Author Topic: Trump claims he, not governors, has power over states on deciding reopening country  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Someone needs to train Trump.  Prepare his statements and have him on Teleprompter.  Any devation from script needs a low voltage shock, much like Pavlov's Dog. 

He really needs to stop giving the media ammo to destroy him.  His added bickering with the media slimes, only plays into their hand.

Yep. But his history as a showman likely means that he believes that bad press is better than no press at all. Or as P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.”
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Hoodat

-----------------------------
At his core Trump is an entertainer and narcissist who sadly never heard of either
Sun-tzu or Niccolo Machiavelli and we are the worse for it in the eyes of the  world.

At the same time, Trump is doing a good job handling this crisis.  Several governors have commented that Trump delivered everything he promised.  As far as the effectiveness of the federal government goes, the current administration of this situation is far better than any such crises in the past.

Having said that, the press will never be satisfied with anything Trump says.  They will always lie, cheat, and set traps and try to nail him on the nuances of his words instead of actual policy decisions.  Trump will never win a battle where the left sets the rules on a whim.  With the current exchange, it is clear that Trump said the States are free to disregard his recommendation and keep their States closed.  But you wouldn't know that by reading these hit pieces that the press generates.  In their version of the story, those words are omitted, tossed down the memory hole as the past is rewritten.  But that doesn't change Trump's words no matter how hard the press tries to invent a new narrative.  So I choose to go by what Trump actually said instead of the abridged version the press offers in order to smear him.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

Yep. But his history as a showman likely means that he believes that bad press is better than no press at all. Or as P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.”

And the concept of keeping his cool and controlling his tongue is something that he will clearly never learn.

If he did, his approval numbers would be through the roof.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

At the same time, Trump is doing a good job handling this crisis.  Several governors have commented that Trump delivered everything he promised.  As far as the effectiveness of the federal government goes, the current administration of this situation is far better than any such crises in the past.

Having said that, the press will never be satisfied with anything Trump says.  They will always lie, cheat, and set traps and try to nail him on the nuances of his words instead of actual policy decisions.  Trump will never win a battle where the left sets the rules on a whim.  With the current exchange, it is clear that Trump said the States are free to disregard his recommendation and keep their States closed.  But you wouldn't know that by reading these hit pieces that the press generates.  In their version of the story, those words are omitted, tossed down the memory hole as the past is rewritten.  But that doesn't change Trump's words no matter how hard the press tries to invent a new narrative.  So I choose to go by what Trump actually said instead of the abridged version the press offers in order to smear him.

Besides all this, its discouraging to see 'conservatives' getting all wee weed up about the constitutionality of an executive order granting us our freedoms back while staying relatively quiet about the constitutionality of local orders stripping our freedoms from us.

Offline Absalom

“Oderint dum metuant.” - Lucius Accius, later the motto of Caligula....
(And many centuries later, of my son’s Unit in Iraq.  happy77)
----------------------------
Precisely and the core of why Rome survived and thrived for some 13
centuries while founding Western Civilization alongside Ancient Greece.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
-----------------------------
Agree that the media is his mortal enemy which is why leaders MUST "know their enemy."
Trump emphatically does not, which is why yip-yap is his core tool of leading.
The media has absolutely no fear of him which is why they bait him virtually every minute
of the day and what is his response? Why to engage them in a mutual urinary contest!!!
An old Roman asserted " it is far better the Prince be feared rather than loved."
Were Trump feared, the media would never even think of abusing him.
At his core Trump is an entertainer and narcissist who sadly never heard of either
Sun-tzu or Niccolo Machiavelli and we are the worse for it in the eyes of the  world.
Actually, I'm not mistaking his banter with the media for the leading he does, I just see it as wrangling with an antagonistic force he isn't allowed to bitch slap.
That all lets the people know he doesn't agree with their nonsense, which is what others should have done instead of let the media just run roughshod over them.

The leading isn't going on in the press room, it is happening behind the scenes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

Actually, I'm not mistaking his banter with the media for the leading he does, I just see it as wrangling with an antagonistic force he isn't allowed to bitch slap.
That all lets the people know he doesn't agree with their nonsense, which is what others should have done instead of let the media just run roughshod over them.

The leading isn't going on in the press room, it is happening behind the scenes.

Well stated.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This is a great thread.  I probably shouldn't stain it with my presence any longer.  Carry on.