Author Topic: Humor Breatk: Video-Misheard Lyrics | Peter Kay: The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour  (Read 1744 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Misheard Lyrics | Peter Kay: The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour

Peter Kay

One thing's for certain, you will never hear these songs in the same way again!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7my5baoCVv8

Online Right_in_Virginia

Hat tip:  @DCPatriot

I'm still LMAO!!   :happyhappy:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
As a reformed DJ, I always find these amusing.  "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy..."

True story:  Once, while visiting a friend in Van Nuys I knocked back some beers with a fellow who used to play keyboards for Yes in the early 70's and some in the 80's.  He had a video from one of their concerts we were watching.  I asked him, "Jon Anderson writes weird lyrics.  In 'Roundabout' I hear:

In and around the lake
Mountains come out of the sky and stand...there.

That doesn't make any sense!  What were the words, really?"

He just stared at me like I had two heads.  He had a good Rick Wakeman story from a tour.  Years later, I got around to Goggling the lyrics, and that's actually what they were.  Huh.  In fact, the whole song is like that.  Look:

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=lyrics+for+roundabout+by+yes
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Suddenly I'm remembering a story that when the Beatles were still paying heavy dues in Liverpool and (especially) Hamburg, John Lennon had a habit of changing lyrics for amusement, particularly when they played "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay" and he'd sing "Rock and roll will always be/down in the penitentiary" . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Hat tip:  @DCPatriot

I'm still LMAO!!   :happyhappy:

ROFL!!

After seeing your post on FB...watched it again and had tears in my eyes!   

Luv ya!      happy77     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

As a reformed DJ, I always find these amusing.  "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy..."

True story:  Once, while visiting a friend in Van Nuys I knocked back some beers with a fellow who used to play keyboards for Yes in the early 70's and some in the 80's.  He had a video from one of their concerts we were watching.  I asked him, "Jon Anderson writes weird lyrics.  In 'Roundabout' I hear:

In and around the lake
Mountains come out of the sky and stand...there.

That doesn't make any sense!  What were the words, really?"

He just stared at me like I had two heads.  He had a good Rick Wakeman story from a tour.  Years later, I got around to Goggling the lyrics, and that's actually what they were.  Huh.  In fact, the whole song is like that.  Look:

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=lyrics+for+roundabout+by+yes

I could never understand why Marshall Tucker would claim to have 'heard it in a love song ten feet long'.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, really, what is the line or two after "Blinded by the light..."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So, really, what is the line or two after "Blinded by the light..."

Not what you think!   :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

Not what you think!   :laugh:
But, but....but... I don't know what to think!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But, but....but... I don't know what to think!

Worry not!  A Democrat will be along shortly to tell you what to think.  They're really good at that, just ask one.
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Just like a one wing dove...
Sings a song sounds like shes singing ooh ooh ooh

or

Someone left the cake out in the rain...
(every line of this song is a mystery to me?)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Right_in_Virginia

ROFL!!  After seeing your post on FB...watched it again and had tears in my eyes!   

Luv ya!      happy77     :beer:

Mega dittos!   :bighug:

@DCPatriot

Offline EasyAce

Someone left the cake out in the rain...
(every line of this song is a mystery to me?)
Jim Webb, who wrote "MacArthur Park" (and such songs as "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and "Wichita Lineman"), has said it was about his breakup with a girl who once lunched with him frequently in the Los Angeles park that gives the song its title; the chorus in which appears the line to which you refer is a metaphor for the relationship itself---one day Webb had actually seen a cake left in the rain in that park and, apparently, thought that was a perfect image for the end of the relationship . . .

p.s. It's also true that Webb bet actor Richard Harris a Rolls-Royce that he could write a song even Harris could make into a hit single . . .

Richard Harris, "MacArthur Park"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:26:07 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Jim Webb, who wrote "MacArthur's Park," has said it was about his breakup with a girl who once lunched with him frequently in the Los Angeles park that gives the song its title; the chorus in which appears the line to which you refer is a metaphor for the relationship itself---one day Webb had actually seen a cake left in the rain in that park and, apparently, thought that was a perfect image for the end of the relationship . . .

Thanks for this @EasyAce  ... I always thought Webb was just really stoned when he wrote it.   :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

Thanks for this @EasyAce  ... I always thought Webb was just really stoned when he wrote it.   :laugh:
@Right_in_Virginia
I'm willing to bet you a Rolls-Royce that you could fill every 50,000+-seat major league baseball park, including standing room, with everyone else who assumed that!

Online Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia
I'm willing to bet you a Rolls-Royce that you could fill every 50,000+-seat major league baseball park, including standing room, with everyone else who assumed that!

Sorry. I love my rolls too much.   :laugh:

BTW ... has he ever fessed up to being stoned??

@EasyAce

Offline Smokin Joe

Worry not!  A Democrat will be along shortly to tell you what to think.  They're really good at that, just ask one.
Oh, Hell no!  I ain't pulling that string! They'd never shut up!

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

Sorry. I love my rolls too much.   :laugh:

BTW ... has he ever fessed up to being stoned??

@EasyAce
@Right_in_Virginia
He admitted to being a pot smoker in the late '60s-early '70s in his memoir The Cake and the Rain. He also admitted trying LSD twice in that period (once with Johnny Rivers), while he was still in the relationship that eventually inspired "MacArthur Park." By the time they'd broken off and he'd decided to write "MacArthur Park," Webb's pair of acid days were well enough gone. He never tried it again.

He also a) once owned the home Phil Harris built for Alice Faye and lived in until they decided to get out of Hollywood, move permanently to Palm Springs to raise their children, and drive into Los Angeles only to perform their hit Sunday night radio show (until they gave it up in 1954); and, b) was given three Corvettes by Glen Campbell and his representatives as appreciation for having written three of Campbell's biggest hits: "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," "Wichita Lineman," and "Galveston."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:05:25 am by EasyAce »

Offline goatprairie

Jim Webb, who wrote "MacArthur Park" (and such songs as "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and "Wichita Lineman"), has said it was about his breakup with a girl who once lunched with him frequently in the Los Angeles park that gives the song its title; the chorus in which appears the line to which you refer is a metaphor for the relationship itself---one day Webb had actually seen a cake left in the rain in that park and, apparently, thought that was a perfect image for the end of the relationship . . .

p.s. It's also true that Webb bet actor Richard Harris a Rolls-Royce that he could write a song even Harris could make into a hit single . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
From what I've read in the recording studio Webb tried desperately to get Harris to sing MacArthur Park and not MacArthur's Park as Harris sings it on the record.
He failed, and simply gave in and let the record go with Harris's mispronunciation.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

MacArthur Park was the longest running 45 RPM record I ever saw, clocking in at something like 7:45 or so.  The grooves were visibly smaller than other records.  Breathe on the tone-arm and it would skip.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

MacArthur Park was the longest running 45 RPM record I ever saw, clocking in at something like 7:45 or so.  The grooves were visibly smaller than other records.  Breathe on the tone-arm and it would skip.
The full version of American Pie wasn't short, either.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The full version of American Pie wasn't short, either.

Yes, but...it was split onto both sides of the 45.  MacArthur park was all mastered on one side, and that's rare.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, but...it was split onto both sides of the 45.  MacArthur park was all mastered on one side, and that's rare.
Definitely.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Definitely.

I was a radio DJ of that era.  That was a song we dubbed onto a tape cartridge, rather than play off the record directly.  I was grateful Donna Summers' cover version was shorter.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

"MacArthur Park" was the first single hit to run past seven minutes in 1968, right before the Beatles' "Hey Jude." Then, in 1972, came the surprise of the year: Derek & the Dominos's "Layla" issued full-length on a single . . . two years after their only tour and their breakup while trying to record a second album. (The song was included on a two-LP anthology, History of Eric Clapton, in spring 1972 and---after an edited version bombed as a single in early 1971---hit the top ten nationwide and number one in several markets.)

A year earlier, jazzman Cannonball Adderley had a composition by his brother, Nat, "Games," on the B-side of a single and clocking in at 7:00 even. Since it was the B-side, of course, it got little to no airplay and didn't get anywhere close to what was on its plug side: "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" . . .