Author Topic: [updated] 'Feeding my kids is not selfish': Defiant Texas salon owner sentenced to seven days in jai  (Read 4279 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas governor calls for immediate release of salon owner jailed for defying coronavirus restrictions
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/496440-texas-governor-calls-for-immediate-release-of-jailed-salon-owner
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This "Judge" doesn't care, and will not release her over this announcement.  My humble opinion based on no special knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:01:36 pm by mystery-ak »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GoFundMe amount soars for new American hero, salon owner Shelley Luther after 7k in fines and jail

A GoFundMe page set up for Dallas salon owner Shelley Luther has raised over $273,000 in funds from supporters who want to help her with the $7,000 fine and other costs she has incurred after she “decided to resist tyranny” by defying county orders and opening her salon for business in order to feed her family.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/05/06/gofundme-amount-soars-for-new-american-hero-salon-owner-shelley-luther-after-7k-in-fines-and-jail-917703
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Looks like this judge just stepped in it.  Good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Looks like this judge just stepped in it.  Good.

This dispicable judge's statement bears repeating ....

That you now see the error of your ways and understand that the society cannot function when one's own belief in a concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials," Moye said. "That you owe an apology to the elected officials for whom you disrespected for flagrantly ignoring and, in one case, defiling their orders, which you now know obviously applies to you."

When the level condescencion reaches this level, you know it is time to take drastic action to take the country back.  Hope the good folks in Dallas provide this judge a little welcoming committee each time he makes it to his courthouse.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This dispicable judge's statement bears repeating ....

That you now see the error of your ways and understand that the society cannot function when one's own belief in a concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials," Moye said. "That you owe an apology to the elected officials for whom you disrespected for flagrantly ignoring and, in one case, defiling their orders, which you now know obviously applies to you."

When the level condescencion reaches this level, you know it is time to take drastic action to take the country back.  Hope the good folks in Dallas provide this judge a little welcoming committee each time he makes it to his courthouse.
Nowhere in that statement does the judge affirm those 'duly elected officials' have the constitutional power to enact those orders.

Let's throw that back at that tyrant.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I presume the Bailiff remanded her directly to the Sheriff, and went straight to jail.  If Abbot is a "stand-up guy," she would have been Pardoned by now.  I have not seen a story that she was Pardoned, so the Governor doesn't appear to be a stand-up guy.

GoFundMe's well over $300,000 now.  That will help.  I'll bet she donates it to somebody, after spiffing up the shop.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Just looked this up as it is likely we will see one or all being activated on this tyrant

Methods of Judicial Selection: Texas
Removal of Judges

Texas judges may be removed in one of four ways:
The state commission on judicial conduct investigates, and if warranted, prosecutes allegations of misconduct by Texas judges. Upon a commission recommendation of removal or retirement, the supreme court selects a review tribunal from among court of appeals judges to verify the findings and enter a judgment. Judges may appeal decisions of the review tribunal to the supreme court.

Judges may be removed by the governor on the address of two thirds of the house and senate.

Judges may be impeached by the house of representatives and removed by two thirds of the senate.

The supreme court may remove district court judges from office.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Last I heard, Abbott's is pretty much full time responding to County Judge's requests for clarifcation of his Re-open plan.
AG is probably the one who should be weighing in.
Finally
AG Paxton, Gov. Abbott Call for Release of Jailed Dallas Salon Owner Who Defied Executive Order

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/ag-paxton-gov-abbott-call-for-release-of-dallas-salon-owner/2364608/

Offline LadyLiberty

I presume the Bailiff remanded her directly to the Sheriff, and went straight to jail.  If Abbot is a "stand-up guy," she would have been Pardoned by now.  I have not seen a story that she was Pardoned, so the Governor doesn't appear to be a stand-up guy.

GoFundMe's well over $300,000 now.  That will help.  I'll bet she donates it to somebody, after spiffing up the shop.

In Texas the governor cannot grant a pardon unless the Board of Pardons and Paroles votes first and agrees to the pardon with a majority vote.

This is why:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_A._Ferguson  You can skip down to the last paragraph of the views and policies section if you don't want to read the whole thing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Finally
AG Paxton, Gov. Abbott Call for Release of Jailed Dallas Salon Owner Who Defied Executive Order

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/ag-paxton-gov-abbott-call-for-release-of-dallas-salon-owner/2364608/

Abbot and Paxton can "call for" it until the cows come home, and that pr*ck Judge will stand firm because he needs that scalp.  He must be impeached.
I will NOT comply.

Abbot and Paxton can "call for" it until the cows come home, and that bleep Judge will stand firm because he needs that scalp.  He must be impeached.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,400841.msg2205522.html#msg2205522

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,400841.msg2205522.html#msg2205522

I vote, "Removed by Supreme Court."  It's faster, and he could be looking for one of those fabulous unemployment checks before she get out of jail.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rep. Crenshaw slams ‘small-minded leaders drunk with power’ for arresting business owner

American Military News by  Ryan Morgan  May 06, 2020

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/05/rep-crenshaw-slams-small-minded-leaders-drunk-with-power-for-arresting-business-owner/

Former U.S. Navy SEAL and Republican Congressman Dan Crenshaw slammed local governments for excessive punishments after Texas salon owner Shelley Luther was arrested and sentenced to jail for breaking coronavirus lockdown orders.

In a tweet, Crenshaw responded to a televised court proceeding broadcast over the Zoom teleconference service in which Luther said she would not apologize for opening her salon or the assertion that she was selfish for doing so. Luther was eventually sentenced, to which Crenshaw warned such punishments are “NOT just.”

“These punishments are NOT just. They are not reasonable,” Crenshaw tweeted. “Small-minded ‘leaders’ across the country have become drunk with power. This must end.”

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texans Rally to Free Jailed Salon Owner

Texas Scorecard by Robert Montoya May 6, 2020

https://texasscorecard.com/metroplex/texans-rally-to-free-jailed-salon-owner/

At a Wednesday morning rally in support of a North Texas businesswoman, grassroots activists and leaders demanded action from the governor.

The morning after a North Texas businesswoman was fined and imprisoned for daring to open her hair salon before governing authorities permitted it, grassroots activists and leaders gathered and demanded that Texas Gov. Greg Abbott pardon her. He has yet to do so and has alleged he can’t.

On Tuesday afternoon, Gov. Greg Abbott announced hair salons may open on May 8, with restrictions. But later that evening, Shelley Luther, owner of Salon A La Mode in Dallas, was sentenced by Judge Eric Moye to seven days in jail for criminal contempt of court and seven days for civil contempt of court; both sentences are to be served concurrently. Moye also fined Luther $500 a day for the seven days she has been open and will continue the daily fines until May 8.

“Sir, if you think the law is more important than kids getting fed, then please go ahead with your decision, but I am not going to shut the salon,” Luther told Moye when he offered her a lighter sentence if she’d apologize for being “selfish” when she reopened her salon earlier than allowed.

Since then, 23 members of the State Republican Executive Committee wrote an open letter asking Abbott to issue a pardon for Luther.

The next morning, grassroots activists and leaders gathered across the street from the very courthouse where Luther was sentenced, chanting, “Pardon Shelley Now!”

More at link.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
DEVELOPING: GOP leaders in Texas criticize judge who ordered Dallas salon owner jailed

6KFDM 5/6/2020

https://kfdm.com/news/local/developing-gop-leaders-in-texas-criticize-judge-who-ordered-dallas-salon-owner-jailed

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter to the judge Wednesday asking him to release Luther from jail. U.S. Senator Ted Cruz also expressed support for her. Both are Republicans.

“I find it outrageous and out of touch that during this national pandemic, a judge, in a county that actually released hardened criminals for fear of contracting COVID-19, would jail a mother for operating her hair salon in an attempt to put food on her family’s table,” Paxton said.

Abbott called the salon owner’s punishment “excessive.”

“Compliance with executive orders during this pandemic is important to ensure public safety; however, surely there are less restrictive means to achieving that goal than jailing a Texas mother,” Abbott said in a statement.

In response, a letter to Paxton signed by Moye and the 11 other Dallas County civil district court judges called the attorney general’s letter to a judge about a pending case an improper communication under the Texas Code of Judicial Conduct. The judges told Paxton they “trust this shall not happen further.”

More at link.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
DEVELOPING: GOP leaders in Texas criticize judge who ordered Dallas salon owner jailed

6KFDM 5/6/2020

https://kfdm.com/news/local/developing-gop-leaders-in-texas-criticize-judge-who-ordered-dallas-salon-owner-jailed

Maybe they'll be happier with a call from  the TX Supreme Court?

ETA:  The case is not a "Pending Case."  The judge sentenced the defendant, and carried out the sentence immediately.  End of pending.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:23:21 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Texas Lt. Gov. Patrick says he will pay salon owner's fine and take her place in jail so she can keep working
'7 days in jail, no bail and a $7K fine is outrageous'

Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick said that he would pay the $7,000 fine for a salon owner arrested for defying social distancing orders, and offered to be placed under house arrest to take her place in jail.

helley Luthor became the masked face of the anti-lockdown movement when she gave a passionate response to a judge demanding her to apologize and admit she was wrong to re-open her salon amidst the coronavirus pandemic.

"7 days in jail, no bail and a $7K fine is outrageous. No surprise Texans are responding," tweeted Patrick on Wednesday.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/dan-patrick-offers-to-pay-salon-owners-fine
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline LegalAmerican

Judge is a black male judge.  DEMOCRAT?  She is a beautiful white, blond woman.  RACIST, RACIST, JUDGE!  snark.

Love  Dan Bongino and my 4 J'S.  Unite America First.  This judge is a POS.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:41:24 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Judge is a black male judge.  DEMOCRAT?  She is a beautiful white, blond woman.  RACIST, RACIST, JUDGE!  snark.

Love  Dan Bongino and my 4 J'S.  Unite America First.  This judge is a POS.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Well @sneakypete I guess this explains what @LegalAmerican meant the other day.  Pretty telling.

I am all for the Salon owner but not sure how race factors into it?  I guess blond is important.  Maybe blue eyes too.  Eugenics anyone?

How do you feel about planned parenthood @LegalAmerican?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:15:39 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

GoFundMe amount soars for new American hero, salon owner Shelley Luther after 7k in fines and jail

A GoFundMe page set up for Dallas salon owner Shelley Luther has raised over $273,000 in funds from supporters who want to help her with the $7,000 fine and other costs she has incurred after she “decided to resist tyranny” by defying county orders and opening her salon for business in order to feed her family.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/05/06/gofundme-amount-soars-for-new-american-hero-salon-owner-shelley-luther-after-7k-in-fines-and-jail-917703

That's 'Take It To The Limit' money right there. And it's a beautiful thing.