Author Topic: Luxury Hotelier Who Backed Trump Wins Big in Small-Business Aid  (Read 927 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/luxury-hotel-executive-biggest-winner-of-small-business-relief

A combined total of $59 million from the small business lending package went to three lodging companies chaired by Monty Bennett, according to regulatory filings. The money went to Braemar Hotels & Resorts, which owns luxury properties including the Ritz-Carlton in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Ashford Hospitality Trust Inc., which owns more than 100 hotels around the country, and the firm that manages both.

The PPP has come under fire after big restaurant chains like Potbelly Corp. and Ruth’s Chris Steak House got loans, while many mom-and-pop firms were left stranded when the initial $349 billion in funding for the program ran out of money last week. The House is expected to vote Thursday on a bill approving an additional $320 billion for the initiative.

The loans to Bennett’s companies underscore how large firms were able to take advantage of the small business program because of a loophole nestled in the bailout package that allowed companies with multiple locations to apply for loans that can convert to grants if they maintain employees and payrolls at certain levels.

more hair pulling details at link.

To be fair, nobody saw this coming because nobody read the bill before passage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Luxury Hotelier Who Backed Trump Wins Big in Small-Business Aid
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 03:15:04 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/luxury-hotel-executive-biggest-winner-of-small-business-relief

Well, that's one thing which really is a hallmark of the Pelosi House.

You gotta pass it to find out what's in it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:22 am »

You have to read the bill to know what's in it.  It was an absolute emergency to waste money and they didn't have time to read it.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:18:45 am »

It passed unanimously in the Senate too.  Signed by our President.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:18:45 am »

Well so true.  And true of not only Nancy Pelosi.  It seems they were all pass it and find out later.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 03:22:43 am »
It passed unanimously in the Senate too.  Signed by our President.
Emergency legislation.

Lovely stuff, you can put almost anything in there.

When anyone gripes, just claim "They don't care...), "They are holding up vitally needed..." whatever it might be.

The more people are hurting, the more you can get away with.

Perfidy on the part of Congress, especially the ones who put that sort of crap in there.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 03:27:51 am »
I will never believe that Trump personally had any input into who gets what. He is big picture. That is below his paygrade.
And in any case, all of these companies are required to pay the money back in short order. So there's not much of a gain there.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 03:32:08 am »
Emergency legislation.

When anyone gripes, just claim "They don't care...), "They are holding up vitally needed..." whatever it might be.

Perfidy on the part of Congress, especially the ones who put that sort of crap in there.
Agreed.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:20 am »
I will never believe that Trump personally had any input into who gets what. He is big picture. That is below his paygrade.
And in any case, all of these companies are required to pay the money back in short order. So there's not much of a gain there.
It's nice of you to exclude President Trump of responsibility for the laws he signs.  I do the same for the record setting DOW numbers we used to get.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:20 am »
Emergency legislation.

True, and publicly shame anyone who questions.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 03:45:43 am »
It's nice of you to exclude President Trump of responsibility for the laws he signs.  I do the same for the record setting DOW numbers we used to get.
That's the same as claiming he supports all the pork crap Pelosi stuffs into all these bailout bills.
He gets the bill and he signs it, for the greater good not for the minor details.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 03:49:25 am »
True, and publicly shame anyone who questions.

Let me start.  Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.)  and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.). conspired to kill American jobs and defeat the latest $Half billion Phase 4.

damn, I'm good at that.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 03:56:18 am »
That's the same as claiming he supports all the pork crap Pelosi stuffs into all these bailout bills.
He gets the bill and he signs it, for the greater good not for the minor details.
I'm old enough to remember when President Trump vowed to VETO pork stuffed spending bills, and old enough to remember when his next vows of frugality were followed by rim-shots.  Yours would be a better argument if our President had ever said no to more money.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 04:03:44 am »
How long would it take you to go through a 1000 page Bill and understand the implications of "In subsection 3 paragraph 2 the words following "and" shall be struck and replaced with language which brings it into compliance with subsection 2, paragraph 3A."

