Author Topic: Watch What It Takes to Get This World War II Bomber In Action  (Read 300 times)

rangerrebew

Watch What It Takes to Get This World War II Bomber In Action

Military.com | By Blake Stilwell

The B-29 Superfortress was one of the largest and most advanced aircraft of its time -- a marvel of World War II weapons technology. It featured advanced landing gear, a pressurized cabin and a computer targeting system that allowed two crewmembers to control four gun turrets by remote control.

Today, only two surviving Superfortresses are capable of flying. The crew behind FlightChops, a YouTube page run by a private pilot who creates videos for his own self-analysis, rigged one of them with GoPro cameras to capture what it’s like to fly in one of the most expensive weapons of World War II.

https://www.military.com/military-life/watch-what-it-takes-get-world-war-ii-bomber-action.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Watch What It Takes to Get This World War II Bomber In Action
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:14:38 am »
Neat! Thank you @rangerrebew !
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 03:05:35 pm »
Watch What It Takes to Get This World War II Bomber In Action

Military.com | By Blake Stilwell

The B-29 Superfortress was one of the largest and most advanced aircraft of its time -- a marvel of World War II weapons technology. It featured advanced landing gear, a pressurized cabin and a computer targeting system that allowed two crewmembers to control four gun turrets by remote control.

Today, only two surviving Superfortresses are capable of flying. The crew behind FlightChops, a YouTube page run by a private pilot who creates videos for his own self-analysis, rigged one of them with GoPro cameras to capture what it’s like to fly in one of the most expensive weapons of World War II.

https://www.military.com/military-life/watch-what-it-takes-get-world-war-ii-bomber-action.html
Boy did that bring back memories.  Thank you for posting!

My brother and I used to watch 12 O'clock High as kids and loved it.  Of course that was a B-17, but a similar plane.  I guess that's where I learned to love planes.  I still get goose bumps when I see a B-1 fly over.

Thanks again!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:06:26 am »
Boy did that bring back memories.  Thank you for posting!

My brother and I used to watch 12 O'clock High as kids and loved it.  Of course that was a B-17, but a similar plane.  I guess that's where I learned to love planes.  I still get goose bumps when I see a B-1 fly over.

Thanks again!
I have been fascinated with aircraft since I could point at one...12 O'Clock High is still one of my favorite movies.
I was fortunate enough to be able to walk about and board the "909" (B-17) and the "All American" (B-24) many years ago when they flew into Sloulin Field in Williston ND. It was like a childhood dream to be able to actually tour the interior of the bombers. God Bless every one who flew in those planes, and kept them in the air.

Sadly, the 909 crashed a few years back, and now even the airfield I saw it at is gone, replaced by a new airport.

I'm glad there are two B-29s still flying. Perhaps some day before I go I can tour one of them, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis