Author Topic: The 10 Deadliest Disasters In American History  (Read 835 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 10 Deadliest Disasters In American History
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:36:04 pm »

History

The 10 Deadliest Disasters In American History

Before this life-altering pandemic, there have been plenty of other disasters. How did the nation respond? How should you?

By Dan Carpenter
April 6, 2020

COVID-19 is officially omnipresent. It’s a part of every conversation, news broadcast, social media post, and internet “water cooler chat.”

As the days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months, it seems foreign to even think about what we did before we quarantined. Driving to work, going to restaurants, and watching March Madness all seem a world away now.

But before this life-altering pandemic, there have been other disasters. Hurricanes. Fires. Terrorist attacks. Floods. Dozens of different man-made and natural disasters of all flavors, wreaking havoc and claiming lives.

Because we’ve exclusively had the coronavirus under the microscope for the last few months, I thought it would be interesting to widen our focus to look at some of the other disasters our nation has known. In the name of widening the focus from our current situation, I specifically haven’t included pandemics or epidemics on this list. Wars have also been excluded.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/06/the-10-deadliest-disasters-in-american-history/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The 10 Deadliest Disasters In American History
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:05:20 pm »
Sloppy research....missed two of the top 5

Peshtigo Fire

Hurricane Maria
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The 10 Deadliest Disasters In American History
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:37:20 pm »

The Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867

This one may not count. It occurred in Texas and after the Civil War Texas was not re-admitted to the Union until 1870
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:05:11 pm by Elderberry »