Author Topic: We Cannot Destroy The Country For The Sake Of New York City  (Read 382 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
We Cannot Destroy The Country For The Sake Of New York City
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:58:28 pm »
Wuhan Virus

New York City is being ravaged by the coranavirus, but the rest of the country is being destroyed by a generation of economic collapse.

By David Marcus
April 3, 2020

I imagine there are some people who love New York City more than I do, but I do love it. I love it with fervor of the convert. A Philadelphian by birth, for 20 years I have now walked the storied steel canyons of the world’s current capital.

There’s a reason the United Nations meets here, why artists and would-be stock barons alike come here. Now we are in the grip of the coronavirus, locked down. But our peril must not mean that the nation we represent must be destroyed.

I had occasion this week, as the virus ground us all to a stop, to talk to a friend in Indiana. I asked, “Is this the greatest crisis the country has ever faced?” We haven’t been invaded since 1812, I pointed out, and have never been occupied. Her reply, “What crisis?” She was in her backyard, her children playing. My life was at a bizarre standstill, death all around, hers was not. Yet all across the nation I don’t have time to think about lives are being destroyed, not by virus, but by an economic disaster unknown in a century.

The entire country, experts I trust tell us, must be shut down. Businesses shuttered, many with little hope of opening again. Ten million people unemployed in two weeks. Ten million. In that world beyond that Hudson River, an economic hammer is falling faster than the virus can spread. Who can think of money at a time like this? we are told. How callous. But it’s not just money. In its own way it’s lives, it is a way of life.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/03/we-cannot-destroy-the-country-for-the-sake-of-new-york-city/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: We Cannot Destroy The Country For The Sake Of New York City
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:50:47 pm »
Brilliant piece,  and necessary perspective.  Worth a bump.  It is not ordained that we commit national suicide.  It is a choice.

Come May,  we must demand our lives and freedoms back.   The virus will claim who it claims.  We know what we must do to stay safe - it is up to our own individual actions.   

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:51:33 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:55:14 pm »
Brilliant piece,  and necessary perspective.  Worth a bump.  It is not ordained that we commit national suicide.  It is a choice.

Come May,  we must demand our lives and freedoms back.   The virus will claim who it claims.  We know what we must do to stay safe - it is up to our own individual actions.

Agree 100%.  A good dose of stoicism and personal responsibility is needed here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »
The Federalist, Apr 3, 2020, David Marcus

I imagine there are some people who love New York City more than I do, but I do love it. I love it with fervor of the convert. A Philadelphian by birth, for 20 years I have now walked the storied steel canyons of the world’s current capital.

There’s a reason the United Nations meets here, why artists and would-be stock barons alike come here. Now we are in the grip of the coronavirus, locked down. But our peril must not mean that the nation we represent must be destroyed.

I had occasion this week, as the virus ground us all to a stop, to talk to a friend in Indiana. I asked, “Is this the greatest crisis the country has ever faced?” We haven’t been invaded since 1812, I pointed out, and have never been occupied. Her reply, “What crisis?” She was in her backyard, her children playing. My life was at a bizarre standstill, death all around, hers was not. Yet all across the nation I don’t have time to think about lives are being destroyed, not by virus, but by an economic disaster unknown in a century.

[...]

The counter point is that the virus will eventually spread from New York and inevitably infect the suburbs, exurbs, and rural areas. But in Europe and here at home that isn’t what has happened. In Washington state, where the first-recorded American cases occurred in Seattle, the number of cases has flattened. Why? Well, as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has pointed out, the population density and public transit usage in New York City makes us violently susceptible to this plague.

New York City is the center of the universe; by definition the center of the universe is an anomaly. We cannot base an entire national policy on an anomaly. Err on the side of caution, many say, but is it cautious to destroy entire communities through economic collapse that may not recover for a generation?

More:  https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/03/we-cannot-destroy-the-country-for-the-sake-of-new-york-city/

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 04:00:47 pm »
I am concerned that Dr. Birx is projecting NYC's mistakes and stupid hubris onto the rest of the country.

Offline MOD8

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:20:36 pm »
Merged topics

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 04:37:06 pm »
Dr.s Birx and Fauci need to become familiar with the term GIGO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 05:18:50 pm »

Good luck with that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 05:54:32 pm »

Saying that we are going to demand our lives and freedom back and getting the majority to go along with that is two different things.

While I absolutely agree with you, the National Guard has been called out in several states.  In my county, the sheriff's department has stated that they will be patrolling and looking for large numbers of cars in driveways, stopping cars at random to see where they are going and if they are complying. They are going to start fining repeat offenders. So --- the states and at least in my area the local law enforcement have turned us into a police state community.  We cannot come and go until this "stay at home" order is lifted by the governor, the mayor and the county and city council.

IMHO it is going to take a massive majority to overturn the freedoms that we gave up until we are awarded that freedom back. As time goes on, I seriously have my doubts.  I live in a county of over 750,000 people and we have appx. 280 cases and we have a stay at home order.  All parks, libraries, schools, and non-essential businesses were shut down weeks ago.

That is why Rand Paul made the comment to "resist".  No one at least it hasn't been reported that I know of is resisting. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:55:45 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »
Cuomo keeps saying that NYC's present is our future.  What if he's wrong and New York's just a festering outlier?   We have some Covid cases here in Philly but nothing whatsoever like New York.  What we do share in common is massive, unnecessary unemployment. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 10:53:48 pm »
Are you sure the correct term isn't WAG? No wait I believe that for them the term would be SWAG.