Author Topic: Eight Ways to Smash, not Just Flatten, the Coronavirus Curve  (Read 382 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Eight Ways to Smash, not Just Flatten, the Coronavirus Curve
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »
Eight Ways to Smash, not Just Flatten, the Coronavirus Curve
Susan M Malinowski, MD

As a surgeon, I sometimes deliver bad news. The reactions are predictable: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and, eventually, acceptance. Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in her classic 1969 book, “On Death and Dying,” described how we transition across these stages of grief when we receive bad news. I see the coronavirus pandemic forcing our nation along a similar journey, but we can’t languish — we must get to the final stage, acceptance, so we can act and minimize harm. We are clearly not there yet.

On January 23, 2020 Wuhan, China was quarantined. I remember hearing the news and realized this was the biggest story of the decade, if not the century. Yet the lockdown of Wuhan was sandwiched between stories of therapy animals on planes and whether Superbowl Sunday should be moved to Saturdays.

On February 3, 2020 I presented to a corporate investment committee giving my perspective, as a doctor, on why Covid19, then only in China, would cripple the US, if not the world. I predicted that the virus would spread to Europe and the US and suggested selling equities and shifting into cash. I explained the Kubler-Ross stages of grieving, and how our country and most of the world was in denial. Most in the room looked at me like I was Henny Penny saying the sky was falling. I tried to tell my doctor friends — many of them laughed at me and said I was an alarmist. My friends would not listen. I tried to prepare as best as I could on my own.

Read more at: https://medium.com/@smmalinowski/eight-ways-to-smash-not-just-flatten-the-coronavirus-curve-d7b27167d28f

Offline libertybele

Re: Eight Ways to Smash, not Just Flatten, the Coronavirus Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:19:12 pm »
Logical, plain and simple. The use of turning grounded aircraft into hospitals is a great idea; they already have the air filtration systems.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »
Great, common sense advice. Open air is something Cuomo has advocated in New York. It seems to have slowed things upstate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:41 pm »
Great, common sense advice. Open air is something Cuomo has advocated in New York. It seems to have slowed things upstate.

I'm usually up early morning. The first thing I do is open the doors and get a cross-breeze in the house and open windows in the bedrooms.  I then wipe down the counters with bleach and sanitize all the door handles, remotes, cell phones, and light switches.  I air out the house for at least an hour or so.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 01:51:00 am »
When you are done with a tent hospital, if need be you can burn the tents...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis