Poll

Politically, Which Direction do you typically lean, Today?

Federalist
10 (71.4%)
GOP
1 (7.1%)
Defeat the DEMS!
2 (14.3%)
A Distincion without a Difference in Today's Climate
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 12, 2020, 08:58:11 pm

Author Topic: Politically, Which Direction do you lean?  (Read 4108 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: Politically, Which Direction do you lean?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 06:54:04 pm »
My party’s founding document is the U.S. constitution. The other parties are simply constructs built by flawed men for the purpose of acquiring power and control over others.

But, parties are also populated by good men who must work within these constructs to constrain those whose impulse is to control others and deflect away from the timeless truth of God-given constitutional rights.

I hope that made sense.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 07:20:04 pm »
I still remember when personal property rights, the ability to start your own business, and reducing the national debt were pretty cool.

:cool:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:47 pm »
The role of the party is getting people eleced, not scoring points in conservaive purity.

” James Baker, Reagan’s chief of staff and later his Treasury secretary, recalled in an interview: “‘I’d rather get 80 percent of what I want than go over the cliff with my flags flying.’”

The point is not the absolute number.

The point for political adults, is if you want "conservative" results, winning needs to take priority, versus losing to make statements.

Every Republican from Dole onward lost the populalar vote, save GWB 2nd term.

Making statements is not a productive strategy.

There is not 80% conservatism ANYWHERE in politics today, not to mention the Republicans. More like 20%, if at all. At what point do you stop supporting that which does not deliver?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 02:54:16 am »
Legal American...
Wrong with all due respect. You are still a democrat.  I do not believe anything you wrote. You may believe what you wrote. It is as if you don't know what is going on in real life

Well, I have no reason to misrepresent anything I said.  When I was on the school board, it was 1991-1995.  My community in PA had the lowest tax in the entire state, 8 mils, and we were not a poor community by any means.  Our teachers at one point were the highest paid community in PA, and when I was on the board, they went on strike, demanding a 15% increase.  Truth was, we were at odds with them for quite awhile, and a judge ordered us into daily negotiations for three hours per day, and every member of the rank and file were given the right to speak each and every day by the judge before the board and the teachers' reps could negotiate.  This went on and on, and I went out of town on a business trip, and the conservative Republicans on the board settled with the teachers while I was out of town at rates higher than I would ever agree to.

The mayor of our community was a Democrat, and tight as a tic on spending or taxing.  We were a mixed community of white collar and blue collar.  The wards that had the high priced homes with mostly white collar, high education, etc, were held by Republican councilmen/women, and they wanted to spend us blind.

All my neighbors were Republican, all business owners.  My councilman was one of these spend us blind Republicans.  When I decided I was not going to run for a second term for school board, my neighbors begged me to run against our Councilman, a two term Republican running for a third.  They proactively worked to get me elected.  My neighbors were conservative, and supporting me.  So, Legal American, I do not need your blessing to know if I am conservative or not.

And your calling me a Democrat is laughable.  I would love to know what makes that true.  I don't know what is going on, well, neither do you.

Trump may not be taking his salary, but that money is being spent!  He allocates it to where it is going, so it is spent, and I doubt it is monies to displace budgeted amount, most likely monies in addition to.

And all the things that Trump did do to reduce spending is pocket change.  The budget if you want to call it that is through the roof.  I do not object to rebuilding our military where it needs it.  But to say we do not waste money across the board, including the military is plain false.

I do not question he has done good things, but it is not enough, and I am looking at the bottom line.  The bottom line does not reflect any money being saved.

My platform if I were to run for Congress would include the following:

1.  Mandatory balanced budget, sole exception during times of war declared by Congress
2.  Term limits, and no pensions and golden parachutes upon leaving.  Serve the people of America.
3.  Strict policies on immigration, with no immigration if unemployment is above a given level
4.  End H1-b Visa Program, which would provide hundreds of thousands of jobs to USA citizens
5.  Build the wall, and have immediate deportation of illegal invading aliens.  No judge, no involved process
6   Amend Constitution to clarify...no anchor babies.  To be a citizen, one parent must be a USA citizen.
7.  End financing anything in the Middle East.  Trillions spent and for what?
8   End foreign aid to countries like Russia, Iraq, etc. 
9.  Reduce military presence in a large segment of countries, unless they pay us for our presence, i.e Japan, Korea,
     Germany, etc.
10.  New tax policy.  We are a consumer nation, I support a Fair Tax, and the end of Income Taxes.  Too many in our
     society pay zero dollars in taxes, and yet make a huge income.  Too much inequity on taxing.
11.  End any favoritism to foreign nations over our own.  It has been blatant. 
12.  Introduce legislation to end abortion(7 people in the Supreme Court had no right to make this decision)

And I could go on and on if I really thought about everything I would like to see.  No Democrat wants the above, and good luck finding Republicans that want most of the above.  But most of my friends are conservative, and happen to be Republican, and not a one would argue with me on the above other than reducing our presence in the world militarily.

Someone mentioned folks that are conservative.  Candace Owens has decided she will run in her state, which I believe is Connecticut.  I think that is great.  I think Ben Shapiro would make a great addition as a conservative voice, but he would have to move out of California, for those smucks would never elect him.

Smokin Joe said something above about Trump being at 500 for batting as a conservative.  I don't disagree with that assessment.  His 500 is far better than most Republicans in Congress.

By the way, after I set the process in place, the school board I was on did not have a tax increase for ten years.  When I left, one of my fellow board members, a Republican and a true conservative, he held the line on spending.  He finally got tired of fighting the battle to hold the line, and he left.  After he left, the folks on the board could not wait to spend the community blind, by building a $100 million+ new high school.  It was not needed at all.  We had a campus high school, with 13 building, much like a college campus, and it did not conform to the ease of control in having one building, limited exits, etc.  That was the primary reason they went and built a new high school. 

I went to that school in the 60s and 70s, graduated, and I loved the campus concept for high school.  The big challenge was traversing the campus to get to the next class if one was going from one end to the other.  And the girls would complain about going outside if it was raining or snowing, concerned about their hair!  They tore that campus down after building the new school.  Terrible waste of taxpayer money.

And last but not least,  I do not think Democrats would be happy if I had my way.  I believe everyone involved in the coup against Trump should be indicted, convicted, and publicly dispatched.  And I am fairly certain that includes Obama.  Still waiting for the first indictment from this joke of a DOJ.  Trump could end up losing in November, and still nothing done.

And for all those involved in Uranium One, ALL, I think they should experience the same.  I am tired of our casual approach to treason.

My friends, when I told them I was called a Democrat on a blog I post, that gave them the laugh for the day.  All my close friends are conservative, and if anything, they think I might be a radical conservative, for they think I am more extreme than they are.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:33 pm »
@jafo2010

My platform if I were to run for Congress would include the following:

1.  Mandatory balanced budget, sole exception during times of war declared by Congress
2.  Term limits, and no pensions and golden parachutes upon leaving.  Serve the people of America.
3.  Strict policies on immigration, with no immigration if unemployment is above a given level
4.  End H1-b Visa Program, which would provide hundreds of thousands of jobs to USA citizens
5.  Build the wall, and have immediate deportation of illegal invading aliens.  No judge, no involved process
6   Amend Constitution to clarify...no anchor babies.  To be a citizen, one parent must be a USA citizen.
7.  End financing anything in the Middle East.  Trillions spent and for what?
8   End foreign aid to countries like Russia, Iraq, etc.
9.  Reduce military presence in a large segment of countries, unless they pay us for our presence, i.e Japan, Korea,
     Germany, etc.
10.  New tax policy.  We are a consumer nation, I support a Fair Tax, and the end of Income Taxes.  Too many in our
     society pay zero dollars in taxes, and yet make a huge income.  Too much inequity on taxing.
11.  End any favoritism to foreign nations over our own.  It has been blatant.
12.  Introduce legislation to end abortion(7 people in the Supreme Court had no right to make this decision)

Good stuff.  Problem is that some of the above has been promised by Republican candidates for a number of year.  Funny thing is once these candidates are elected, the promises are forgotten.  Republicans never seem to get around to doing what they say they are going to do, even when they have majorities in both houses and even the presidency.

And eager newcomers might want to introduce all sorts of legislation, but if the higher-ups are not in favor, those bills will never see the light of day.  At best, you might get your name added as a co-sponsor of some other, experienced congressperson's bill,  but to introduce your own is unlikely.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 06:45:02 pm »
@jafo2010

Good stuff.  Problem is that some of the above has been promised by Republican candidates for a number of year.  Funny thing is once these candidates are elected, the promises are forgotten.  Republicans never seem to get around to doing what they say they are going to do, even when they have majorities in both houses and even the presidency.

And eager newcomers might want to introduce all sorts of legislation, but if the higher-ups are not in favor, those bills will never see the light of day.  At best, you might get your name added as a co-sponsor of some other, experienced congressperson's bill,  but to introduce your own is unlikely.

Ahh, but republicans will never have a majority in the media—at least not in the foreseeable future. Because 
that’s where the real power behind the political resistance to republican ideas resides.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 07:07:37 pm »
Ahh, but republicans will never have a majority in the media—at least not in the foreseeable future. Because 
that’s where the real power behind the political resistance to republican ideas resides.

Sorry, but I say baloney.  Republicans don't keep their promises because they don't want to.  When it comes down to it, Republicans and Democrats want the same things.  Just that Republicans will never admit it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 07:28:04 pm »
Sorry, but I say baloney.  Republicans don't keep their promises because they don't want to.  When it comes down to it, Republicans and Democrats want the same things.  Just that Republicans will never admit it.

The last thing I would want to do is introduce a dark note, but it sounds like you just agreed with @Chosen Daughter on the other thread. No?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 11:35:09 pm »
That was my whole take on the TEA party class of freshmen.
They ran on fiscal Conservatism, and in some cases, the ballots hadn't all been counted when they reneged.
There must be some sort of force field around the Beltway that keeps such notions outside DC.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 11:40:29 pm »
That was my whole take on the TEA party class of freshmen.
They ran on fiscal Conservatism, and in some cases, the ballots hadn't all been counted when they reneged.
There must be some sort of force field around the Beltway that keeps such notions outside DC.

That was true of some @Smokin Joe Rubio joining gang of 8 almost as soon as he could be compromised, prime example, but there were a few that held firm and still fight.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 11:51:33 pm »
   That was true of some @Smokin Joe Rubio joining gang of 8 almost as soon as he could be compromised, prime example, but there were a few that held firm and still fight.
True, but we need to elect more of the latter breed. Problem is, it's tough to tell until they are in office.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 08:04:34 pm »
Defeatism is rampant in America.  The notion that one man/woman cannot make a difference is plain wrong.  I hate to say it, but look at AOC.  She is a whack job, but look how she has in less than one year become the architect of the Democommie Party.  And now Joe Biden, the presumptive Dem candidate has appointed her to lead the committee on climate change.

One person can make a difference, and we need to have more people in the Republican Party that are willing to stand up for a set of values and work to make it reality.  Nothing done in Congress is easy, I think we all know this to be true, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This is a recent observation.  I offered to volunteer for a person running for the House in my district, which is an open election.  His campaign manager called me, and promised to get back to me, and I never heard back.  I am just not interested in promoting someone's candidacy if they do not value the people in their district.  The campaign manager indicated to me that they were focusing exclusively on the other county, not looking to campaign in the county I live in at all.  Right off, I thought that was a recipe for disaster.  I have seen too many people running for public office make that kind of mistake.

Back to defeatism, let me make mention of one more.  The decline of the newspaper industry has been long running, with declines almost every year.  Many believed for a long time the newspaper industry was dying.  But I tell you, management mindset makes all the difference.  When I became a publisher of a newspaper, I reversed its daily and Sunday decline and increased circulation.  And when I researched it, of the then Top 150 newspapers, 13% were increasing circulation for the past ten years, and 27% were increasing daily circulation for the same period.  Yet, all one heard was the steady decline.  One company, every paper they had, excluding recent acquisitions were increasing every year, that was McClatchy.  Defeatism is deadly to success and accomplishment.

Republicans need to end their defeatism and begin to champion ideas moving forward.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 08:14:59 pm »
Republicans need to end their defeatism and begin to champion ideas moving forward.

Yeah right.  *****rollingeyes*****

It's not THAT they have ideas. It's WHICH ideas that are the problem. They are not without an agenda.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »
Yeah right.  *****rollingeyes*****

It's not THAT they have ideas. It's WHICH ideas that are the problem. They are not without an agenda.
Well, that's the problem.
When you have people who are out of touch with their constituents pushing the wrong ideas, it isn't the formula for victory, and as far as the people they are out of touch with go, none of them give a bleep, so why vote for any of them?
If anyone wonders why the voting turnout is so relatively low in America, they need look no farther.
A lot of nonvoting people think it won't make any significant difference.
And that is why the decades of shifting to the left to catch the middle have been a fallacy. The GOP already has the middle, they aren't getting the left which keeps going to the Left, so shift Right and gain more than they'll lose.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:44 pm »
Well, that's the problem.
When you have people who are out of touch with their constituents pushing the wrong ideas, it isn't the formula for victory, and as far as the people they are out of touch with go, none of them give a bleep, so why vote for any of them?
If anyone wonders why the voting turnout is so relatively low in America, they need look no farther.
A lot of nonvoting people think it won't make any significant difference.
And that is why the decades of shifting to the left to catch the middle have been a fallacy. The GOP already has the middle, they aren't getting the left which keeps going to the Left, so shift Right and gain more than they'll lose.

That is completely right... And furthermore, the disenfranchised ARE the honeypot.  The current political temperament sees a fixed pie, the two ends stealing from each other out of the middle... By far and a way, the HUGE numbers will come from those who do not vote.

Folks are too busy to take time with this nonsense... Unless you can make it mean something to them, they will not bother to vote. Populism seeks to tell them something new and hip... But Conservatism speaks to them the very words their daddy did. and his daddy before him. Every single time there has been a Republican juggernaut, it has not been a Republican one at all, but rather, a Conservative one. And that juggernaut cannot come from the middle, or the left. There ain't enough there to account for it... So where oh where can it be coming from, hmmm?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »
That is completely right... And furthermore, the disenfranchised ARE the honeypot.  The current political temperament sees a fixed pie, the two ends stealing from each other out of the middle... By far and a way, the HUGE numbers will come from those who do not vote.

Folks are too busy to take time with this nonsense... Unless you can make it mean something to them, they will not bother to vote. Populism seeks to tell them something new and hip... But Conservatism speaks to them the very words their daddy did. and his daddy before him. Every single time there has been a Republican juggernaut, it has not been a Republican one at all, but rather, a Conservative one. And that juggernaut cannot come from the middle, or the left. There ain't enough there to account for it... So where oh where can it be coming from, hmmm?
From the same folks that brought them the TEA party class, only there were a lot of liars in there.

So, if the GOP wants to get the attention of Conservatives who won't vote for Leftist-lite, it's going to take a lot more than just lying their donkeys off on the stump. It's going to take some track record, and maybe a bit of a sea change in the way they do things. But that's about the best way to pull in the unvoting bloc.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 08:46:07 pm »
I'm more of an An-Cap than a Conservative, living in a '"2 Party" world. I really supported the Republicans back in the "Tea Party" days due to their "Limited Govt" slogans. I about totally gave up on Republicans when they "laid down" and let Obama win, without contesting his "credentials" at all. So now I no longer support any party. I only support individual candidates.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 08:54:20 pm »
From the same folks that brought them the TEA party class, only there were a lot of liars in there.

So, if the GOP wants to get the attention of Conservatives who won't vote for Leftist-lite, it's going to take a lot more than just lying their donkeys off on the stump. It's going to take some track record, and maybe a bit of a sea change in the way they do things. But that's about the best way to pull in the unvoting bloc.

That's right. Promises don't mean nothing. SHOW ME. A guy stands up that's rode the river, he sings a Conservative song, and Conservatives WILL hear the clarion call like a ringing bell, and show up in their millions.

The conglomerate of Conservative principles is exactly what causes those various factions to rise up out of the tossing sea, wind together, and become unstoppable. Half measures won't do. Someone singing off key won't do... And for sure, someone that don't know the words sure as hell won't do.

And there may be a new hip kid on the block that learns the words, hoping with stars in his eyes for fame and fortune... And he knows how to put the emotion in his voice and time his gestures to appeal to the crowd... A young voice sings so sweet.

But it;s the old beat up dude that's walked the walk, the pain and the gravel in his voice is something that new kid can't mimic, no matter how he tries. Because that comes from walking that long path. Sweet is sweet and all... But it is saccharine without the authority of experience. And I bet you know which one them Conservatives will hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:03 pm »
That's right. Promises don't mean nothing. SHOW ME. A guy stands up that's rode the river, he sings a Conservative song, and Conservatives WILL hear the clarion call like a ringing bell, and show up in their millions.

The conglomerate of Conservative principles is exactly what causes those various factions to rise up out of the tossing sea, wind together, and become unstoppable. Half measures won't do. Someone singing off key won't do... And for sure, someone that don't know the words sure as hell won't do.

And there may be a new hip kid on the block that learns the words, hoping with stars in his eyes for fame and fortune... And he knows how to put the emotion in his voice and time his gestures to appeal to the crowd... A young voice sings so sweet.

But it;s the old beat up dude that's walked the walk, the pain and the gravel in his voice is something that new kid can't mimic, no matter how he tries. Because that comes from walking that long path. Sweet is sweet and all... But it is saccharine without the authority of experience. And I bet you know which one them Conservatives will hear.

That "beat up old dude", like so many of us, may have become a Conservative the hard way--by trying so much else that just didn't work.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
That "beat up old dude", like so many of us, may have become a Conservative the hard way--by trying so much else that just didn't work.

That's right. Sooner or later the truth will out. For some sooner than others.  :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 09:34:16 pm »
That's right. Sooner or later the truth will out. For some sooner than others.  :whistle:
Some of us are smart about some things, and slow learners about others... :shrug: :whistle:

C S Lewis