Author Topic: Case fatality rates rise as coronavirus runs deadly course  (Read 781 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Case fatality rates rise as coronavirus runs deadly course
« on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:20 pm »
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/494918-case-fatality-rates-rise-as-coronavirus-runs-deadly

Case fatality rates rise as coronavirus runs deadly course
BY REID WILSON
04/27/20 05:44 PM EDT

The percentage of people who die after testing positive for the coronavirus is rising even as thousands of new U.S. cases are identified each day, a troubling preview of the weeks and months that lie ahead.

Epidemiologists and experts say increased case fatality rates are a natural function of a deadly virus running its course: The people who succumb today were probably infected as long as a month ago, when the number of cases began accelerating.

"As the epidemic picks up and you see a sudden rise [in cases], deaths will be very low," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Prevention at the University of Minnesota. "It's just new onsets. And then as they work through the process, becoming severely ill, becoming hospitalized, being in the ICU and then dying, it's a long-term process of three or up to four weeks."

That long-term process is starting to show itself in states that were at the heart of the second wave of the outbreak in the U.S.

In Connecticut, where commuter communities outside New York City have been hit hard, the case fatality rate has risen 3 percentage points in just two weeks. Today, 7.6 percent of all confirmed COVID-19 patients have died, among the highest rates in the nation. That equates to 1,431 deaths over just the last two weeks.

More at URL above...

Offline musiclady

Re: Case fatality rates rise as coronavirus runs deadly course
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 05:40:08 pm »
Deaths lag, so as I've said here many times before, using any argument that deaths prove that it's not so bad, is premature.

We have a long time ahead of us before any conclusions can be drawn because we haven't seen what all the ramifications of getting it are.

And we also don't know what a second wave will look like.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 07:53:11 pm »
Deaths lag, so as I've said here many times before, using any argument that deaths prove that it's not so bad, is premature.

We have a long time ahead of us before any conclusions can be drawn because we haven't seen what all the ramifications of getting it are.

I am sure we will eventually know more about this virus. But we don't today imho.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 07:58:03 pm »

I am sure we will eventually know more about this virus. But we don't today imho.

Correct.

Like the new symptoms that are showing up - chills and shakes with no fever for one.

This is a weird virus and we're learning new things daily.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:38:43 pm »
Utter nonsense.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:48 pm »

Agreed, we have a lot to learn about SARS-CoV-2 and we will learn. I suspect the virus is not nearly as deadly as it is being portrayed. At least I hope so.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 10:43:31 pm »
Agreed, we have a lot to learn about SARS-CoV-2 and we will learn. I suspect the virus is not nearly as deadly as it is being portrayed. At least I hope so.

I hope so too.

But 47 people have died in Ohio in the past 24 hours (and nobody here is cooking the numbers as has been the accusation in NYC), and since deaths lag, it's still pretty brutal.

Glad Ohio is opening back up, though, so the economy can (and will) recover.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:05 am »
I hope so too.

But 47 people have died in Ohio in the past 24 hours (and nobody here is cooking the numbers as has been the accusation in NYC), and since deaths lag, it's still pretty brutal.

Glad Ohio is opening back up, though, so the economy can (and will) recover.
How many of them lost their insurance while their jobs have been shut down?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 02:42:55 am »
How many of them lost their insurance while their jobs have been shut down?

Let me give you some numbers I shared elsewhere.....

In Ohio, since March 15 -

-459,375 people have been paid

-$1,346,291,403.77 has been paid out (that's Billion)

-1,657 employees are taking calls

-54,000 calls were successfully dealt with yesterday

-The average wait time per call was 23 minutes

-They are continuing to build capacity

-Anyone who does not get through will be back paid

Nothing in this data about insurance, but Ohio's unemployed are being cared for by a business friendly administration.

Businesses have been in the loop and have had a voice in every critical decision about reopening, and all the way during the shut down. Now restaurant owners and people who run hair salons and barber shops are being convened to decide what the best way to get everything reopened will be.

Our economy will recover.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 02:45:23 am »
Let me give you some numbers I shared elsewhere.....

In Ohio, since March 15 -

-459,375 people have been paid

-$1,346,291,403.77 has been paid out (that's Billion)

-1,657 employees are taking calls

-54,000 calls were successfully dealt with yesterday

-The average wait time per call was 23 minutes

-They are continuing to build capacity

-Anyone who does not get through will be back paid

Nothing in this data about insurance, but Ohio's unemployed are being cared for by a business friendly administration.

Businesses have been in the loop and have had a voice in every critical decision about reopening, and all the way during the shut down. Now restaurant owners and people who run hair salons and barber shops are being convened to decide what the best way to get everything reopened will be.

Our economy will recover.
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about unemployment.

I was talking about formerly employer provided health insurance predicated on a 32 hour workweek.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:55 am »
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about unemployment.

I was talking about formerly employer provided health insurance predicated on a 32 hour workweek.

When I find that out, I'll let you know.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:34 am »
When I find that out, I'll let you know.
Numbers are all over but Newsweek estimated  7 million in this: https://www.newsweek.com/over-7-million-americans-lose-health-insurance-during-coronavirus-pandemic-15-million-have-1496925

It would be interesting to get some more solid numbers.

C S Lewis