Author Topic: Texas A&M to lead testing of TB vaccine against COVID-19  (Read 682 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas A&M to lead testing of TB vaccine against COVID-19
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:01:48 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Todd Ackerman April 28, 2020

Texas A&M to lead testing of TB vaccine against COVID-19

Texas A&M University researchers have begun recruiting health care workers to test whether a widely used tuberculosis vaccine can help in the fight against the coronavirus.

The researchers, who are teaming with Harvard University, MD Anderson Cancer Center and Baylor College of Medicine, say the vaccine won’t prevent people from getting infected but will strengthen the immune system and may diminish the effect of the virus, resulting in less hospitalizations and deaths.

“This could make a huge difference in the next two to three years while the development of a specific vaccine is developed for COVID-19,” Jeffrey Cirillo, a Texas A&M Health Science Center professor of microbial pathogenesis and immunology, said in a news release.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/prognosis/article/Texas-A-M-tuberculosis-coronavirus-vaccine-test-15231819.php

Online libertybele

Re: Texas A&M to lead testing of TB vaccine against COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:08:54 pm »
Good grief. Every medication seems to be being tested against this virus. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:28:25 pm »
Good grief. Every medication seems to be being tested against this virus.

I’m glad they’re trying everything.

The sooner the head is chopped off this monster, the better.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:12 pm »

The sooner the head is chopped off this monster, the better.

Yes, I agree, but at the same time, there are at least 30 different strains of this monster, which may explain why the hydroxychloroquine +zpack+ zinc worked on some patients, and not others; same with remdesivir and others drugs that have been tried.

IMHO, and I am not a epidemiologist nor do I work in a laboratory, but it does seem that there isn't going to be once vaccine that's going to be suited for all 30 strains -- it's going to be hit or miss.  I also tend to think that for some individuals any vaccine for this virus is going to do more harm than good to them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 10:01:22 pm »
there are at least 30 different strains of this monster [...]

Which defeats the premise entirely. This is a fast-morphing virus... Vaccine is an impossibility.

Corona is the common cold. no cure will be forthcoming.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 10:04:29 pm »

#MeToo

lol, impressive team of researchers.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 10:04:55 pm »
Which defeats the premise entirely. This is a fast-morphing virus... Vaccine is an impossibility.

Corona is the common cold. no cure will be forthcoming.

Not so “common” for a cold to kill over 200,000 people globally in a couple of months.

This ain’t that.

Never has been.  Never will be.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:27 pm »
Not so “common” for a cold to kill over 200,000 people globally in a couple of months.

This ain’t that.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:38 pm »
Yes, I agree, but at the same time, there are at least 30 different strains of this monster, which may explain why the hydroxychloroquine +zpack+ zinc worked on some patients, and not others; same with remdesivir and others drugs that have been tried.

IMHO, and I am not a epidemiologist nor do I work in a laboratory, but it does seem that there isn't going to be once vaccine that's going to be suited for all 30 strains -- it's going to be hit or miss.  I also tend to think that for some individuals any vaccine for this virus is going to do more harm than good to them.

For a tiny minority, any vaccine does harm, but not the vast, vast majority.

If they come up with vaccines that handle even a portion of the strains, that’s a lot less suffering and death.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 02:23:23 am »

This ain’t that.

It isn;t common to graft a SARS sequence into the common cold, either.

A vaccine is unlikely, a treatment is not.

The doctors are trying a lot, but it is rare that anything hits print except for badly crafted applications of hydroxychloroquine, with or without Azithromycin, and without the zinc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 02:26:02 am »
For a tiny minority, any vaccine does harm, but not the vast, vast majority.

If they come up with vaccines that handle even a portion of the strains, that’s a lot less suffering and death.
As with the flu, yes.

But some don't react well to squalene, to other adjuvants, or to preservatives.

I'd like to see a fresh study of the UV treatment (expose roughly 4-5% of the bloodstream to UV, and let the body make antibodies from the dead virus in the bloodstream.) That, if it works, would work against almost any virus.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis