Author Topic: Video - The Puckle Gun: Repeating Firepower in 1718  (Read 1014 times)

Offline EdinVA

Video - The Puckle Gun: Repeating Firepower in 1718
« on: April 26, 2020, 07:09:21 pm »
The Puckle Gun is probably best known as that thing that had round bullets for Christians and square bullets for Turks, but there is much more to it than just that (and in addition, the square bullet version was never actually built). James Puckle designed it in 1718 as a naval defensive weapon to help British vessels fight back against Ottoman pirates using fast and nimble small boats that could not be effectively engaged with large cannon. Puckle's gun was a 9-shot repeater of about 1.25" bore on a flexible swiveling mount which could easily track the fastest marauder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPC7KiYDshw

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Video - The Puckle Gun: Repeating Firepower in 1718
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 08:14:03 pm »
Very cool. The quality of the metalwork was stunning for that time, as was the thinking behind it.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 08:49:59 pm »
Neat. NOt such a bad design but keeping powder dry in any naval application was hard to do in that era.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:05:35 pm »
Very cool. The quality of the metalwork was stunning for that time, as was the thinking behind it.
Yes... no idea how they would have done that without a lathe.. I guess time and patience..

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 09:06:16 pm »
Neat. NOt such a bad design but keeping powder dry in any naval application was hard to do in that era.
I think he said they only sold one... must be why..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:58:15 pm »
I think he said they only sold one... must be why..
Sold two, to the same buyer. One more built from extra parts and likely a few custom made ones (that was the one he demonstrated--no idea which parts were new)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis