Author Topic: Treatment of COVID-19 patients at Texas City nursing home draws ethical questions  (Read 427 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Nick Powell and Taylor Goldenstein April 10, 2020

Treatment of COVID-19 patients at Texas City nursing home draws ethical questions

TEXAS CITY — When Larry Edrozo got a phone call from his mother’s nursing home in Texas City telling him she was being treated for the novel coronavirus with an unproven pharmaceutical drug, he had two questions: why was she getting the drug if she had not been showing symptoms, and who gave consent?

Helen Edrozo, 87, is one of 56 residents at the Resort at Texas City who tested positive for the coronavirus, and one of 39 residents being medicated with hydroxychloroquine, a drug typically used to treat malaria and lupus that has shown some evidence of possibly tamping down symptoms of the virus.

The use of hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients has drawn controversy globally as the medical community and public debate the ethics of testing a medication before significant research is available — and in the case of elderly patients such as those at The Resort at Texas City, on a population that is statistically more vulnerable to the virus. While President Donald Trump has touted the drug’s benefits, a large controlled study of hydroxychloroquine has not yet been completed, and some doctors warn the drug combination used for the experimental treatment could have severe, potentially deadly side effects.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Treatment-of-COVID-19-patients-at-Texas-City-15194710.php

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think if the patients are mentally competent to give informed consent, they should be allowed to take the course of medication.
That said, it is a NOVEL Coronavirus. Because it is new, technically, there is no drug approved for use against it.

That said, if there is no bad medical result to complain about, complain about breaches of protocol, lack of testing, sloppy cursive on the patient charts, the color of their scrubs, something!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

I think if the patients are mentally competent to give informed consent, they should be allowed to take the course of medication.
That said, it is a NOVEL Coronavirus. Because it is new, technically, there is no drug approved for use against it.

That said, if there is no bad medical result to complain about, complain about breaches of protocol, lack of testing, sloppy cursive on the patient charts, the color of their scrubs, something!
Maybe extending the patients life is putting a dent into the expected inheritance.  happy77

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe extending the patients life is putting a dent into the expected inheritance.  happy77
I'm sure something will be left after the attorney takes contingency fees and expenses for the lawsuit.

Well, maybe.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yeah I've known people like that and sadly have relatives that resemble it. Unfortunately..............for them, I have my mothers POA and am executor of her Will and my attitude is that it's my mom's money if and she wants or needs to spend every penny that's OK!