Author Topic: Smoke Cigs, Save Lives:The Remarkable Discovery That Smokers Are Far Less Likely to Contract COVID-1  (Read 592 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Signs of the Times by Christopher Snowdon Spiked 4/25/2020

Smoke Cigs, Save Lives: The Remarkable Discovery That Smokers Are Far Less Likely to Contract COVID-19

There's not much to laugh about these days, but the news that smokers might be protected from Covid-19 is certainly one of them. With study after study showing that smokers are under-represented in coronavirus wards, the renowned French neuroscientist, Jean-Pierre Changeux, is working on a randomised control trial to test the effect of nicotine patches on Covid-19 patients.

This is far from being a crackpot theory. Changeux has explained his hypothesis at length here. In simple terms, he says that nicotinic acetylcholine receptors play a key role in the development of the disease and that nicotine can put a brake on it. If he is right - and the banter heuristic says he is - it would not only save thousands of lives but would also be one in the eye for the 'public health' groups who have been claiming that smoking and vaping are risk factors for Covid-19.

The quango should have paid more attention to how few smokers were in hospital in the first place. In a country where 27 per cent of adults smoke, only 6.4 per cent of the Covid-19 cases were smokers. This was not a fluke finding. Awkwardly for the anti-smoking lobby, smokers have been strangely under-represented in all the studies for which smoking prevalence data is available. They made up just 1.4 per cent of the cases in Zhang et al, 6.7 per cent in Wan et al, 3.9 per cent in Mo et al, seven per cent in Huang et al, nine per cent in Dong et al, 10 per cent of cases in Yang et al, 1.9 per cent in Guan et al, six per cent in Zhou et al, and 6.4 per cent in Liu et al. In Shi et al, only 8.2 per cent of cases had any smoking history.

Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos of the University of Patras in Greece noticed this phenomenon early on and put a preliminary study online in late March. It noted the 'unusually low prevalence of current smoking was observed among hospitalised Covid-19 patients', which 'does not support the argument that current smoking is a risk factor for hospitalisation for Covid-19, and might suggest a protective role'.

More: https://www.sott.net/article/433257-Smoke-bleep-Save-Lives-The-Remarkable-Discovery-That-Smokers-Are-Far-Less-Likely-to-Contract-COVID-19

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
In light of that news I think I'll smoke a cigar.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

Crap, My cigarettes are gonna go up again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Could it be that many smokers died, before making it to Covid19 days?

Smoking did help them stay slim however.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Could it be that many smokers died, before making it to Covid19 days?

Smoking did help them stay slim however.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Likely not. 60s and up are the risk groups for dying of COVID-19, and in our State, anyway, the peak age group for positive tests is the 30-39 group.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I smoke a pack a day, baby, and I do it for you. :patriot:
So you don't have to

super22

No stop...stop ***blushing***

I'm no hero.
I'm just doing my duty as an American.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I still remember the AMA blathering about how tobacco had absolutely "no valid medicinal use".

:laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis