Author Topic: Trump to scale back coronavirus press conferences after disinfectant comment: report  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Applewood

I've seen lots of bashing over the past few years, and I didn't think you were bashing.   :shrug:

Thank you @Cyber Liberty    happy77

Offline Applewood

Nope, not buying it.  Without guilt you wouldn't have jumped all over me @Applewood

I didn't jump on you. 

Offline skeeter

And how did I do that?

Anyone who thinks its cool the president said things without thinking would be pretty unintelligent, no?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:40:59 pm by skeeter »

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Trump should open the briefing, give the latest info, answer 1 or 2 questions then turn it over to Pence....when he stands there answering sometimes idiotic questions all the MSM is looking for is a gotcha after that...jmo

Pence is not assertive enough and is passive and doesn't point out the failures nor inaccuracies of the MSM.  These briefings have become a smear campaign against Trump by the MSM.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Pence is not assertive enough and is passive and doesn't point out the failures nor inaccuracies of the MSM.  These briefings have become a smear campaign against Trump by the MSM.

They seem surprised Trump will interrupt and fence with them when they start asking gotcha questions of members of the Task Force, like Fauci and Birx.  Pence is a big boy and a politician so I gladly defer to him on handling those questions.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I agree and admit when Pence takes over the briefing I leave it....and so do most networks
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

They seem surprised Trump will interrupt and fence with them when they start asking gotcha questions of members of the Task Force, like Fauci and Birx.  Pence is a big boy and a politician so I gladly defer to him on handling those questions.

No one will cover the briefings without the President....except tp ask "Where is the President?"

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I agree and admit when Pence takes over the briefing I leave it....and so do most networks

His parts usually don't last that long anyway.  Usually about enough time to make a quick sammich.  Or get another beer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No one will cover the briefings without the President....except tp ask "Where is the President?"

Yes.  They stand up and notice when he keeps it to 22 minutes.  And I agree, he's a necessary player if he wants to keep peoples attention.  I still hear him say things that bug me, but it goes with the territory.  I don't agree with myself 100%, either.
I will NOT comply.

Offline corbe

The only reason I watch this daily CF is for the entertainment value in Trump sparring with the press.  I also leave when Pence comes on~too wooden.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Anyone who thinks its cool the president said things without thinking would be pretty unintelligent, no?

No, I don't think it's cool that the MSM is so cynical and devious during this time; time and time again during these briefings they attack they President and he has to defend himself.  Time and time again they misconstrue or take out of context what he says.  Yes, I'm sick of it.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

The only reason I watch this daily CF is for the entertainment value in Trump sparring with the press.  I also leave when Pence comes on~too wooden.

Yes, Trump handles the press rather forcefully and effectively.  I however, stopped watching as I got tired of the b.s. from the press.  As for Pence ... he's a snooze fest. I'm really hoping Trump appoints another VP.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I’m probably going to piss many of you off by saying this and frankly I don’t give a damn. When it comes to medicine and science, despite his uncle being a “brilliant MIT engineer” as if that was hereditary, Trump is an idiot. Yes, I said it, he’s an idiot. But unlike your crazy uncle spouting off crazy nonsense at the Thanksgiving dinner table or looking directly at the Sun during a solar eclipse, he is POTUS and needs to be held to a higher standard.

Trump should open these briefings by giving (reading) a brief general overview of the current situation and giving the country words of encouragement. He should then turn it over to the members of the task force and leave.

These pressers have become more ridiculous each and every passing day and his tangents and boasts and attacks on the press and political opponents more akin to one of his rallies are not IMO helping the situation. But Trump loves the “ratings”, you know he beat the Bachelor finale ratings don’t you? He even told us so.

When Bill Bryan of the Science and Technology Directorate at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security was giving his presentation, he was talking about studies being done that “preliminarily” indicate that sunlight and the application of bleach and isopropyl alcohol and other disinfectants kill the virus on solid non-porous surfaces and the possible effect that heat and humidity has on the virus when it is aerosolized.

That’s when Trump went on his tangent, quoted here from the official White House transcript:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing-31/

Thank you very much.  So I asked Bill a question that probably some of you are thinking of, if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting.  So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it.  And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too.  It sounds interesting.

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  We’ll get to the right folks who could. (my comment – this is sort of like when the govement guy told Indiana Jones - “We have top men working on it right now”)

THE PRESIDENT:  Right.  And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute.  One minute.  And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning.  Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs.  So it would be interesting to check that.  So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with.  But it sounds — it sounds interesting to me.