Even if you know what is in it, you don't necessarily know all the implicatons of that by just reading the Bill.

Besides, if you don't sign it, YOU are holding up the desperately needed aid for (whatever plays best against you in the MSM), 24/7, above the fold, until you sign! It's Media based blackmail and it is effective, because the media won't dig unless there are landmines in the legislation put there just for you, and they will find them (maybe even with help from the people who really wrote them in)..

C S Lewis

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 04:14:23 am »
How long would it take you to go through a 1000 page Bill and understand the implications of "In subsection 3 paragraph 2 the words following "and" shall be struck and replaced with language which brings it into compliance with subsection 2, paragraph 3A."

Even if you know what is in it, you don't necessarily know all the implicatons of that by just reading the Bill.

Besides, if you don't sign it, YOU are holding up the desperately needed aid for (whatever plays best against you in the MSM), 24/7, above the fold, until you sign! It's Media based blackmail and it is effective, because the media won't dig unless there are landmines in the legislation put there just for you, and they will find them (maybe even with help from the people who really wrote them in)..

As long as it takes for me and my staff to read it before my name goes on it, but that would be important to my legacy.  Of course, I might skim sections if I knew the participants, in its writing, were good people who would look out for me.  I would know that from the numerous other laws sent to me by those participants where they looked out for me.

If my legacy was fulfilled by finger pointing I'd sign anything as soon as possible.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 04:23:16 am »
As long as it takes for me and my staff to read it before my name goes on it, but that would be important to my legacy.  Of course, I might skim sections if I knew the participants, in its writing, were good people who would look out for me.  I would know that from the numerous other laws sent to me by those participants where they looked out for me.

If my legacy was fulfilled by finger pointing I'd sign anything as soon as possible.
Then your legacy, regardless of what was in the Bill, would be that you had delayed in fulfilling the actions of the elected representatives of the people in providing aid to the country in times of crisis. That would be your political epitaph, especially in the face of a hostile press, owned by the opposition party.

You would have to expose some obvious and outrageous stuff very quickly that would enrage the population in general in order to not be excoriated for even the threat of a veto.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 06:01:07 pm »
Let me start.  Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.)  and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.). conspired to kill American jobs and defeat the latest $Half billion Phase 4.

damn, I'm good at that.

Boy you are.  l am sure AOC didn't think it was enough because we know she wants to be the gift that just keeps going.  The others have different motives.

I can't find the post, but you wrote I think today about the subject of having to pass a bill to know what's in it.  Someone else asked how long it would take Trump to read 1000 pages.  Well 20 people read 50 pages of bulleted legislation.  Not long.  Isn't like reading a book with pages that are full.  No, its sections.  Get some of those high price Senators to sit for 4 hours and read the bill.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 06:11:10 pm »
Geez, get a room, you two.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 06:25:37 pm »
I can't find the post, but you wrote I think today about the subject of having to pass a bill to know what's in it.  Someone else asked how long it would take Trump to read 1000 pages.  Well 20 people read 50 pages of bulleted legislation.  Not long.  Isn't like reading a book with pages that are full.  No, its sections.  Get some of those high price Senators to sit for 4 hours and read the bill.
@Chosen Daughter
I wouldn't have a problem with politics as usual, if I hadn't been sold a song and dance about fixing Washington DC in 2016.  You make a great point on how easy that would actually be.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 06:28:18 pm »
@Chosen Daughter
I wouldn't have a problem with politics as usual, if I hadn't been sold a song and dance about fixing Washington DC in 2016.  You make a great point on how easy that would actually be.

So true.  I honestly wish it wasn't so easy.  Because there isn't any excuse.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 06:46:35 pm »

Yeppers, Congress wrote it. And anyone who thinks chains like Red Lobster or Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel haven't been hit, hard, is not thinking clearly.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:02 am »
My guess is that they are already nearly out of money again.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 12:46:41 am »
Geez, get a room, you two.

Apparently this is the owner's idea, of a "Conservative Hub"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln