Author Topic: Melting glaciers in Norway reveal a lost Viking-era mountain pass scattered with perfectly preserved  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail by Jonathan Chadwick 4/16/2020

Melting glaciers in Norway reveal a lost Viking-era mountain pass scattered with perfectly preserved artefacts up to 1,700 years old including knitted mittens, a wooden whisk and a broken walking stick with a runic inscription

•   Newly-discovered artefacts in Norway mountains date as far back as AD 300

•   They are from a mountain pathway used by long distance travellers and traders

•   The melting of the mountain glaciers means historical objects are being revealed

Melting glaciers in Norway have revealed ancient artefacts dropped by the side of a road more than 1,000 years ago.

Clothes, tools, equipment and animal bone have been found by a team at a lost mountain pass at Lendbreen in Norway’s mountainous region.

A haul of more than 100 artefacts at the site includes horseshoes, a wooden whisk, a walking stick, a wooden needle, a mitten and a small iron knife.

The team also found the frozen skull of an unlucky horse used to carry loads that did not make it over the ice.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8224817/Melting-ice-reveals-lost-Viking-mountain-path.html

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But I thought we'd be flying off the hockey stick by now?

(Oh, yeah, /sarc)

This is neat, and doubtless a wonderful time capsule.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis