Author Topic: Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee governors reopening their states  (Read 658 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee governors reopening their states
Just the News, Apr 21, 2020

The governors of South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia announced plans Monday to ease shelter-in-place restrictions in their states that were implemented to slow the coronavirus pandemic.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said that his sheltering order will expire for most state residents after April 30. The Republican governor said that on April 27 certain facilities including "theaters, private social clubs, and restaurant dine-in services" will be permitted to reopen but will still need to observe social distancing and sanitation requirements.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, a Republican, indicated that his state will begin reopening next week. The state's stay-at-home order will expire the last day of the month and many businesses will be permitted to open again on the first of May.

“Our Economic Recovery Group is working with industry leaders around the clock so that some businesses can open as soon as Monday, April 27,” said Lee, according to a press release. “These businesses will open according to specific guidance that we will provide in accordance with state and national experts in both medicine and business.”

South Carolina GOP Gov. Henry McMaster said on Monday that beaches, department stores and some other retailer previously considered nonessential will be allowed to reopen on Tuesday, thought they must enforce social distancing guidelines.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/tennessee-and-georgia-govs-begin-reopening-their-states-soon

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee governors reopening their states
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 05:54:39 pm »
We're startin' to roll ....  happy77

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 05:58:24 pm »
Come on Il...I want to see my grandbabies...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:29:52 pm »
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said that his sheltering order will expire for most state residents after April 30. The Republican governor said that on April 27 certain facilities including "theaters, private social clubs, and restaurant dine-in services" will be permitted to reopen but will still need to observe social distancing and sanitation requirements.

A governor with some common sense, asking for personal responsibility instead of acting like a tyrant.  This could have started a week or two ago.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:41:57 pm »
Each state needs to really assess their situation.  Looking at FL -- there is no way that the whole state should open.  With almost 10,000 cases in one county in SE Fl -- that last thing we need are those that tested positive to start traveling across the state. With a population of over 21 million, we would a situation worse than NY.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 06:43:10 pm »
A governor with some common sense, asking for personal responsibility instead of acting like a tyrant.  This could have started a week or two ago.

Unfortunately, I don't see areas with large populations of illegals taking any personal responsibility, just sayin'.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:55:38 pm »
My county (having the highest number of infections in the State of Georgia) has a known infection rate of 0.2%.  Not really seeing the risk of sitting 10 feet away from another family at a local restaurant.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 03:43:44 am »
Thank you brave GOP petri dishes.  Good Luck.

tested               dead
Georgia            20,166                818
South Carolina    4,608                135    
South Dakota     1,755                    8

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 11:35:29 am »

So, @Onceler,  how much economic ruin do you tolerate - most of it borne by the working poor - until you conclude that, in the end,  whether you or me or anyone else gets the virus is primarily a matter of our own personal responsibility.

What are needed are "rules of the road",  not government diktats that prevent folks from making an honest living.  How do you think that Americans navigate millions of miles of roads every year with only the occasional accident?   Every driver knows it's up to him or her to follow the rules to be safe.   And we count on every other driver having a similar motivation.   

And so it is for COVID-19.  Americans are capable of acting in their own best individual interest, which coincides with the community's interest.

Let's get this country back to work,  with rules of the road. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:44:52 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 02:08:15 pm »

Thank you for allowing us to run our States as we see fit instead of having liberals from Democrat states forcing us to do what they think we should do.

By the way, the purpose of the shut down was to ensure that hospitals would not be overwhelmed.  Yet hospitals here are laying off workers due to lack of patients.  A makeshift hospital set up inside the Geogia World Congress Center has yet to see its first patient.  So unless the goal posts have been moved, the reason for the shutdown has passed.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »
That cannot be emphasized enough, @Hoodat .   The only reason to wreck an entire economy is to prevent the hospital system from being overwhelmed.

If that is no longer the case,  then it is time to reopen for business.   The virus won't go away until sufficient herd immunity is developed,  so getting on with that might as well be faced squarely and without placing a disproportionate burden on the poor.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 02:56:00 pm »
We're startin' to roll ....  happy77

only if your state has a rational governor  Mine doesn't. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 06:09:57 pm »
So, @Onceler,  how much economic ruin do you tolerate - most of it borne by the working poor - until you conclude that, in the end,  whether you or me or anyone else gets the virus is primarily a matter of our own personal responsibility.

I personally tolerate a lot of ruin, when my life and my families lives are on the line. @Jazzhead

What are needed are "rules of the road",  not government diktats that prevent folks from making an honest living.  How do you think that Americans navigate millions of miles of roads every year with only the occasional accident?   Every driver knows it's up to him or her to follow the rules to be safe.   And we count on every other driver having a similar motivation.   

And so it is for COVID-19.  Americans are capable of acting in their own best individual interest, which coincides with the community's interest.

Let's get this country back to work,  with rules of the road.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you go back to work first.  I got a Trump check.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:59 am »
We'll find out in short order if this policy works or backfires.

Having said that, here in CT we had yet another record-breaking day of new infections, biggest yet, over 2,000 new cases since yesterday.

It might have something to do with the new drive-in "5-minute" testing center opened in New Haven by CVS and Abbot Laboratories (the company that developed the test).
I think that anyone can sign up to be tested, no doctor referral needed...