Author Topic: History Question: Why Did China Never Invade Taiwan?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
History Question: Why Did China Never Invade Taiwan?
« on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:53 pm »
History Question: Why Did China Never Invade Taiwan?
A tale of spy vs. spy.
by Ian Easton

Key point: The Nationalist forces that fled to Taiwan made counterintelligence a priority.

In the summer of 1949, Chiang Kai-shek and his Republic of China (ROC) government appeared doomed. Shanghai and Nanjing, then China’s capital city, had fallen to Mao Zedong's communist forces, and Chiang's units all over China were collapsing under the weight of mass attack and defections.

Southeastern China's harbors were clogged with ships ferrying ROC government officials, troops and treasure to Taiwan, the final redoubt of “Free China.” Soon, only a long string of offshore islands stretching from Zhoushan in the north down to Hainan in the south would be left under Chiang's control. It was at this pivotal moment in history that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) began planning the invasion of Taiwan.

From June 1949 to June 1950, PLA generals under Mao Zedong undertook intensive battle planning and preparations for what was to become the formative strategic challenge facing China’s new communist leadership. An unexpected turn of history kept Mao and his generals from putting their Taiwan invasion plan into action. On June 25, 1950, North Korea invaded South Korea, and U.S. President Harry Truman swiftly decided to save South Korea’s friendly government, while also ordering the U.S. Seventh Fleet to prevent a possible Chinese invasion across the Taiwan Strait.

Read more at:  https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/history-question-why-did-china-never-invade-taiwan-96271

The author here, Ian Easton also wrote that other article. Surely, some sort of free lancer, perhaps a historian, perhaps not.

I do take what is published in NATIONAL INTEREST and FOREIGN POLICY with a grain of salt. Still, it's apt for discussion.

I think I saw some movie or something when people were fleeing North Korea with the advent of Communism.  It might have been a discussion here as well.

Offline TomSea

Re: History Question: Why Did China Never Invade Taiwan?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:04:20 pm »
Ian Easton: The United States Cannot Afford to Lose Taiwan

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:48:30 pm »
Because they would have gotten their asses kicked up to their shoulders.  Next!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:05:46 am »
Because they would have gotten their asses kicked up to their shoulders.  Next!
---------------------------
Very likely.
Those who insist China is the next world power reveal their
abysmal ignorance of China's military capabilities and history.
In the 19th century alone, China was defeated more than a
dozen times by the likes of Great Britain, France, India and Japan.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 12:07:23 am »
Our abandonment of Taiwan and favoritism of China is a real stain on the elite political intelligentsia of the last 50 years. I remember Trump was chastised because he mentioned it by name after the election.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:12:37 am »
Our abandonment of Taiwan and favoritism of China is a real stain on the elite political intelligentsia of the last 50 years. I remember Trump was chastised because he mentioned it by name after the election.

The United States Department of State has much blood on its hands!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 01:01:33 am »
While, in the year 2020, the Communists are
stealing us blind to the tune of $6 billion a year,
 have unleashed a pandemic on the world which has
cripled the world economy,   building
 artificial islands in the South China sea, have control
 of well over 80% of our pharmaceuticals, in the past, exported ingredients of fentanyl, belt and road initiative, interests in many of the world's precious metals. Control
at the UN,  yes,  glad to see that they are losing so bad.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:07:44 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 01:06:17 am »
They have also gotten countless countries to not recognize Taiwan as a country.  Some show their ignorance of the world today.  That is certainly no victory.

So influence, they had a lot. The pandemic though should change all.

And yet, that might not even ward off the Democrats.

And I'd not forget 3 letters as to why China has not invaded Taiwan, USA, USA.

And hey, aren't the Taiwanese Chinese too? These arguments are goofy then. 

And the Nationalists apparently, did not win that civil war.   *****rollingeyes*****

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:56:48 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 04:55:50 am »
China didn't invade because of a little organization known as "SEATO" would have handed them their asses.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 01:51:02 pm »
China didn't invade because of a little organization known as "SEATO" would have handed them their asses.

That and a little body of water known as the Formosa Straight.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 05:56:05 pm »
That and a little body of water known as the Formosa Straight.

@Bigun

Even today they only have one aircraft carrier,and they had to buy that off the Russians.

Last I heard it was broke down and non-operational in it's home port.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 06:28:53 pm »
Like most South American and African craphole countries, China is now nationalizing foreign factories and driving all foreigners out of China. They are going to lose their global manufacturing status in a big way.

Only a fool would ever open a plant of any kind in China ever again, now that they have become fascistic isolationists. Which is a good thing for the world economy IMO, and very bad for China. Eventually many countries all over the globe will view China as 'hostile', and eventually will stop doing business with them at all. China is going to come out as the BIGGEST LOSER when all of this settles down. China has showed its hand, and now everyone all over the world realizes what they are really all about. They are not friendly, cooperative, or even concerned about the well being of the world at large.

China has Trump's America First policy X 1000. China is always first. China only cares about China. Nothing else matters.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:10:03 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 09:43:06 pm »
This article is the best explanation of why China has never invaded and also why they won't in the near future either.

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8643

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:30 pm »
Like most South American and African craphole countries, China is now nationalizing foreign factories and driving all foreigners out of China. They are going to lose their global manufacturing status in a big way.

Only a fool would ever open a plant of any kind in China ever again, now that they have become fascistic isolationists.

When were they ever anything else?

They are not friendly, cooperative, or even concerned about the well being of the world at large. 

China has Trump's America First policy X 1000. China is always first. China only cares about China. Nothing else matters.

Once again,when were they ever any different?

Other than maybe for that brief period when Marco Polo (I THINK that is who it was) went there to open trade routes with Europe. Which lasted for maybe 15 minutes.