Author Topic: Why the U.S. Military Stopped Using Flamethrowers  (Read 347 times)

rangerrebew

Why the U.S. Military Stopped Using Flamethrowers
« on: April 05, 2020, 01:12:07 pm »

April 4, 2020

Why the U.S. Military Stopped Using Flamethrowers

Who would have guessed?
by Peter Suciu

The idea of using fire as a weapon likely occurred as soon as the first human settlement was attacked by a rival tribe. The problem is that fire doesn’t know friend from foe and for eons couldn’t really be controlled. The earliest known example of a “controlled burn” directed at an enemy was the Bzyantine’s “Greek Fire.”

Exactly what ingredients went into the mixture and how it was projected at an enemy remains a mystery, but it was certainly a heated, pressurized liquid that was delivered by a tube called a siphōn but it could also be used with hand-held projectors as well as in early grenades. It was mostly used to light enemy ships on fire from a reasonably safe distance. According to various sources Greek Fire was invented in the 7th century and helped the Byzantines fend off early Muslim assaults.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-us-military-stopped-using-flamethrowers-140667

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Why the U.S. Military Stopped Using Flamethrowers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:22:13 pm »
NOBODY wanted to carry and and use one. ONE bullet hit on a tank and it would explode,setting the operator on fire.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »
NOBODY wanted to carry and and use one. ONE bullet hit on a tank and it would explode,setting the operator on fire.

They were used in the Pacific island battles, to force the Japs out of the caves. Dead or alive.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 08:00:44 pm »
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:38 pm »
They were used in the Pacific island battles, to force the Japs out of the caves. Dead or alive.

@truth_seeker

I know. I know for a fact the NVA were still using them during the VN war.

I am semi-certain they were still in the US DoD stockpiles during the VN for US troops to use,but am not aware of anyone in a US uniform using one after the end of the Korean War.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 09:51:23 pm »
@truth_seeker

I know. I know for a fact the NVA were still using them during the VN war.

I am semi-certain they were still in the US DoD stockpiles during the VN for US troops to use,but am not aware of anyone in a US uniform using one after the end of the Korean War.

Didn't the enemy have extensive tunnels in VN?

My father served in the US Marines, Okinawa ampib invasion, 45 days of combat until badly wounded.

His older brother served there later during occupation of there (no scratches). H gave me the official military history of the Okinawa battle.

The Japs founght untill death, to kill or injure the max number of ours.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 10:03:45 pm »

Didn't the enemy have extensive tunnels in VN?

@truth_seeker

Yes.

My father served in the US Marines, Okinawa ampib invasion, 45 days of combat until badly wounded.

His older brother served there later during occupation of there (no scratches). H gave me the official military history of the Okinawa battle.

The Japs founght untill death, to kill or injure the max number of ours.

Yup! I was with 1st Group on Okie for a couple of years,and have been through the tunnels under what remained of Shuri Castle.