Author Topic: Does America Need an Africa Strategy?  (Read 260 times)

rangerrebew

Does America Need an Africa Strategy?
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:27:26 am »

Does America Need an Africa Strategy?
Sam Wilkins
April 2, 2020

“I could make your life hell,” Senator Lindsey Graham reportedly told Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, if the Pentagon withdrew American troops from Africa. While Graham later denied the report, the senator confirmed that he warned against any potential force reductions as a part of the ongoing “blank slate review” of America’s military posture. Esper, meanwhile, pushed back against bipartisan Congressional support for a U.S. military presence in Africa, stating that the Defense Department’s review represents a key part of the National Defense Strategy’s ongoing focus on “great power competition.”

This recent debate over American military posture in Africa begs a more fundamental question — does the United States need an Africa strategy? For a continent so large and diverse, facing widely divergent challenges, is applying a continent-wide strategy even worthwhile? Layer on competing U.S. domestic interest groups, an independent-minded Congress, and unexpected crises, such as the 2014 Ebola outbreak or the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and one might be tempted to see attempts to conjure a coherent Africa strategy as either folly or neo-colonial hubris.

https://warontherocks.com/2020/04/does-america-need-an-africa-strategy/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Does America Need an Africa Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:44:17 pm »
Yes,it's called "get out and shut off all aid."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 04:13:39 pm »
I think the point is, if  you do leave it, terrorism will fester, terrorists will have camps there like al Qaeda had them in Afghanistan.

That said, drones and airstrikes can do a lot.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 07:20:52 pm »
I'd rather see an Antarctica Strategy first.  It's a far more valuable land mass.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:59 pm »
Question:
"Does America Need an Africa Strategy?"

Answer:
YES.
Get OUT of there, and leave that sh*thole to the native inhabitants...