Author Topic: Trump Ramps Up Border Wall Land Grabs Amid Pandemic Lockdowns  (Read 524 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
OZY by Nick Fouriezos 4/16/2020

Exclusive: Trump Ramps Up Border Wall Land Grabs Amid Pandemic Lockdowns

Last month, as President Donald Trump told millions of Americans to stay home in response to the coronavirus, lawyers on the Texas border began noticing a strange trend — a sharp spike in the number of eminent domain cases being sent to the courts.

In just over three months in 2020, the Trump administration has already filed at least 26 new cases in its efforts to acquire land in Texas to build his long-promised Mexico border wall. That’s roughly a third of the 77 total cases issued in the entirety of Trump’s tenure in office, according to data compiled by the Texas Civil Rights Project. Since the start of March, the federal government has filed 16 new cases — encompassing more than 1,000 acres of land — even as Trump was announcing social distancing guidelines and governments shut down many nonessential services.

That’s sparking concerns among critics of the wall that the Trump administration might be using the nationwide scare of the coronavirus to push through an agenda that might otherwise have faced far greater resistance. Many defendants are going unrepresented in courts, say lawyers.

“They are trying to take advantage of the pandemic, when lawyers are not going to be as willing to take cases and many people are sheltering in places,” says Ricky Garza, a staff attorney at the Texas Civil Rights Project, whose lawyers are fighting some of the administration’s eminent domain cases in court. Meanwhile, property owners whose land Uncle Sam is seizing are having to decide whether to show up in court and risk contracting the virus or not coming and waiving many of their legal rights. “They are asking our clients to make an impossible choice: between their health and defending their homes,” Garza says.

More: https://www.ozy.com/news-and-politics/trump-ramps-up-border-wall-land-grabs-amid-pandemic-lockdowns/309145/

Offline EdinVA

Re: Trump Ramps Up Border Wall Land Grabs Amid Pandemic Lockdowns
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 01:36:23 am »
Everyone else is taking advantage, why shouldn't the President.... fair is fair..

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:05:58 am »
How many times have they sawed through the new fence/wall in San Diego?

Smugglers sawed into Trump's border wall 18 times in one month in San Diego area, records show
Nick Miroff, The Washington Post Published 9:27 am PDT, Friday, April 17, 2020

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Smugglers-sawed-into-Trump-s-border-wall-18-times-15207991.php?ipid=newsrecirc

Campaign wall was supposed to be impenetrable.  Remember those prototypes? 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:10:35 am »
How many times have they sawed through the new fence/wall in San Diego?

Smugglers sawed into Trump's border wall 18 times in one month in San Diego area, records show
Nick Miroff, The Washington Post Published 9:27 am PDT, Friday, April 17, 2020

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Smugglers-sawed-into-Trump-s-border-wall-18-times-15207991.php?ipid=newsrecirc

Campaign wall was supposed to be impenetrable.  Remember those prototypes?
Nothing is impenetrable, just inconvenient.  Even the Berlin Wall had escapees.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 10:26:35 pm »
"Trump Ramps Up Border Wall Land Grabs Amid Pandemic Lockdowns..."

This is a GOOD thing.
Get all that land rounded up and ready.
The 5th Amendment guarantees compensation for the [former] landowners.
I suggest the government reward them with payments above market value...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:29:33 pm »
"Trump Ramps Up Border Wall Land Grabs Amid Pandemic Lockdowns..."

This is a GOOD thing.
Get all that land rounded up and ready.
The 5th Amendment guarantees compensation for the [former] landowners.
I suggest the government reward them with payments above market value...
A lot of people are going to need work when this is over...A building boom on the border? 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:26 pm »
Hopefully they will also be compensated for the reduction in value of their property that will be on the river side of the wall.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 10:57:00 pm »
Hopefully they will also be compensated for the reduction in value of their property that will be on the river side of the wall.
That should happen. Some means of water access will have to be worked out for ranchers and others who use that water, too.

C S Lewis