Author Topic: Windows 7 End Of Life: What You Need To Do Now To Stay Safe  (Read 910 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Windows 7 End Of Life: What You Need To Do Now To Stay Safe
« on: April 15, 2020, 08:09:25 pm »
Windows 7 End Of Life: What You Need To Do Now To Stay Safe
How to move on from — or keep living with — Windows 7

A legion of vocal PC enthusiasts swears by Windows 7. Why? Because it stays out of your way, and it just works.

Until today. On January 14, 2020, Microsoft ends Windows 7’s extended support. Windows 7 has reached end of life and the free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus program will no longer be supported either.

Your PC will keep operating, of course. Microsoft isn’t literally pulling the plug on your devices. But Windows 7 won’t receive any more updates or security patches, meaning your PC will also be very vulnerable to all those nasty malware programs garnering headlines seemingly every day. If you keep using Windows 7 — and over a quarter of all computers run it, per NetMarketShare — you’re on your own, and the Internet can get nasty.

We can help you stay as safe as possible, though.

more
https://top10antivirus.review/blog/windows-7-is-dead-how-to-stay-safe
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Windows 7 End Of Life: What You Need To Do Now To Stay Safe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »
Why drop a good operating system? Get a good antivirus (free) program and good ad-block program (Ublock Origin) and don't open suspicious emails from folks you don't know.

Still running XP here with no problems.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:10 pm »
Why drop a good operating system? Get a good antivirus (free) program and good ad-block program (Ublock Origin) and don't open suspicious emails from folks you don't know.

Still running XP here with no problems.

Me too...just get CCleaner the free version and you are all set..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »
Me too...just get CCleaner the free version and you are all set..

That's a good product.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 10:09:38 pm »
I bought a new HP computer with Windows XP in 2002.  The computer lasted till 2018; it literally started smoking.  Luckily I was able to transfer all of my pictures and other data to a thumbdrive before it just completely quit. 

I bought another HP afterwards with Windows 10 -- not all that.  I still like XP much better, but I'm used to it.  Had problems with my printer the other day and discovered it was a faulty port on the new computer -- so ... the HP that I had for 16 years, may have been a relic, but it was the best computer I ever bought.  I had very few problems with it and only had to have it serviced twice.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 10:35:20 pm »
I probably stayed on XP about as long as you did. Windows 10 wouldn't load on the Dell that my daughter had given me. It was surplussed from her job. So I built a new machine. I've never bought a new machine. I've always put them together. I discovered I had a couple of apps that wouldn't run on 10. So I finally got around to using 7 but only in a virtual window.

Years ago I almost lost all my data. My HD wouldn't always boot the first time. And like a fool I ran that way for too long. I then picked up another drive to copy all my data and then my HD wouldn't boot. I tried and tried and tried. No Joy. As a final try, I pulled the HD and stuck it into the freezer. I put it back into my PC and it booted right up. I immediately cloned it to my new drive.

Since then I have a NAS box that I use for scheduled backups. That's where all my music and movies are stored.