Author Topic: Special Operations Community Embraces ‘Wildcat’ Calibers  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

Special Operations Community Embraces ‘Wildcat’ Calibers
5/1/2020
By Scott R. Gourley

One phenomenon that has emerged from the U.S. special operations community over the last 10 to 12 years involves exploration and acquisition of small arms in new ballistic calibers.

Rather than the better known weapon designs in 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm, .50 caliber, and even the U.S. Army’s emerging 6.8 mm Next Generation Squad Weapon, the community has embraced calibers like the .300 AAC (Advanced Armament Corporation) Blackout (.300 BLK), 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge), and both .300 and .338 Norma Magnum.

Often created as so-called “wildcat” rounds, prior to their broader acceptance and expanded production availability, these new caliber cartridges each provide a staggering array of design and performance specifics, experts said.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2020/5/1/special-operations-community-embraces-wildcat-calibers

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I fully embrace "Wildcats".  I shoot quite an assortment of cartridges that started life as wildcats, or still remain widlcats.

The ones I shoot:

22K Hornet
256 Win
6.5 Grendel
6.5 x 47 Lapua
357 Herrett
358 Yeti

And my son shoots the 300 Blackout.