Author Topic: Dr. Birx calls protesters without masks ‘devastatingly worrisome’  (Read 966 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Dr. Birx calls protesters without masks ‘devastatingly worrisome’
NY Post, May 3, 2020

Dr. Deborah Birx said protesters who gather without wearing masks and not practicing social distancing at rallies against states’ lockdown regulations are “devastatingly worrisome” because they could spread the coronavirus to at-risk family members.

Birx, a member of the White House coronavirus task force, was asked by host Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday” about crowds that gathered at Michigan’s state capitol from a “public health standpoint.”

“It’s devastatingly worrisome to me personally because if they go home and, in fact, their grandmother or their grandfather who has a co-morbid condition and they have a serious or a very or an unfortunate outcome, they will feel guilty for the rest of our lives,” she responded. “So we need to protect each other at the same time we’re voicing our discontent.”

[...]

Birx was also asked about whether it was safe for businesses like nail salons, gyms and spas to reopen in states that have loosened lockdown restrictions.

She said it was safer if both parties wore masks, “but we’ve made it clear that that is not a good phase one activity, and I think the president’s made that clear when he discussed the case in Georgia.”

More:  https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/birx-calls-protesters-without-masks-devastatingly-worrisome/

Has anyone seen Birx in a mask?

Offline Applewood

Haven't seen anyone in authority, from Trump on down, in a mask.  That includes state and local officials.  It's the old, "do as I say, not as I do" routine. 

And as for not opening salons, these "experts" are full of *bleep*.  I said this elsewhere -- ok, salons can't work on customers from six feet away, but there are plenty of precautions that can be taken to make them safe.  How long are we to go without haircuts?  I'm starting to look like Sasquatch.

Offline roamer_1

How long are we to go without haircuts?  I'm starting to look like Sasquatch.

I already DO look like Sasquatch... At which point it ceases to matter until mid June or so...

Offline mountaineer

Memories ...
WHO stands by recommendation to not wear masks if you are not sick or not caring for someone who is sick
By Jacqueline Howard, CNN
Updated 2:24 AM ET, Tue March 31, 2020

(CNN)World Health Organization officials Monday said they still recommend people not wear face masks unless they are sick with Covid-19 or caring for someone who is sick.

"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies program, said at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday. ...
CNN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Has anyone seen Birx in a mask?

Her 'fashion sense' is to wear a scarf.  They could easily be converted to a face cover.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

Her 'fashion sense' is to wear a scarf.  They could easily be converted to a face cover.  :shrug:
Reminds me of the way Polident Pelosi color-coordinates her Coronavirus scarves, but only rarely puts them over her face - and then not long enough!

Haven't seen anyone in authority, from Trump on down, in a mask.  That includes state and local officials.  It's the old, "do as I say, not as I do" routine. 

They're out there making their political statements @Applewood

Silk isn't an approved fabric for a face mask @libertybele   happy77

Offline skeeter

Not even the mask helps.

Offline Applewood

I suppose for some the incident involving the vice president and his trip to the Mayo Clinic may have shamed some of them into practicing what they preach-- finally.  I did see a photo of my Goobernor in a face mask yesterday -- maybe he got the hint.  Still waiting for some of my other local officials and of course, the president too. 

Offline mountaineer

Not even the mask helps.
We should send Hillz a full-body mask.

Offline Victoria33

If she is doing an interview, she doesn't wear a mask so people can hear her, but she makes sure speaking where she is, is a controlled environment not requiring a mask.  If one saw her at her office and walking that environment, she is wearing a mask.

Our church started having Mass again last Saturday and Sunday; all except the Priest were masked.  However, when a reader came up front to read Bible scriptures, the reader pulled down the mask lower than his/her mouth so the words could be heard.  There was no one around the person; person was more than six feet from the Priest and Deacons.

Only 250 were allowed in the church, however only about 100 showed up and there are thousands of members.  Some stayed in their cars outside, and after Mass, the Priest and a Deacon went to the cars; the Priest for communion at the cars and the Deacon had the donating basket.  The church has lost a massive amount of money due to being shut down, but also because many members have no job now.

I watched the Mass on the Church's Facebook page.  The number of people sick and dying are still going up in Fort Worth county where the church is, and the same is true for my county that meets Fort Worth County.  My children need me more than people seeing me at church so I won't take that risk. 

I suppose for some the incident involving the vice president and his trip to the Mayo Clinic may have shamed some of them into practicing what they preach-- finally. 

@Applewood

Actually, Pence's dastardly debacle occurred after our esteemed congress critters made their political statements with brightly colored face masks.   

Personally, outside a hospital setting I think the mask dictates are asinine.  No one's wearing them correctly ... and they don't protect the wearer even when they are.  Masks are just another way of keeping us tethered to the "pandemic" no matter what accurate data says about it.

IMO, it's time for healthy people, outside the high risk group, to fully resume their lives.  But keep in mind I'm not a doctor; I just play one on Al Gore's magnificent Internet.   happy77

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

Actually, Pence's dastardly debacle occurred after our esteemed congress critters made their political statements with brightly colored face masks. 

Ok, I get it.  But we still have plenty of "nobles" who have to get with the program and do those things they are telling us peasants to do.  Otherwise, don't get all in a huff because the rank and file aren't following the rules when you aren't.

Personally, outside a hospital setting I think the mask dictates are asinine.  No one's wearing them correctly ... and they don't protect the wearer even when they are.  Masks are just another way of keeping us tethered to the "pandemic" no matter what accurate data says about it.

I agree with you.  It got me that for a long time --even before this virus -- I had read and heard that ordinary masks and other facial coverings were useless in an epidemic or pandemic,  Then suddenly, the CDC and our noble leaders said, wear masks.  Still want to know what prompted this.  Does someone have an investment interest in mask makers? 

Where I live, the Goobernor made it a mandate to wear them.  And many facilities say if you aren't wearing one, you won't be allowed to enter the premises.  Even Uber is now requiring masks for both passenger and driver.  If a passenger does not have a mask, he doesn't ride.  I don't want to wear a mask -- I think it's stupid -- but in these situations, I have to.

IMO, it's time for healthy people, outside the high risk group, to fully resume their lives.  But keep in mind I'm not a doctor; I just play one on Al Gore's magnificent Internet.   happy77

I agree with you here too.  I'm ok with a gradual return to normal, but in PA where I live, this "return" is reluctant, slow going and haphazard.  People have had enough -- six plus weeks  of masks, social distancing, isolation, businesses shuttered and people out of work.  Again, I say, it's time for this *bleep* to end. 

@Right_in_Virginia
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:16:49 pm by Applewood »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Will the doctor apply that exact same standard to Antifa masked protestors?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online cato potatoe

Just remember when Trump loses to the corpse ... he chose to listen to these wormtongues.  Most Americans have short attention spans.  For now, they are transfixed by the virus.  The depression will move front & center by this summer, and boy will it get ugly.  The economy never should have been shuttered.

Offline roamer_1

We should send Hillz a full-body mask.

Do they make floor length brown paper bags?
 :shrug: :whistle:

Offline libertybele

Just remember when Trump loses to the corpse ... he chose to listen to these wormtongues.  Most Americans have short attention spans.  For now, they are transfixed by the virus.  The depression will move front & center by this summer, and boy will it get ugly.  The economy never should have been shuttered.

No it shouldn't have. I am still convinced that this virus and the timing of its release was not coincidental, it was to bring this country to its knees, destroy Trump's economy and put the DEMS/globalists in charge.  We're only about 6 months from the election and that's not a whole lot of time to recover economically nor politically.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

That's right.