Author Topic: ‘We don’t eat our countertops,’ yet many Americans are using cleaning products meant for fruits and  (Read 1029 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
‘We don’t eat our countertops,’ yet many Americans are using cleaning products meant for fruits and vegetables, National Poison Control Center official says

Shortages of cleaning supplies amid the coronavirus pandemic are leading many Americans to get creative. But that creativity and compulsion to clean and disinfect more may be causing more harm than good.

Last month, calls to poison control centers surged by nearly 20% compared to the same period in 2019, according to a report released earlier this week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

One of the cases highlighted in the CDC’s report involved a woman who “heard on the news to clean all recently purchased groceries before consuming them.”

“She filled a sink with a mixture of 10% bleach solution, vinegar, and hot water, and soaked her produce.” Shortly after, she was transported to the emergency room due to difficulty breathing.

Cleaning products meant for surfaces should never be used on produce.

“The key point of this vignette is that bleach should never be mixed with another cleaning chemical, or it will generate a toxic gas,” said Diane Calello, the medical director of the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System, and one of the authors of the report.......

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-dont-eat-our-countertops-yet-many-americans-are-using-cleaning-products-meant-for-them-on-their-fruits-and-vegetables-says-national-poison-control-center-official-2020-04-24?mod=home-page
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline PeteS in CA

"Last month, calls to poison control centers surged by nearly 20% compared to the same period in 2019, according to a report released earlier this week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Last month? Not less than a week ago?

That said, how dumb can people be?!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
"Last month, calls to poison control centers surged by nearly 20% compared to the same period in 2019, according to a report released earlier this week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Last month? Not less than a week ago?

That said, how dumb can people be?!

Well, that can be said for Cuomo's wife -- she soaked in bleach.    These reports seem to be surfacing after the dispute over Trump's suggestion of injecting with disinfectant.  Coincidence? 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Applewood

Sheesh!

My mother used to wash her produce with dish detergent or some mild soap.  Me?  I'm lucky if I remember to rinse it under cold water.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sheesh!

My mother used to wash her produce with dish detergent or some mild soap.  Me?  I'm lucky if I remember to rinse it under cold water.

Why ruin all that great wax they spray on the apples?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

The problem wasn't the bleach, it was combining bleach and vinegar, thereby subjecting herself to a chlorine gas attack.  We all knew about this when we were kids.  It's almost surprising no one tried to turn our junior high into a mini-Ypres by dumping the mixture into the heating ducts.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The problem wasn't the bleach, it was combining bleach and vinegar, thereby subjecting herself to a chlorine gas attack.  We all knew about this when we were kids.  It's almost surprising no one tried to turn our junior high into a mini-Ypres by dumping the mixture into the heating ducts.
If the 'right' people had known more chemistry in my first HS, it would have been done. The rest of us would not consider it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mortarman

I remember my dad eating radishes jus' pulled out of the ground from the garden. He'd jus' wipe the dirt off of them, cut the root off with his jackknife an' bite into 'em. The guy turns 87 in July.

:pop41:

The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

I remember my dad eating radishes jus' pulled out of the ground from the garden. He'd jus' wipe the dirt off of them, cut the root off with his jackknife an' bite into 'em. The guy turns 87 in July.

Yep, and rubbing the dust off a tomato, just picked, and eating it...(we actually carried those little salt shakers in our pockets when we were kids).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

Yep, and rubbing the dust off a tomato, just picked, and eating it...(we actually carried those little salt shakers in our pockets when we were kids).

Oh, man, you are making me hungry.  There is nothing better on earth than a ripe tomato right off the vine.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Biggest symptom of this Pandemic?  The absolute free fall of "common sense"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

I remember as a child seeing my grandmother making pancakes and the flour had a tad of movement in it.  I said "Mee-Maw, I don't want pancakes with bugs in it." (weevils). I then got a history lesson that her generation and all of our ancestors would have starved if a little added wildlife would have be considered "ruined food".  Life today has become way too sterile, and I think to a certain degree it has hurt our ability to fight infections.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Oh, man, you are making me hungry.  There is nothing better on earth than a ripe tomato right off the vine.

I'm that way with Okra.  Wife complains that there's never enough to cook.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If you ever live overseas you WILL learn how to wash any produce you buy I'll assure you!.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

“She filled a sink with a mixture of 10% bleach solution, vinegar, and hot water, and soaked her produce.” Shortly after, she was transported to the emergency room due to difficulty breathing.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but....................   
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I know I shouldn't laugh, but....................

No shortage of Darwin Award nominees this year for sure.

Offline musiclady

Wild rhubarb pulled right out of the ground, fresh blackberries in the woods, raw corn on the cob in a cornfield, and now I have an immune system that can fight off anything!  happy77

That's part of the reason I let my kids play in the woods, get muddy and chew on grass.

Too much sterilization makes for weak kids.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Wild rhubarb pulled right out of the ground, fresh blackberries in the woods, raw corn on the cob in a cornfield, and now I have an immune system that can fight off anything!  happy77

That's part of the reason I let my kids play in the woods, get muddy and chew on grass.

My thoughts exactly.  I spent much of my early days getting muddy, playing in dirt, grass, etc. 

I now see my grandchildren being raised, where they pretty much never get dirty.  Has anyone noticed that the virus seems to be less impactful on Mexico thus far?  That may not be an accident or a statistical flaw. 

Offline musiclady

My thoughts exactly.  I spent much of my early days getting muddy, playing in dirt, grass, etc. 

I now see my grandchildren being raised, where they pretty much never get dirty.  Has anyone noticed that the virus seems to be less impactful on Mexico thus far?  That may not be an accident or a statistical flaw.

Hmmmm............... food for thought............ (so to speak)..

Offline Applewood

I agree.  My mother was a clean freak and she would get into a tizzy every time my brother would come home covered in mud and who knows what after playing with his buddies in the woods behind our house.  My father would say, "Mary, he's a boy.  Boys are supposed to get dirty." 

I'm a girl, but I wasn't much better.  And that really freaked out Mom.  Cleanliness, to the extent Mom practiced it, was one trait I did not inherit from her.   LOL

Offline musiclady

I agree.  My mother was a clean freak and she would get into a tizzy every time my brother would come home covered in mud and who knows what after playing with his buddies in the woods behind our house.  My father would say, "Mary, he's a boy.  Boys are supposed to get dirty." 

I'm a girl, but I wasn't much better.  And that really freaked out Mom.  Cleanliness, to the extent Mom practiced it, was one trait I did not inherit from her.   LOL

Girls are supposed to get muddy too.  wink777

My Mom was also a clean freak whose qualities I didn’t inherit.

I think lots of our Depression Moms were super clean.  I did have one friend whose Mom was super messy, and I loved playing at her house!

Offline Smokin Joe

:beer: 888high58888

Two of 'em? :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I remember as a child seeing my grandmother making pancakes and the flour had a tad of movement in it.  I said "Mee-Maw, I don't want pancakes with bugs in it." (weevils). I then got a history lesson that her generation and all of our ancestors would have starved if a little added wildlife would have be considered "ruined food".  Life today has become way too sterile, and I think to a certain degree it has hurt our ability to fight infections.
That's what a sifter was for, to get the weevils out.

That way if there were any which made it through the screen, you only had to deal with the lesser of all weevils.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

:yowsa:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Girls are supposed to get muddy too.  wink777

My Mom was also a clean freak whose qualities I didn’t inherit.

I think lots of our Depression Moms were super clean.  I did have one friend whose Mom was super messy, and I loved playing at her house!
Mom was not a clean freak, she just didn't like the feel of sand on a tile floor. We'd wash off on the step...and then wash the sand off the steps. She still keeps a clean house, but between the farm pastures, fields, the river, the creek, and the marsh, we got dirty. (She did more than her share of mending, too.)

C S Lewis