Author Topic: Navy Is Hardest-Hit Military Service in Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 419 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Is Hardest-Hit Military Service in Coronavirus Outbreak

25 Mar 2020
Military.com | By Gina Harkins

The Navy, which just announced its first positive novel coronavirus cases on a deployed aircraft carrier, has about a third of the military's COVID-19 patients.

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Tuesday that the service had 57 cases of COVID-19. Several of those sailors are assigned to Navy warships, including three on the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, which is deployed in the Asia-Pacific region.

The Pentagon -- which tallies the cases among uniformed personnel, dependents, Defense Department civilians and contractors -- on Tuesday reported 174 positive COVID-19 cases among service members. Data provided by the individual services total 170 cases.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/25/navy-hardest-hit-military-service-coronavirus-outbreak.html

rangerrebew

Re: Navy Is Hardest-Hit Military Service in Coronavirus Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:29:02 pm »
I was looking at a map of where the worst invasion is in the U.S. and to me seemed quite clear the middle section had been, relatively, held harmless.  All the areas near large bodies of water, be it the Great Lakes or the Oceans, were getting blasted.  If I add this to it, I have to wonder if the virus isn't somehow set off by moisture?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 06:20:36 pm »
Gee,who would ever suspect something like that would happen when you lock a bunch of people up inside a big steel box?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:22:58 pm »
Gee,who would ever suspect something like that would happen when you lock a bunch of people up inside a big steel box?

Yep. Close quarters.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:10:10 am »
The Navy would be a good "early adapter" of the new COVID-19 "quick test" system that just got released by Abbott Systems (I believe that's their name).

This test can produce results in about 5 minutes (for positive) and 15 minutes or so for negative.

On a Navy ship where "close quarters" is all that's available, this system could test an entire ship in relatively short order, making it possible to quickly identify and separate the infected from the non-infected.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:21:00 am »
I was looking at a map of where the worst invasion is in the U.S. and to me seemed quite clear the middle section had been, relatively, held harmless.  All the areas near large bodies of water, be it the Great Lakes or the Oceans, were getting blasted.  If I add this to it, I have to wonder if the virus isn't somehow set off by moisture?

Not so much that as the fact that metros are generally close to big water... And people tend to prefer being close to water at least historically, which impacted how this country was populated.

The real observance and  think correct interpretation, is those cities... Even here in Timbuckfour, our real infections are in the big cities, with rural areas pretty well unaffected.