Author Topic: Court Frees Man Who Shot Deputy, Cites 'Stand Your Ground' Law  (Read 661 times)

rangerrebew

Court Frees Man Who Shot Deputy, Cites 'Stand Your Ground' Law

Holly Matkin

Apr 30, 2020
Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said that the appellate court's decision will put lives at risk.

Daytona Beach, FL – A man who tried to kill three Brevard County Sheriff’s deputies in 2015 has been allowed to walk free under Florida’s “stand your ground” law.

Brevard County Sheriff’s Deputy Casey Smith was shot in the lower abdomen during the incident, The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

He nearly died of his wounds, and remained off-duty for a year, according to WESH.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/court-frees-man-who-shot-deputy-cites-stand-your-ground-law-YJpXHEXFfEa9HEy-nvl7gg

rangerrebew

Re: Court Frees Man Who Shot Deputy, Cites 'Stand Your Ground' Law
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:38:10 pm »
Doesn't that mean that in a confrontation a  cop who feels threatened has the right to open fire on the perp?  So the judge has decided confrontations boil down to who fires first and, either way, the ruling should protect either one. savme

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:54:20 pm »
The shooting occurred on Aug. 20, 2015, when three undercover deputies traveled to DeRossett’s home with the intent of arresting his niece, 47-year-old Mary Ellis “The Cougar” DeRossett, on a charge of prostitution, Florida Today reported.
Confused....
Why were they undercover, no uniforms, unmarked car, to serve an arrest warrant?
If someone in plain clothes grabbed one of my kids and yanked them out of my front door, I would have a rather harsh reaction also....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »
Confused....
Why were they undercover, no uniforms, unmarked car, to serve an arrest warrant?
If someone in plain clothes grabbed one of my kids and yanked them out of my front door, I would have a rather harsh reaction also....

I understand they were doing a sting (catch in the act)... but being the fellow didn't know what was going down, she (the cougar) screamed bloody murder and IMHO she should be charged with the attempted murder for putting the poor uncle in the situation he was put in (defending her). The police have one card that carries weight, if the uncle knew what she did and turned a blind eye he also (IMHO) should hold some responsibility for her crimes of prostitution. Was it his house, their house, her house is a complication I am sure the judge had to look at? Throw in the fact that a couple of police officers were clients of hers.

One big bloody mess of a case to be honest. Dark Middle of night, no officers in uniform, woman screaming for help, and you just get woke up and having to process all this at once... One big mess that I can see taking years to sort out... I can see where this special case might allow this ruling and it not be exactly an affront to police officers in other cases unlike the police officers trying to claim it was. Yeah, police were shot here and he gets away with it, but he lost 5 years in the process and I don't think he meant to be the bad guy at all.

My opinion after 10 minutes of limited reading on the case... subject to change with new info I didn't read.

What do I get out of this? Don't have a nightcrawler operate out of your home if you can help it, it doesn't end well.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 05:34:22 pm »
“The appellate decision is better than a jury acquittal,” the gunman’s attorney, Michael Panella, told The Daytona Beach News-Journal. “An acquittal only means ‘not guilty.’ This order means that John is innocent, that his actions were justified, and that he

Notice how we went from being a homeowner to being a "gunman"?

Nope,no press bias there,is there?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:37:42 pm »
Doesn't that mean that in a confrontation a  cop who feels threatened has the right to open fire on the perp? 

@rangerrebew

Huh? Where have you been living the last 50-60 years to not know that? Maybe even longer.

I am GUESSING that the number of cops that get charged with murder from killing a perp is less than 1 percent of the shootings.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!