Author Topic: Is Our Modern Administrative State Unmoored from the Morality of Law?  (Read 399 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Federalist Society
by Richard A. Epstein
Apr 24 2020

As we approach the seventy-fifth anniversary of the 1946 enactment of the Administrative Procedure Act (APA),[1] judges, practitioners, and academics continue a vigorous debate on the current state of administrative law.[2] How should Congress and the federal courts respond to criticisms of administrative agency overreach? In The Dubious Morality of Modern Administrative Law, Professor Richard A. Epstein joins this debate, addressing fundamental questions on the legitimacy of modern administrative law.[3]

Epstein brings to this task impressive credentials. He is the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of Law at the New York University School Law, the Peter and Kirsten Bedford Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, and the James Parker Hall Distinguished Service Professor of Law Emeritus at the University of Chicago Law School, where he is a Senior Lecturer. He has written over 20 books and numerous articles on law and other subjects. Epstein applies decades of expertise in both law and economics to his careful dissection of administrative law issues.

In his classic work, The Morality of Law, the late Professor Lon L. Fuller argued that “the moral framework for evaluating the rule of law should be independent of any assessment of the substance of the rules in question.”[4] Fuller explained that adherence to such a moral framework creates reciprocity between the citizen and the government as to the observance of such rules.[5] In their 2018 article, The Morality of Administrative Law, Professors Cass Sunstein and Adrian Vermeule recognize that many critics of the modern administrative state have relied on Fuller’s principles in expressing concern about abuses of agency power.[6] The authors explain that various judge-made doctrines enable the courts to monitor and correct agency deviations from Fuller’s principles.[7] They argue that in the “real world” of modern American administrative law, the problem is not the failure of the rule of law, but an insufficiency in agency application of the principles.[8] They also caution that Fuller’s principles must be balanced against an agency’s “institutional role and capacities, resource limitations, and programmatic objectives,” which means that agencies may need to use “open-ended standards,” proceed on an ad hoc basis, or apply managerial judgment and make difficult economic allocations in resolving issues.[9]

(more)
https://fedsoc.org/commentary/publications/is-our-modern-administrative-state-unmoored-from-the-morality-of-law?fbclid=IwAR2bQQxmMB_LGvtYgkDWqDVCyqvPefe_t9urkTyYZjs5hbXmxfycJIgoay4
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EdinVA

Great philosophical diatribe, but worthless.
Rules/Laws are interpreted to meet political agendas and to grow the agency, hence bring in more revenue, there is nothing altruistic about it.
Couple that with the incompetence of the congressional oversight, inspector general oversight and the corrupt legal system, the agencies can do just about anything they want.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Great philosophical diatribe, but worthless.
Rules/Laws are interpreted to meet political agendas and to grow the agency, hence bring in more revenue, there is nothing altruistic about it.
Couple that with the incompetence of the congressional oversight, inspector general oversight and the corrupt legal system, the agencies can do just about anything they want.

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frederic Bastiat
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There are so many laws and regulations, so complex, that they now exist in a world unto themselves.

"Morality" has no application to this tower of paper.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”
Ayn Rand
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Ayn Rand

One of my all-time favorite quotes!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
One of my all-time favorite quotes!   :beer:
And so true!  :beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis