Author Topic: New York Sits On A Natural-Gas Gold Mine They Refuse To Tap  (Read 508 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Climate Change Dispatch by Kevin Mooney on May 7, 2020

New York Democrats who are asking Congress to supply them with what is widely described as a “coronavirus bailout” would be in a stronger economic and political position today if they took advantage of their state’s natural resources.

Unlike neighboring Pennsylvania, New York has banned the use of hydraulic fracturing that can be used to extract oil and natural gas deposits available within an underground rock formation known as the Marcellus Shale.

For this reason, New York residents have lost out on an energy production boom that would have enabled the state to produce more than enough natural gas to cover its own heating, electrical, and industrial needs.

In fact, New York has enough untapped resources to become an exporter of natural gas to other states.

More: https://climatechangedispatch.com/new-york-sits-natural-gas-gold-mine-refuse-to-tap/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: New York Sits On A Natural-Gas Gold Mine They Refuse To Tap
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:48:00 am »
Why bother? Between NYC and Albany there's enough hot air to heat the Northeast.

It just sucks for the people who own mineral rights to the land beneath them and who could have had decent paying jobs as well...and all the spinoff economic benefits that can come with a boom.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:49:06 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 02:09:41 am »
Let the Pa frackers drill under the NYS border.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 02:21:04 am »
Let the Pa frackers drill under the NYS border.
NOT allowed. There are strict constraints and hardlines with setbacks to any lease expressly for the purpose of preventing producing oil or gas from under adjacent leases. Surveys taken by MWD are a legal document and part of the well records. Altering or falsifying them would be tantamount to perjury, and data are transmitted in real time to the operator, and must be made available to the governing entity.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:10:46 am »
NOT allowed. There are strict constraints and hardlines with setbacks to any lease expressly for the purpose of preventing producing oil or gas from under adjacent leases. Surveys taken by MWD are a legal document and part of the well records. Altering or falsifying them would be tantamount to perjury, and data are transmitted in real time to the operator, and must be made available to the governing entity.
------------------
Fair enough and thanks.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:24:21 pm »
I like this twist.

Why give money to a state that chooses to deny it's own citizens income to benefit the state?

If a state wishes its sovereignty to decide it's own future, then why does it need funds from other states?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 07:28:43 pm »
I like this twist.

Why give money to a state that chooses to deny it's own citizens income to benefit the state?

If a state wishes its sovereignty to decide it's own future, then why does it need funds from other states?
Right. Stupid should hurt. Elect stupid, and you voted for it.

C S Lewis