for their foes.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Few US Air Force aircraft are as popular among the ground troops of the military as the A-10 Thunderbolt, aka "The Warthog."

https://www.businessinsider.com/a10-thunderbolt-warthog-makes-first-flight-on-may-10-1972-2020-5

Offline mortarman

In June of1978 our squadron  (I was in armored cavalry) was at Grafenwohr take advantage of the US Army Training Ranges. We were out at the mortar point doing live fire exercises when we received a cease fire order. Next thing we knew, four A-10s did strafing runs on targets in the impact area. We were in awe an' dang glad those things were on our side.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.