Author Topic: Trump reverses course and hands decision on reopening economy to governors  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Idiot

Yeah, just now reading that Roamer is gone... Dangit... ticks me off.
Don't kid yourself...he'll be back.

Online Hoodat

Yeah, just now reading that Roamer is gone... Dangit... ticks me off.

Roamer had to drive to the store.  He should be back home by dark.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I am actually impressed with Trump on this.  He is reminding everyone how this is supposed to work.  Looking back at Katrina, President Bush took the same approach of letting States assess their own situations and request help from the federal government accordingly.  With Louisiana, that State basically told him they didn't need his help, and then after everything fell apart, blamed the federal government for not coming in at the beginning and taking over.  The press stole the narrative and lambasted Bush and his government with criticism that it was the Federal Government's job to run Louisiana.

Today, President Trump has taken the initiative by notifying all States (and the press) that this is a State issue, but the Federal Government is there to help if asked.  It has placed the ball in the court of Newsome, Inslee, Cuomo, Whitler, etc. that they are responsible for their individual States which includes knowing what to ask for from the Feds.

Bush allowed the Democrats and the press (redundant) to run roughshod over him.  Trump has put on the gloves and fought back.
@Hoodat I'm not agreeing with you, but that's a pretty good argument.  I can't predict the future, and only time will tell if it's smart strategy, but if the President wants to convey a message of "We are all in this together" this won't do it.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

True ... but who was talking about this before the latest fabricated outrage about the President ignoring the 10th Amendment? 

Had the President just turned this over to the states -- without governors and the media militia demanding it -- the headline would have been along the lines of "President Dumps all COVID-19 Responsibilities on the States --- Governors Furious!"

The President has turned this into an opportunity to publically state he's "counting on the governors to do a really good job". 

"We're here to assist and watch."    888blackhat

@libertybele
I agree,  the President has the bully pulpit and the Governors have the power.

Now we need Abbott to take the lead and reopen, as other states will follow or will gradually wither away until the only ones working in those states are government employees. 

Now wouldn't that send shivers down your spine?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

I agree,  the President has the bully pulpit and the Governors have the power.

Now we need Abbott to take the lead and reopen, as other states will follow or will gradually wither away until the only ones working in those states are government employees. 

Now wouldn't that send shivers down your spine?
It's time to start opening areas up....NOW.  Start with the rural areas.....  So get your butt back to work @Smokin Joe !  lol
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:25:40 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's time to start opening areas up....NOW.  Start with the rural areas.....  So get your butt back to work @Smokin Joe !  lol
The price of oil will have to recover first. In the meantime, I'm pulling wrenches on the 'fleet', and getting that ready before I scrounge up some fill in work doing whatever just to get some cash flow.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

The price of oil will have to recover first. In the meantime, I'm pulling wrenches on the 'fleet', and getting that ready before I scrounge up some fill in work doing whatever just to get some cash flow.

Take care buddy.  It will come back.  I received my first unemployment check ever yesterday.  My CPA suggested I do it, along with the PPP loans/grants.  Money spent on your salary, rent, utilities, etc don't have to be paid back....for your business.  You might consider doing this.  It would sure help.

Offline Smokin Joe

Take care buddy.  It will come back.  I received my first unemployment check ever yesterday.  My CPA suggested I do it, along with the PPP loans/grants.  Money spent on your salary, rent, utilities, etc don't have to be paid back....for your business.  You might consider doing this.  It would sure help.
Problem is, I spent the last year and a half as an employee. (Which sucked, in a way because I lost a bunch of deductions). I'll check into unemployment, but it's such a pain to even sign up in this state, I'll likely find a job first.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

Roamer had to drive to the store.  He should be back home by dark.

Why do you feel the need to antagonize?  A really good poster and fellow Briefer is upset enough to leave.  That shouldn't be in here.  Mutual respect is needed; regardless of opinion (which we are all entitled to have). 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Why do you feel the need to antagonize?  A really good poster and fellow Briefer is upset enough to leave.  That shouldn't be in here.  Mutual respect is needed; regardless of opinion (which we are all entitled to have).

Good on you for saying so @libertybele respect shouldn't be left to the Mods.   :hands:

Online Hoodat

I wasn't aware that Roamer had quit the forum when I wrote that.  It was meant as personal humor for Roamer since he does live a long way from the store.  I had no idea he had left permanently nor have I see any posts that indicate his departure.

Having said that, I have a heck of a lot of respect for Roamer.  If he is truly gone, then the overall quality of this forum just took a huge hit.  As I don't have any contact information for him, I will just have to sit back and wait to see when he returns.  It's a patience thing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

While we're at it, I miss Frank and Roos and Catherine too.

Online Hoodat

And BigheadFred's shoe avatar.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

While we're at it, I miss Frank and Roos and Catherine too.
And Jazzy?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

And Jazzy?

@Jazzhead is still here.  He's just taking this self-quarantine thing a bit too far.  Someone should tell him that it is safe to post.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Jazzhead is still here.  He's just taking this self-quarantine thing a bit too far.  Someone should tell him that it is safe to post.
Maybe he is having trouble typing with gloves on...

C S Lewis