Note he is not seeming to say that this injection “inside” means cleaning indoor or outdoor spaces as he says “So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with”. Why would you need medical doctors involved in disinfecting indoor or outdoor spaces or surfaces?

So we’ll see.  But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute, that’s — that’s pretty powerful.

I watched it and re-watched it several times. At no point did this sound like Trump was being “sarcastic”.

It goes on where Bryan has to clarify several times and explain to Trump that hands are not a non-porous surface:

Q    Mr. Bryan, can you explain why some hotspots we’ve seen in the U.S. are hot and humid, like New Orleans, for example?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  Let me explain — if you look at the coronavirus as a chain with many links, what we’ve done through our study is we’ve identified some of the weak links in that chain, that the virus — the transmission of the virus depends upon.  We identified that heat and humidity is a weakness in that chain.  We’ve identified that sunlight, solar light, UV rays is a weakness in that chain.  That doesn’t take away the other activities — the guidance from the White House, the guidance from the CDC and others on the actions and steps that people need to take to protect themselves.

This is just another — another tool in our tool belt, right?  Another — another weapon in the fight that we can add to it and, in the summer, we know that summer-like conditions are going to create an environment where the transmission can be decreased.  And that’s an opportunity for us to get ahead.

Q    But I — just, can I ask about — the President mentioned the idea of cleaners, like bleach and isopropyl alcohol you mentioned.  There’s no scenario that that could be injected into a person, is there?  I mean —

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  No, I’m here to talk about the findings that we had in the study.  We won’t do that within that lab and our lab.  So —

Note after this Trump says it wouldn’t be through injection although he earlier asked (to Bryan) if that could be done and later asked Birx if heat and light could be used as a treatment to which she tried to deflect by saying something about fevers and looking to Bryan for help.

THE PRESIDENT:  It wouldn’t be through injection.  We’re talking about through almost a cleaning, sterilization of an area.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work.  But it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object.

Q    Mr. Bryant, are we simplifying it too much by saying that it’d be better with the warmer weather and the sun coming out more and more, that people would be outside than staying inside their home, confined to the four walls of their house?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  It would be irresponsible for us to say that we feel that the summer is just going to totally kill the virus and that if it’s a free-for-all and that people ignore those guidelines.  That is not the case.

We have an opportunity, though, to get ahead with what we know now and factor that into the decision making for what opens and what doesn’t.

THE PRESIDENT:  But so are you saying, on surfaces, the heat, the hot summer, and whatever other conditions — humidity and lack of humidity — that that would have an impact so that on surfaces, where it can be picked up, it will die fairly quickly in the summer, whereas in the winter, it wouldn’t die so quickly?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  Yes, Mr. President.  When it’s exposed to UV rays — take playground equipment, for example: The UV rays hitting a piece of playground equipment will kill the virus when it hits that — when it hits on the playground equipment.  But underneath, where the sun does not get, if someone touched that and had it on their hands, it could still be there, right?  Because it has to be in direct light of the UV rays.

THE PRESIDENT:  If it’s on somebody’s hands, right?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  Yes.

THE PRESIDENT:  And they haven’t touched their face and all of the things that we’ve all been —

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  If it’s exposed to the sun, it’ll —

THE PRESIDENT:  I know, but if they’re outside — right — and their hands are exposed to the sun, will that kill it as though it were on a piece of metal or something else?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  Not — I don’t want to say it will at the same rate, because it’s a non-porous surface.  But what we do know — what we do know is that we looked at the worst-case scenario, and the virus lives longer on non-porous surfaces.  So porous surfaces, it doesn’t look quite as long.  So, in theory, what you said is correct.

THE PRESIDENT:  This is sort of semi-non-porous, right?  This, right?

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  That’s true.  Yes, Mr. President.

Bryan here doing the delicate dance that so many others have been forced to learn of correcting without contradicting the self-described stable genius who has a “knack for this stuff”.

As I understand from several reports, Trump does not attend the task force pre-briefing meetings where he could have these discussions with the task force and ask these questions and get answers and clarifications beforehand, and that he reads or more precisely skims the briefing material only just before the briefing. If Trump wants to “brainstorm” his “ideas”, that should be done behind closed doors before broadcasting his stream of consciousness on live TV. So what is he actually doing beforehand? Watching cable news and Tweeting of course.

FWIW – here is a clip. For one thing, does Trump seem to be “joking” or being “sarcastic”? The other is the look on Dr. Birx face. I’ve seen it described as “the moment your soul leaves your body” and one person on Twitter that her blinking was perhaps her blinking out a Morse Code SOS distress call.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BalDN6iGYpE

Oh then there’s this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline corbe

Offline Neverdul

Yes, Trump handles the press rather forcefully and effectively.  I however, stopped watching as I got tired of the b.s. from the press.  As for Pence ... he's a snooze fest. I'm really hoping Trump appoints another VP.

I hear that Triple H may be available.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I hear that Triple H may be available.

Hubert Humphrey?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Neverdul

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I think the press conferences are a net positive for President Trump and the nation.  The media unfairly accused him of recommending disinfectants as cures.  IMO He merely asked a dumb question of his task force in front of cameras.  A question that I might have asked like "could disinfectants be utilized internally in small doses safely?"  I see nothing wrong with the question, and had Dr Fauci been there I'm sure he would have stepped in and said "We will pursue every avenue, but under no circumstances should anyone experiment or self-medicate with Lysol."

President Trump has repeated many times he's not a doctor.  Up until this point I have no criticism.  When the media comes back the next day he should have said "You didn't like my question? fine. noted."  Instead he made it worse by saying he was sarcastically trolling the press.  Blame goes to his ego, but it also goes to gotcha press.  It's kind of hard to admit a mistake when your enemy "the enemy of the people" is standing over you and mocking you.  We've all seen it here and even been involved with it.  I've had arguments where a red hot angry post results in a mistake or poor word choice, but rather than step back and correct the mistake, I double down and blame the other guy for misunderstanding me.

Even with the damage done I still don't think it matters much.  The media would like to turn this into some game-changing tipping point.  I think that only happens if President Trump lets them scare him away from the press conferences. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think the press conferences are a net positive for President Trump and the nation.  The media unfairly accused him of recommending disinfectants as cures.  IMO He merely asked a dumb question of his task force in front of cameras.  A question that I might have asked like "could disinfectants be utilized internally in small doses safely?"  I see nothing wrong with the question, and had Dr Fauci been there I'm sure he would have stepped in and said "We will pursue every avenue, but under no circumstances should anyone experiment or self-medicate with Lysol."

President Trump has repeated many times he's not a doctor.  Up until this point I have no criticism.  When the media comes back the next day he should have said "You didn't like my question? fine. noted."  Instead he made it worse by saying he was sarcastically trolling the press.  Blame goes to his ego, but it also goes to gotcha press.  It's kind of hard to admit a mistake when your enemy "the enemy of the people" is standing over you and mocking you.  We've all seen it here and even been involved with it.  I've had arguments where a red hot angry post results in a mistake or poor word choice, but rather than step back and correct the mistake, I double down and blame the other guy for misunderstanding me.

Even with the damage done I still don't think it matters much.  The media would like to turn this into some game-changing tipping point.  I think that only happens if President Trump lets them scare him away from the press conferences.

Bottom line, that is exactly where I am on this original topic.  He only loses if he knuckles under demands to sit down and shut up.  That's simply not in his character (such as it is).  I didn't vote to have a smooth-talker like the former Preezy of the United Steezy, I voted for somebody to take the fight to the enemy, and nobody ever said that would be always pretty.

Don't stop doing center ring in the daily briefing if you want people to watch the show.  If he has them accusing him of encouraging people to inject Lysol into their veins, which is clearly NOT what he said, they I call that a bit of a "win."  He's making them look like uncultured, unhinged fooles.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bele observed:
"Pence is not assertive enough and is passive and doesn't point out the failures nor inaccuracies of the MSM."

And so it will go if he's able to get himself elected president in 2024.
He'll be a one-termer, just like Bush 1 was after Reagan.

Offline libertybele

bele observed:
"Pence is not assertive enough and is passive and doesn't point out the failures nor inaccuracies of the MSM."

I don't think Pence will run unopposed in 2024 ... I look for Ted to try again.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
bele observed:

This is why I would not mind having Trump replace Pence, but I can see good reasons not to do that.  That said, Bush 43 really should have replaced Cheney in 2004.  The reason for picking him in 2000 no longer applied in 2004 and Bush could have risked a younger Veep that could have had a chance in 2008, rather than leaving the field barren for McStain, the loser.  The thrower of elections.
I will NOT comply.