Author Topic: ‘My Mistake Was Relying On The Word Of The FBI’: Trey Gowdy Explains What He Did Wrong In Russia Pro  (Read 1421 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Virginia Kruta
Associate Editor
May 11, 2020 9:10 PM ET

Former Republican South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy admitted Monday that he made one big mistake at the outset of the Russia probe.

Gowdy told Fox News host and Daily Caller cofounder Tucker Carlson that his mistake was in taking the word of the FBI leadership rather than demanding to see the documents — a mistake he said he corrected within the first three weeks.

Carlson began the segment with a clip of Gowdy from 2018 after he had been briefed by the FBI.

“I am more convinced the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump,” Gowdy said at the time.

“I remember watching that and thinking, boy, I hope he is right,” Carlson said as the clip ended. “Do you still feel that way?”

more w/video
https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/11/relying-word-fbi-trey-gowdy-did-wrong-russia-probe/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:13:32 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, Trey, at least you weren't relying on the WHO and the CDC...

ALWAYS follow back to the sources as best you can, as completely as you can.
If you are reading reported conclusions, find out where those conclusions came from, and how they were derived.
See the supporting data, in complete context. So much can be taken out of context, quoted out of order, and the meaning completely changed. So many 'studies' study other 'studies' and each relies on the conclusions drawn in those studies, which may or may not be valid.

Building on a foundation of flawed models and questionable (even altered) data an entire empire of Anthropogenic Global Warming (now rebranded as "Climate Change") has cost the peoples of the World Trillions of dollars and untold misery and death, and still, in some circles dominates not only academic discussion but public policy, to the detriment of good science and the welfare of all.

Keep in mins, consensus and majority opinion mean little when the one in the minority is right, as often happens in science. EVERY person out there lauded as having made great advances was at risk of being shouted down as a crackpot by those who would wave the flag of "Everyone Knows". Even commonly held beliefs involving fundamental physical science were once controversial--things we take for granted, such as the sun being the central celestial body in the solar system.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:14:33 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
After a few years of watching the FBI from his ringside seat in Congress, I fail to see why he would have believed them.  As a former Prosecutor, he knows cops lie all the time.  Mrs. Liberty used to work in the courts, and she told me that Prosecutors who become Judges tend to favor Defendants because they know cops lie, while Defense Attorneys tend to favor Prosecutors as Judges, because they know Defendants lie.

Familiarity breeds contempt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
There is nothing about Trey Gowdy that impresses me.  Supposedly, he never lost as a prosecutor, but I never once witnessed him win anything during his tenure as a member of the House of Representatives.  He produced zero results, and I am tired of applauding people that accomplished nothing.

Fox News loves to bring him on, and he is an empty suit.  I turn the channel off when he appears now, because he is always surprised and unknowing.  He fits in my total idiot category.

And the history of the FBI is one of scandal during its entire existence.  J. Edgar Hoover was about as corrupt as they get, and their building is named after that b*st*rd.  Mueller, Comey, and even Wray are all questionable characters.

Offline PeteS in CA

Taking potshots at things said 2 years ago based on knowledge not known then is easy. And not very honest.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Taking potshots at things said 2 years ago based on knowledge not known then is easy. And not very honest.

What if I was taking potshots at it two years ago?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Potshots...what rock are you living under?

I am Republican and conservative, but the actions taken by James Comey were suspect every day in reference to Hillary Clinton.  Nothing he did made sense to me.  When Trump took office, I thought he would terminate James Comey day one, but he didn't.  Again, that failure on his part made no sense. 

There were criticisms of Robert Mueller before he was handed the special counsel investigation into the Russian interference in our election, with a focus on Trump. 

Even the actions taken by AG Sessions were questionable. 

Frankly, nothing done by the DOJ or AG has made sense to me for 10 of the last 11 years.  That is not a potshot, that is disgust at the failure of a critical agency.

Offline PeteS in CA

What if I was taking potshots at it two years ago?

The word for that is "Prescience".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The word for that is "Prescience".

I'll accept that assessment.   :tongue2:  It wasn't hard to come up with, after having watched Comey bend over backwards (with a half-twist) to "exonerate" Hillary Clinton of her illegal handling of classified documents on her bathroom server.  Of course the FBI is currupt, and as such does corrupt things.

Trey Gowdy had to have seen what we all did.  This was before he fumbled his duty in Congress.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:58:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

Potshots...what rock are you living under?

I am Republican and conservative, but the actions taken by James Comey were suspect every day in reference to Hillary Clinton.  Nothing he did made sense to me.  When Trump took office, I thought he would terminate James Comey day one, but he didn't.  Again, that failure on his part made no sense. 

There were criticisms of Robert Mueller before he was handed the special counsel investigation into the Russian interference in our election, with a focus on Trump. 

Even the actions taken by AG Sessions were questionable. 

Frankly, nothing done by the DOJ or AG has made sense to me for 10 of the last 11 years.  That is not a potshot, that is disgust at the failure of a critical agency.
Mueller is an attack dog, but often latches onto the wrong prey. Look at the investigation of the Anthrax attacks, and Mueller spent years going after the wrong guy, ignoring evidence that he was not guilty, and that he didn't even work with viruses. Instead, the man's career was ruined, his name befouled, starting with a televised swat style raid to drag him out early in the morning. (sound familiar), and continuing with harassment (stopped twice in the same block for not using his turn signal).

Investigators are supposed to follow the evidence, not decide who is guilty or not and then chase down anything that might point to that preconceived conclusion, regardless of what may be discovered to prove otherwise.
He is just one of those who approached this from the viewpoint of "Here's the target, now find a crime".

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

Mueller is an attack dog, but often latches onto the wrong prey. Look at the investigation of the Anthrax attacks, and Mueller spent years going after the wrong guy, ignoring evidence that he was not guilty, and that he didn't even work with viruses. Instead, the man's career was ruined, his name befouled, starting with a televised swat style raid to drag him out early in the morning. (sound familiar), and continuing with harassment (stopped twice in the same block for not using his turn signal).

Investigators are supposed to follow the evidence, not decide who is guilty or not and then chase down anything that might point to that preconceived conclusion, regardless of what may be discovered to prove otherwise.
He is just one of those who approached this from the viewpoint of "Here's the target, now find a crime".

...and Mueller’s incompetence cost taxpayers millions in settlement money for that wrongful prosecution (I didn’t check the exact amount but it was in the tens of millions).

So much for his stellar reputation.

Offline Smokin Joe

...and Mueller’s incompetence cost taxpayers millions in settlement money for that wrongful prosecution (I didn’t check the exact amount but it was in the tens of millions).

So much for his stellar reputation.
As it should have been--Hatfil deserved that, but Mueller & Co. should have been summarily sacked.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
As it should have been--Hatfil deserved that, but Mueller & Co. should have been summarily sacked.

...and never hired again.  Yet, here we are.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

That's right. Normalcy bias and deferrment to authority are the big two. Automatic. Ingrained. Herd features.

Try speaking against them. Try being a flat-earther just for the sake of the argument sometime. Rattle a few cages. It's a trip you soon won't forget.

Offline Smokin Joe

That's right. Normalcy bias and deferrment to authority are the big two. Automatic. Ingrained. Herd features.

Try speaking against them. Try being a flat-earther just for the sake of the argument sometime. Rattle a few cages. It's a trip you soon won't forget.
I have on a couple of occasions been the only person in the room who was right. When everyone else reaches a consensus, being the lone voice in disagreement is hard. It's even harder watching people steer a project toward disaster when you know you are right.
For that reason, you stick to your guns, sometimes even when it isn't welcome.
And there is little satisfaction in watching the disaster you predicted unfold.
Been there, done that, and you won't even get a t-shirt.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I have on a couple of occasions been the only person in the room who was right. When everyone else reaches a consensus, being the lone voice in disagreement is hard. It's even harder watching people steer a project toward disaster when you know you are right.
For that reason, you stick to your guns, sometimes even when it isn't welcome.
And there is little satisfaction in watching the disaster you predicted unfold.
Been there, done that, and you won't even get a t-shirt.

That's right.   :beer:

Online mountaineer

Just having read "Mayhem: Unanswered Questions about the Tsarnaev Brothers, the US Government and the Boston Marathon Bombing," by Michele R. McPhee, I'm not sure I'd believe anything the FBI said. All of those shenanigans took place on Obama and Robert Mueller's watch (or at their direction, more likely), and Comey just continued the lies when he became FBI director.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Slide Rule

Trey Gowdy's mistake was not in trusting others, it was not
trusting his own common sense.

I thought in law that everyone testimony is equal until proven
false.

He is a great attorney with a few flaws. He is still young and
has had the spotlight for a relatively short time. He will recover.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:02:57 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

You've been on this "trip" since you arrived.  That's all you do here is "rattle a few cages"

"...just for the sake of the argument".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just having read "Mayhem: Unanswered Questions about the Tsarnaev Brothers, the US Government and the Boston Marathon Bombing," by Michele R. McPhee, I'm not sure I'd believe anything the FBI said. All of those shenanigans took place on Obama and Robert Mueller's watch (or at their direction, more likely), and Comey just continued the lies when he became FBI director.

I'm to the point of not being able to believe anything the FBI might say now.  That might just get me off of federal jury duty next time I'm called.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

You've been on this "trip" since you arrived.  That's all you do here is "rattle a few cages"

"...just for the sake of the argument".

Well yes. The truth does tend to rattle a few cages

Online mountaineer

I'm to the point of not being able to believe anything the FBI might say now.  That might just get me off of federal jury duty next time I'm called.
I've never been called for federal jury duty, and have been summoned for county jury duty only once (a civil case that was settled without trial). It's kind of disappointing! I'd love to do it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Night Hides Not

Never been called to sit on a jury...I'm disqualified when I answer yes to "have you ever sat on a military courts martial?"

What the defense attorneys don't know is that we acquitted the defendant.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline EdinVA

Trump was yelling from the rooftops that the FBI was broken and everyone, Gowdy included, ignored him.

Offline GrouchoTex

Gowdy was supposed to have dogged determination and get to the truth of all of this.
Obviously, it didn't quite work out as planned.
There was talk, once upon a time, that he would make a good Attorney General.
That will disappear, since he would most likely side, rightly or wrongly, with the LEO's under his watch.
Loyalty isn't a bad thing at all, but the truth must win the day.