Author Topic: Fauci warns protests will 'backfire,' slow economic recovery  (Read 660 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fauci warns protests will 'backfire,' slow economic recovery
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:35 pm »
By Brett Samuels - 04/20/20 10:08 AM EDT

Anthony Fauci, the top government official on infectious diseases, warned Monday that protests in opposition to governors' stay-at-home orders meant to slow the spread of the coronavirus will "backfire" and further delay the reopening of the economy.

"Clearly this is something that is hurting from the standpoint of economics and the standpoint of things that have nothing to do with the virus, but unless we get the virus under control, the real recovery economically is not going to happen," Fauci said on "Good Morning America."

"So what you do if you jump the gun and go into a situation where you have a big spike, you’re going to set yourself back," he said. "So as painful as it is to go by the careful guidelines of gradually phasing into a reopening, it’s going to backfire. That’s the problem."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/493647-fauci-warns-protests-against-against-stay-at-home-orders-will
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Fauci warns protests will 'backfire,' slow economic recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:52:18 pm »
By Brett Samuels - 04/20/20 10:08 AM EDT

Anthony Fauci, the top government official on infectious diseases, warned Monday that protests in opposition to governors' stay-at-home orders meant to slow the spread of the coronavirus will "backfire" and further delay the reopening of the economy.

"Clearly this is something that is hurting from the standpoint of economics and the standpoint of things that have nothing to do with the virus, but unless we get the virus under control, the real recovery economically is not going to happen," Fauci said on "Good Morning America."

"So what you do if you jump the gun and go into a situation where you have a big spike, you’re going to set yourself back," he said. "So as painful as it is to go by the careful guidelines of gradually phasing into a reopening, it’s going to backfire. That’s the problem."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/493647-fauci-warns-protests-against-against-stay-at-home-orders-will

Most areas with stay at home orders DO have the virus contained.  That's not the problem (IMHO), -- let people live their lives and let those most vulnerable decide for themselves whether or not to venture out.  I believe that there is a lot to be said for herd immunity.  A vaccine is at least 18 months out. People aren't going to survive being locked up for that long.  They are letting prisoners out, yet people are locked down in their homes.  What's wrong with that picture??

As for Fauci -- I think he's served his purposed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:29:57 pm »
Translation from Fauci-speak to Cop-speak:  "Stop resisting!"  (Followed by a shot from a Taser and a Maglite Migrain.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:42:11 pm »
A couple of days ago, after nationally televised demonstration:

"Today at about 1pm, members of the Huntington Beach Police Department responded to the intersection of Walnut and Main regarding a protest. The protesters were at the location to demonstrate their desire for the re-opening of the California economy. The crowd was initially small, but by about 1:30pm, it quickly grew to a group of over 200 people.

While the department worked to get enough resources there to manage the protest effectively, the people at the location began violating some of our local ordinances regarding public assembly including walking in the middle of the street and carrying signs with large sticks that could be used as weapons. Once we had sufficient officers in place, they utilized great restraint in dealing with circumstances that could have escalated into significant police action. We were able to contact the organizers of the protest and disperse the majority of the crowd peacefully without incident or without any arrests.

Our department, along with law enforcement in general, is in a difficult spot given the circumstances the Stay at Home Order has had on peoples’ lives while upholding minor violations of the law. This does not mean we condone the protest, nor will we ignore future gatherings such as these, but we do understand people’s emotions are high and many are frustrated with the current Executive Order.

We are asking our community and those that visit Huntington Beach to remember we are under an Executive Order by the State, which specifically states all residents of California should stay at home in an effort to help flatten the curve in regard to community spread of COVID-19. The more people are out and gathered in groups, the more COVID-19 will spread in our community and endanger lives. If we keep spreading the disease, the more likely we will have to continue this order for a longer period of time. After all the work we have put in thus far to comply with the State order, we do not want to see a resurgence of the disease.

Although this event was peaceful, we do not encourage our residents to loosen their social distancing practices just yet. It is still not okay to gather in groups. As we work with local, state and federal government officials, we ask that you continue to be patient and stay the course. Public safety will continue to be our top priority, and we ask that you continue to follow the orders set forth by the State of California."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:42:04 am »
bele wrote:
"A vaccine is at least 18 months out..."

I'll bet there's one ready to be used by November. December at the latest.
However, it might not be approved by the FDA...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:42:23 am »
Crowding together in a protest (like the picture) is likely to cause fresh hotspots.
It only takes a couple of carriers in a group like that to kick things up again.

In that, Fauci is right, it does have the potential to reset the clock on 'last case' in an area.

But I also agree that jobs should open back up in low risk areas, and that those who go to work at those jobs should take the precautions they feel necessary, as well as assess the risk to themselves.  In some places some parts of the economy can be restarted, if only on a limited basis. Deal with infection hotspots when they happen.

If you have those underlying medical conditions, staying out of the scrum is likely solid advice, and could be lifesaving.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 03:59:59 am »
Crowding together in a protest (like the picture) is likely to cause fresh hotspots.
It only takes a couple of carriers in a group like that to kick things up again.

In that, Fauci is right, it does have the potential to reset the clock on 'last case' in an area.

But I also agree that jobs should open back up in low risk areas, and that those who go to work at those jobs should take the precautions they feel necessary, as well as assess the risk to themselves.  In some places some parts of the economy can be restarted, if only on a limited basis. Deal with infection hotspots when they happen.

If you have those underlying medical conditions, staying out of the scrum is likely solid advice, and could be lifesaving.

My fear is that there will be "spreaders" who will intentionally target the states that lift restrictions.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:05:04 am »
My fear is that there will be "spreaders" who will intentionally target the states that lift restrictions.
Entirely possible, even paid "spreaders". Maybe ANTIFA got a different t-shirt?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:17:54 am »

Hence the strong recommendation to hang in there longer, for the betterment of all.

My brother and his son have almost shut down their specialty construction business, laid some good people off termporarily.

The son believes in keeping our distances, to reach good results.

(His sister just became a doctor, and starts during this mess)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:41 am »
Hence the strong recommendation to hang in there longer, for the betterment of all.

My brother and his son have almost shut down their specialty construction business, laid some good people off termporarily.

The son believes in keeping our distances, to reach good results.

(His sister just became a doctor, and starts during this mess)
If you are in a high contact industry, yes, hang in there a little longer.

I start on a road crew in a couple days, just patching and filling cracks. Not many in the crew, not much people contact. In a county with only a few cases (under 10).

Not much risk, but we'll all be wearing masks because of the dust. :shrug: At least it is a job.

For the new Doc: "baptism by drowning", If she handles this successfully, she'll be ready for most anything.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:26:34 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis