Author Topic: CDC reviewing ‘stunning’ universal testing results from Boston homeless shelter  (Read 807 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

https://www.boston25news.com/news/cdc-reviewing-stunning-universal-testing-results-boston-homeless-shelter/Z253TFBO6RG4HCUAARBO4YWO64/

CDC reviewing ‘stunning’ universal testing results from Boston homeless shelter
By: Drew Karedes
Updated: April 15, 2020 - 11:06 PM
BOSTON — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now “actively looking into” results from universal COVID-19 testing at Pine Street Inn homeless shelter.

The broad-scale testing took place at the shelter in Boston’s South End a week and a half ago because of a small cluster of cases there.

Of the 397 people tested, 146 people tested positive. Not a single one had any symptoms.

“It was like a double knockout punch. The number of positives was shocking, but the fact that 100 percent of the positives had no symptoms was equally shocking,” said Dr. Jim O’Connell, president of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, which provides medical care at the city’s shelters.

This is an interesting look at how we have to discover:

* People can be asymptomatic from point of infection through recovery;

* People can spread this coronavirus pretty readily, but the rate of the people they infected not having symptoms may be quite high;

* The reasonably anticipated high death rate among homeless people hasn't happened, AFAWK.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Of the 397 people tested, 146 people tested positive. Not a single one had any symptoms.

Very scary.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Very scary.
Or, on the other hand, encouraging, since it may mean this virus has been far more widespread than originally anticipated and that it is likewise far less fatal than anticipated. Or the testing is wack; my suspicion is the latter.

It's part of the reason I'm glad some places are using hospitalization data as opposed to tests that may or may not be reliable.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
https://www.boston25news.com/news/cdc-reviewing-stunning-universal-testing-results-boston-homeless-shelter/Z253TFBO6RG4HCUAARBO4YWO64/

CDC reviewing ‘stunning’ universal testing results from Boston homeless shelter
By: Drew Karedes
Updated: April 15, 2020 - 11:06 PM
This is an interesting look at how we have to discover:

* People can be asymptomatic from point of infection through recovery;

* People can spread this coronavirus pretty readily, but the rate of the people they infected not having symptoms may be quite high;

* The reasonably anticipated high death rate among homeless people hasn't happened, AFAWK.
I would expect the homeless, because of their exposure to pathogens, have immune systems that are purt'near bulletproof, barring self-(or otherwise) injected pathogens.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Or, on the other hand, encouraging, since it may mean this virus has been far more widespread than originally anticipated and that it is likewise far less fatal than anticipated. Or the testing is wack; my suspicion is the latter.

@jmyrlefuller

Agreed!

I'm glad you wrote that. I was beginng to think it was just me,and I am not having a good "thinking" day.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
This study, to use a Trump term, is GREAT NEWS!!!  I have known almost from the get go this virus was wide spread.  My wife and I believe we had it in early January, before we were even warned about the virus.

However, the CDC never developed an antibody test to determine just who had the virus.  Is there any reason why other than they are focused on destroying Trump?  I have no other answers for that.

This result mirrors outcomes on other studies.  We are shutdown unnecessarily.  Exceptions of course for hot zones, but there was never a need to shut the whole country down.  Pure idiocy.

It's part of the reason I'm glad some places are using hospitalization data as opposed to tests that may or may not be reliable.

Fair point.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This study, to use a Trump term, is GREAT NEWS!!!  I have known almost from the get go this virus was wide spread.  My wife and I believe we had it in early January, before we were even warned about the virus.

However, the CDC never developed an antibody test to determine just who had the virus.  Is there any reason why other than they are focused on destroying Trump?  I have no other answers for that.

This result mirrors outcomes on other studies.  We are shutdown unnecessarily.  Exceptions of course for hot zones, but there was never a need to shut the whole country down.  Pure idiocy.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

“It was like a double knockout punch. The number of positives was shocking, but the fact that 100 percent of the positives had no symptoms was equally shocking,” said Dr. Jim O’Connell, president of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, which provides medical care at the city’s shelters.

Not shocking at all for us since quite a few posters here have been predicting this for weeks.  Get the antibody test going, and then get the hell out of the way!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
  Get the antibody test going, and then get the hell out of the way!

Does anybody know why "antibody" testing is more difficult than a normal Quest  or VA blood draw?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hoodat

Does anybody know why "antibody" testing is more difficult than a normal Quest  or VA blood draw?

It should be easier since antibodies are much larger in size than viruses, thus easier to detect.  A test can be performed with a drop of blood.  The only hold up right now is hesitancy of the FDA, due primarily to Chinese manufacturers who are flooding the market with antibody tests that don't work.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It should be easier since antibodies are much larger in size than viruses, thus easier to detect.  A test can be performed with a drop of blood.  The only hold up right now is hesitancy of the FDA, due primarily to Chinese manufacturers who are flooding the market with antibody tests that don't work.

A few days ago I posted a news article from the San Jose Mercury news, about several testing efforts, and either the same thing, I heard about efforts from Standford.

In my locale, many people report bad colds back during the Nov-Feb timeframes.
Evidence seems to be mounting that many have had something, possibly Covid19.

But little is known beyond that, for instance if a person testing with antibodies, is permanently immune, etc.

It continues to be a subject with many unknowns.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
It is not more difficult.  The medical pukes dragged their feet, saying that is not what we need to focus on at present.  Plus, it is my contention that most of the key figures are anti Trumpers and they have been dragging their feet.  Anything to damage Trump's chances in November.

We will open the country up and still not have tests indicating what the level of infection has been.  People should have their head handed to them for this incompetence.

It is not more difficult.  The medical pukes dragged their feet, saying that is not what we need to focus on at present.  Plus, it is my contention that most of the key figures are anti Trumpers and they have been dragging their feet.  Anything to damage Trump's chances in November.

We will open the country up and still not have tests indicating what the level of infection has been.  People should have their head handed to them for this incompetence.

I doubt President Trump is too dumb to see close-up what you see from your living room.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I doubt President Trump is too dumb to see close-up what you see from your living room.
It's like having an emergency inflatable life raft on a boat. It's there, it's supposed to be there in case the boat sinks. You won't know if it works until it's thine to use it. If it fails, you're treading water.

The agencies like the CDC and other emergency response agencies within the Federal Government are much the same. You don't know if they are working until you drop them in and pull the lanyard. In this case, there was a lot more incompetence than there should have been, now exposed.
Sure, it's evident now, but earlier, it was just hanging on the wall looking good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis