Author Topic: The Army’s Next-Generation Squad Weapon Is a Big Hit With SOCOM  (Read 234 times)

rangerrebew

The Army’s Next-Generation Squad Weapon Is a Big Hit With SOCOM

Next Generation Squad Weapon Science and Technology prototype

14 May 2020
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The 75th Ranger Regiment, Green Berets and other U.S. special operations ground forces will be equipped with the conventional Army's Next Generation Squad Weapons.

"We are an enthusiastic supporter of the Army's 6.8mm Next Generation Squad Weapons," Col. Joel Babbitt, of Program Executive Officer Special Operations Forces Warrior, told Military.com recently. "We expect there will be Next Generation Squad Weapons in our formations as soon as we can receive them via fielding."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/05/14/armys-next-generation-squad-weapon-big-hit-socom.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Let me go on record as being a fan,also.

The US Military does NOT need a short range light caliber bullet in today's conflicts. They need something with more weight that is a boatail spire tip design that is heavy enough to buck winds when shooting across canyons.

I would have MUCH preferred a 7mm round in a FN-FAL,but nobody asked me.

Soo,what will happen is the Defense Dept will spend tens of millions of dollars re-inventing a "wheel" that will NOT outperform the 7MM FN-FAL that can already be bought off the shelf from FN,and not accomplishing anything at all other than fluffing up some "connected" bank accounts.

Hell,chances are it won't even be as good as FN-FAL because they are going to HAVE to make some new modifications to a proven design to justify all the tens of millions they spent to get there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:23:18 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!