Author Topic: Congress looks at options to punish China over the coronavirus outbreak  (Read 985 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Jennifer Haberkorn - Los Angeles Times and Tracy Wilkinson - Los Angeles Times 5/2/2020

Republican lawmakers and other U.S. officials, determined to punish China for concealing early data on the coronavirus outbreak, are proposing numerous measures to turn up the heat, from suing Beijing to ending U.S. military cooperation with Hollywood studios that censor their films for Chinese consumption.

Some of the proposals are less likely to prosper than others, but all come as the Trump administration is eager to deflect blame for its handling of the pandemic and amid a growing contempt for Chinese policies that many officials believe cost lives.

Senior administration officials have also toughened their rhetoric of China. After first praising Chinese President Xi Jinping for his handling of the coronavirus outbreak, Trump now blames China’s lack of transparency for deaths around the world. This week Trump said he was contemplating investigating China’s role in the spread of the disease.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, plans to introduce a bill next week that would bar the Pentagon from advising U.S. film studios about war reenactment and other military practices, or lend military equipment for the movie, unless the filmmaker pledges to not censor the movie for Chinese audiences at Beijing’s behest, a relatively common practice.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/05/congress-looks-at-options-to-punish-china-over-the-coronavirus-outbreak/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That'll teach 'em.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

That'll teach 'em.

No more technical advisors for your war movies until you stop Chinese censoring. Seriously?

They'll just get em from the Chicoms.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:53:50 pm by skeeter »

Offline libertybele

Disappointed in Ted.

Companies that continue to manufacture their goods in China need to be heavily taxed and tax breaks given to companies that bring back manufacturing to the U.S.  Pharmaceutical companies and those that manufacture medical supplies over in China need to be taxed at an even high rate and high tax breaks given to those companies that bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

Let's quit playing tiddly winks with the communists.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:02:47 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

Offline skeeter

Disappointed in Ted.

Companies that continue to manufacture their goods in China need to be heavily taxed and tax breaks given to companies that bring back manufacturing to the U.S.  Pharmaceutical companies and those that manufacture medical supplies over in China need to be taxed at an even high rate and high tax breaks given to those companies that bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

Let's quit playing tiddly winks with the communists.

His proposals look like more boob bait for bubba. Congress is not yet serious about this, it would seem.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
His proposals look like more boob bait for bubba. Congress is not yet serious about this, it would seem.

I doubt there will be really serious measures taken by Congress about China.  There will be Executive actions and regulations to get retribution, and there's public support for it.  People are becoming appalled at our dependency on China for things like PPEs and medicines.  It'll be fun watching the Rats try to fight them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I doubt there will be really serious measures taken by Congress about China.  There will be Executive actions and regulations to get retribution, and there's public support for it.  People are becoming appalled at our dependency on China for things like PPEs and medicines.  It'll be fun watching the Rats try to fight them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmieUrXwKCc

The rats ain't going to take a back seat to Trump on hating China.  If past is prologue, the China version of the Treaty of Versailles will be huge, and when it gets signed the Chinese people will be lucky to eat once a day.  I suspect their humiliating poverty, and inability to pay the sanctions will lead to more humiliation with occupation of Chinese lands, thus bringing to rise to a messianic dictator willing to challenge the world.

Offline Absalom

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmieUrXwKCc
The rats ain't going to take a back seat to Trump on hating China.  If past is prologue, the China version of the Treaty of Versailles will be huge, and when it gets signed the Chinese people will be lucky to eat once a day.  I suspect their humiliating poverty, and inability to pay the sanctions will lead to more humiliation with occupation of Chinese lands, thus bringing to rise to a messianic dictator willing to challenge the world.
------------------------------
Once-Ler as you're no doubt aware, since the First Emperors
some 4000 yeas past; China has never been threat to anyone
but its own people.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Congress? China?
Don't need it.
China is done. They're a Dead man.
They played the Joker card too soon.
Now, everyone knows what they are all about.
We don't need them. We don't want them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

------------------------------
Once-Ler as you're no doubt aware, since the First Emperors
some 4000 yeas past; China has never been threat to anyone
but its own people.

The people of Tibet, Vietnam and Hong Kong would not agree.  The COVID-19 virus itself makes your statement questionable, as does our own county's foreign policy.  Could you expound on your thinking @Absalom .  It makes little sense to me on it's surface.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Refraining from comment until anything concrete comes from DC.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

There are too many US congressmen in the Chicoms’ pocket. If there is action against China at all it’ll have to be via executive order.

China is not the monolith we tend to think of them as. It will be interesting to see what happens when the good times stop rolling over there. I suspect they may implode.

Offline Absalom

The people of Tibet, Vietnam and Hong Kong would not agree.  The COVID-19 virus itself makes your statement questionable, as does our own county's foreign policy.  Could you expound on your thinking @Absalom .  It makes little sense to me on it's surface.
-------------------------
Fair enough.
China has been ruled from top down since day one to the present.
Their Rulers see ideas, the catalyst for a creative impulse, as a dangerous threat.
Hence they have been cheating, lying and stealing forever; no surprise.
Militarily, they have yet to reach the level of embarrassment, being a chronic punching bag.
During the 19th century, China went to war w/Britain, France, India, Japan and Russia;
some more than once; being soundly thrashed each and every time.
Based on their history, China is no threat to any serious nation.

-------------------------
Fair enough.
China has been ruled from top down since day one to the present.
Their Rulers see ideas, the catalyst for a creative impulse, as a dangerous threat.
Hence they have been cheating, lying and stealing forever; no surprise.
Militarily, they have yet to reach the level of embarrassment, being a chronic punching bag.
During the 19th century, China went to war w/Britain, France, India, Japan and Russia;
some more than once; being soundly thrashed each and every time.
Based on their history, China is no threat to any serious nation.
@Absalom thanks for your reply.

I understand what you wrote and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote except your conclusion that "China is no threat to any serious nation."
I think the US is a serious nation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8203513/China-biggest-threat-America-poses-threat-says-Bill-Bar.html

Barr was asked whether he considered Russia or China the biggest security risk to the upcoming presidential election.

'In my opinion, it's China', Barr told FoxNews. 'Not just to the election process, but, I think, across the board.'

'There's simply no comparison,' Barr added. 'China is a very serious threat to the United States - geopolitically, economically, militarily, and a threat to the integrity of our institutions, given their ability to influence things.'

He also said:  “The Chinese are engaged in a full-court blitzkrieg of stealing American technology, trying to influence our political system, trying to steal secrets at our research universities and so forth.'

Maybe Barr is wrong.  Maybe Russia is a bigger threat, but I don't doubt China is a huge threat to US.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Defaulting on the bonds we sold to Red China should be first.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm confused, why would Congress be looking to punish China over the Covid outbreak when I thought all along Pelosi and the democrats said eveything happening in America was Trumps fault?

Offline Absalom

@Absalom thanks for your reply.
I understand what you wrote and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote except your conclusion that "China is no threat to any serious nation."
I think the US is a serious nation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8203513/China-biggest-threat-America-poses-threat-says-Bill-Bar.html
Maybe Barr is wrong.  Maybe Russia is a bigger threat, but I don't doubt China is a huge threat to US.
----------------------------
Once-Ler.
My judgement of the direct Chinese threat to the USA is less than zero, militarily; while about zero, economically.
Nevertheless the embarrassments we label leaders, has emboldened China to deal w/us as a clown nation/state they can manipulate, easily.
As a result:
* they seduce our crony capitalists, whose only loyalties are to fat wallets, into investing in China.
* they hustle globalist assholery like the UN into promoting their agenda in the 3rd world, as benign.
* they promote fear among their neighbors, creating unease along the Pacific Rim, excepting Japan.
So I will concede your point that China, while not a threat, is certainly a serious danger to stability.
Having said that, I'm reminded of a tale about Asian Powers, from my days at Trinity, Dublin.
Around the 4th Century BC, the Persian Empire emerged, conquering and enslaving virtually all of SW Asia, under the Achaemenid Dynasty who insisted all within their reach. kow-tow or suffer their wrath. Predictably, the Greeks refused so Emperor Darius III decided to exterminate them.
The Greeks, led by Alexander, and outnumbered by almost 5 to 1, engaged the Persians at
Gaugamela (Mosul, Iraq) in 331 BC and within half a day (according to Plutarch) annihilated the Persian horde, exceeding 250,000; destroying their Empire!!!
Moral of the story: size cannot measure strength and resolve.
Two Asian nation/states escaped that neurosis; India, due to Great Britain and Japan, due to the USA. Stay well.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:03:36 am by Absalom »