Author Topic: Coronavirus survivors banned from joining the military  (Read 662 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Coronavirus survivors banned from joining the military
« on: May 07, 2020, 01:27:00 am »
Military Times 05/06/2020

As the Defense Department negotiates its way through the coronavirus pandemic and its fallout, military entrance processing stations are working with new guidance when it comes to bringing COVID-19 survivors into the services.

A past COVID-19 diagnosis is a no-go for processing, according to a recently released MEPCOM memo circulating on Twitter.

“During the medical history interview or examination, a history of COVID-19, confirmed by either a laboratory test or a clinician diagnosis, is permanently disqualifying ...” the memo reads.

More: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Coronavirus survivors banned from joining the military
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:45:37 am »
:pondering: Does this mean they are going to discharge all the current members of the military that have or test positive for Coronavirus? I am having trouble grasping the permanently disqualified thing.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:27:00 am »
That is a weird thing to say.  I would think, they WANT healthy people who survived this virus & are now immune. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:43:00 pm »
Well, what does this say to the concept of "herd immunity"?

I'm wondering if this story doesn't edge into the fake news category, or is being mis-reported.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:31:04 am »
Updated guidance allows unhospitalized COVID-19 survivors to join the military

Military Times 5/7/2020

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/07/updated-guidance-allows-unhospitalized-covid-19-survivors-to-join-the-military/

The command in charge of processing new recruits into the services has updated its policy for accessing coronavirus survivors, loosening restrictions banning anyone who has been diagnosed to only those who were hospitalized because of complications.

The change came days after an original memo circulated on Twitter, causing an uproar in the face of a pandemic that will touch millions of Americans, according to public health estimates.

That guidance was part of an “interim” memo, which characterized a COVID-19 diagnosis as a no-go, updated on Wednesday, a defense official told Military Times.

“During the medical history interview or examination, a history of COVID-19, confirmed by either a laboratory test or a clinician diagnosis, is permanently disqualifying ...” the memo reads.

Military Entrance Processing Command will now accept recruits who have previously tested positive for coronavirus as long as they haven’t been hospitalized, the official confirmed, a clarifying update of what is still interim guidance.

More at link.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:02:06 am »
That makes a little more sense. Having been hospitalized likely means some lung damage may have occurred. Like a history of Asthma as a child that went away with puberty, it would be a disqualification.

(My brother tried to join the Air Force, they denied him. He'd played Sousaphone in a shuck-and-jive marching band for four years (through High School) and had just graduated when he tried to get in.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:26 am »
My son had Asthma as a child, but it cleared up when we pulled the carpet outta the house. He had no problem joining the Navy.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 02:33:38 am »
My son had Asthma as a child, but it cleared up when we pulled the carpet outta the house. He had no problem joining the Navy.
In 1971 The Air Force rejected my brother and claimed a history of Asthma as the reason. My brother had shots for years, but played a B-flat coronet in bands from grade school, and switched to the Sousaphone in High School because the band was one short for the marching line-up. They would shuck and jive through miles-long parade routes like the Volunteer Fireman's State Convention Parade in Ocean City MD (at the time the vast majority of firefighters in MD were volunteer). His asthma went away with puberty.

Didn't matter, they 4-F'd him.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:56 am »
Well it was 2005 when he joined up with 4 others from his HS wrestling team.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 03:03:02 am »
Sounds like a policy that hasn't been thought through very well.   If they stick to it, we'll have a significant man-power shortage in the military, as I fully expect more or less the whole population not just of the US, but of the whole developed world to have caught it.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 03:16:07 am »
That makes a little more sense. Having been hospitalized likely means some lung damage may have occurred. Like a history of Asthma as a child that went away with puberty, it would be a disqualification.

(My brother tried to join the Air Force, they denied him. He'd played Sousaphone in a shuck-and-jive marching band for four years (through High School) and had just graduated when he tried to get in.)

One would think his lungs are in great shape, after all the exercising them, with saxophone.  Blowing in and out. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:18 am »
One would think his lungs are in great shape, after all the exercising them, with saxophone.  Blowing in and out.
Not saxophone, Sousaphone: (Tuba variety).

Marching for three miles of parade route, playing and doing the choreographed drills similar to the half-time ones.

His lungs were in great shape, but they said no.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 04:17:02 am »
Not saxophone, Sousaphone: (Tuba variety).

Marching for three miles of parade route, playing and doing the choreographed drills similar to the half-time ones.

His lungs were in great shape, but they said no.

Holy moly.....I thought maybe a typo? or auto correct.  That is ONE BIG INSTRUMENT.  Never heard of that before.  TUBA , yes.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 04:19:55 am »
Holy moly.....I thought maybe a typo? or auto correct.  That is ONE BIG INSTRUMENT.  Never heard of that before.  TUBA , yes.
Yes, we were stunned when they turned him down on the basis of his medical history.

But it was 1971 and The military was starting their RIF, already having reduced troops in South Vietnam by half...

Sign of the times.

C S Lewis